Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• FIVB mindgames again? :aww:

If I recall correctly, many federations (Italy both men AND women) completely forgot to contact the federation in order to decide which competition they wanted to choose for the CEV ranking points assigment between WGP and that useless thing known as the "European Games", so they automatically got the latter as default.

There was quite a big debate on the fact that Italy basically got screwed up by getting zero points by scrapping WGP and WL results, so this might be the reason.

They "forgott" it ? ?(
    So basically Italy could choose their ranking and accordingly their group for euro qualifier, after all competitions had been completed? Am i right on this or do i miss something?
    I thought i had seen it all but still FIVB/CEV never fails to amaze me. Guess i will have to join the "cry club" too. :) :drink:

• They "forgott" it ? ?(
    So basically Italy could choose their ranking and accordingly their group for euro qualifier, after all competitions had been completed? Am i right on this or do i miss something?
    I thought i had seen it all but still FIVB/CEV never fails to amaze me. Guess i will have to join the "cry club" too. :) :drink:

Here are some links easily read with google translate:

http://dal15al25.gazzetta.it/2…olla-nel-ranking-europeo/

http://dal15al25.gazzetta.it/2…e-5a-nel-ranking-europeo/

Now Italy's points for the WGP and WL are back. Will it change again next week?

• When will FIVB or CEV published official pools ??

• Indeed, they have been updated just a few minutes ago. Here's the new ranking:

1 Russia
    2 Italy
    3 Serbia
    4 Turkey
    5 Germany
    6 Netherlands
    7 Belgium
    8 Poland
    9 Croatia
    10 Bulgaria

Now it all depends on which system will be used to determine the pools, serpentine or not.

• We do not know what was the case with Italy. If they decided before the season that they want points from EG and they changed their mind afterall then other federations should complain about this. This is unfair to them and they should have possibility to chose their points now too. But I think that besides Italy every federation have chosen good option.

• It would be the best and the most fair if all teams playes against each others, like on World Cup. :wavy:

• We do not know what was the case with Italy. If they decided before the season that they want points from EG and they changed their mind afterall then other federations should complain about this. This is unfair to them and they should have possibility to chose their points now too. But I think that besides Italy every federation have chosen good option.

My point is that nobody decided anything at all, the FIVB all of sudden decided that CEV points were the most important thing in the world and the federations (including Italy, but many other were involved) simply didn't notice how important this would have been for the Olympic qualification until it was too late. In the end I see that all top CEV nations got their best results counted in the ranking system.

Maybe it's right that federations should adapt according to the deadlines given by the FIVB, however if they change the qualification rules for the Olympic games every couple of years it's normal to see many people getting confused. Italy shouldn't plummet in the rankings because someone decided that the "European games" (whatever they are) are more important than the World League and the World Grand Prix.

• My point is that nobody decided anything at all, the FIVB all of sudden decided that CEV points were the most important thing in the world and the federations (including Italy, but many other were involved) simply didn't notice how important this would have been for the Olympic qualification until it was too late. In the end I see that all top CEV nations got their best results counted in the ranking system.

Maybe it's right that federations should adapt according to the deadlines given by the FIVB, however if they change the qualification rules for the Olympic games every couple of years it's normal to see many people getting confused. Italy shouldn't plummet in the rankings because someone decided that the "European games" (whatever they are) are more important than the World League and the World Grand Prix.

Well, Russia still have points from EG where they also sent B team. In WGP they were first european team, so they should have 50 pts. :whistle: And I am pretty sure that it was the fault of italian federation and you should pay for your own mistakes.

• why? so CRO can go 0-9 instead of 0-3? :olympia:

We will see, we are only one who beat Russia on ECH 3:0 :wavy: ,but again we can lose all matches but everything is open :D ...and it is 7 matches not 9 :lol:

• hahahahahaha....OMG :lol: :lol:
    :lol: Do you know what i have wrote ?I only mentioned rule from World Cup "every teams playes against each others" That means in Ankara, same city, 7 matches but it isn't a possible because EQT is from 4.1-9.1

• The current system is better, a team that is already qualified could easily lose their last match on purpose just to eliminate a very strong opponent from the Olympics.

The world cup itself after all was plagued (in previous years) by teams losing their matches on purpose in order to help countries of the same continent qualify to the games.

• It would be the best and the most fair if all teams playes against each others, like on World Cup. :wavy:

Actually it wouldy pretty nonsense. The tournament starts 4th of January, so basically teams have less than 2 weeks to preapare. And teams with stronger rosters would be damaged because their players are used in clubs more ofter so they would be pretty fatigued.
    Moreover, for example Guidetti can rest Buijs and Sloetjes in club before tournament. And what was mentioned before, once any team advances they can rest their best players, so quite unfair system.
    And all in all there is no time to do it.

The most fair thing would be kind of Race ranking from last OG 2012 to 2015. And Top 11 teams would advance. Simple and no added tournaments.

• Was there any official confirmation that serpentine system will be used? As far as I know before the Ankara 2012 qualification tournament there was a drawing of lots... :whistle:

• Was there any official confirmation that serpentine system will be used? As far as I know before the Ankara 2012 qualification tournament there was a drawing of lots...

No, there wasn't. I believe last time Turkey basically took worst teams to their group, because there is 0% chance serpentine would make Poland, Russia, Serbia and Holland into one group.The ranking was something like 1. Italy, 2. Russia, 3. Serbia, 4. Poland, 5. Germany back then so it's simply impossible.

• from CEV

The current ranking also determines the eight teams that are set to fight for the sole ticket at stake in early January in Ankara, Turkey, to join Serbia – runners-up from the 2015 FIVB Volleyball World Cup – as part of the European contingent for next year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The eight teams that will be competing next January 4-9 at Baskent Volleyball Hall in Ankara are Turkey as hosts of the Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament plus seven more as per the latest European Ranking, i.e. Russia, Italy, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, Poland and Croatia.

The respective National Federations are now due to confirm their team’s participation in the Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament by this coming Friday, October 9. After this preliminary step, the composition of the two preliminary pools of four teams each will be announced.

The eventual winners of the Olympic qualifier in Ankara will book their ticket to Rio 2016 whilst the runners-up and the third-placed team will continue to chase their Olympic dream at the World Olympic Qualification Tournament which is due to follow in May / June 2016 and will be taking place in Japan.

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"