2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• Europe will have a new qualification process. 36 countries will be divided to 6 groups with 6 countries in each group. Only winners of each group will get the ticket for WCH. For 6 runner ups from each group will be held another tournament and from these 6 teams 2 will get the ticket.

• According to wiki Europe has 46 Countries so if 36 play..

Yes, but AZE or ISR are not in Europe but are in CEV. There a few more examples like that.

7 places for NORCECA is big joke :D

It is. Japan do not want to have strong opponents on their field.
    So we have USA, Dominican Rep, Cuba, Puerto Rico and... no idea who can qualify. It is level of Africa.

• So we have USA, Dominican Rep, Cuba, Puerto Rico and... no idea who can qualify.

Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago or Canada.

Europe had 10 spots at last WCH (9+Italy). It might be intetesting battle for 8 spots. Turkey, Russia, Serbia, Netherlands, Belgium, Azerbaijan, Italy, Germany had big chances. But they are also Croatia, Czech Republic, Poland.

• Europe had 10 spots at last WCH (9+Italy). It might be intetesting battle for 8 spots. Turkey, Russia, Serbia, Netherlands, Belgium, Azerbaijan, Italy, Germany had big chances. But they are also Croatia, Czech Republic, Poland.

Don't forget Bulgaria please.[/quote]

he said big chances. HA!

just kidding. i think AZE level has dropped a lot since the last WCh (as per what we saw at baku euro games and euro olympic qualifying), so they might not have much chance to qualify again.

• just kidding. i think AZE level has dropped a lot since the last WCh (as per what we saw at baku euro games and euro olympic qualifying), so they might not have much chance to qualify again.

I forgot about Bulgaria. Sorry.

But Azerbaijan has Rahimova and young 'AZE' players like Samadova. I know this team is weird but they have chance to advance.

• NORCECA 7 vacancies are too many for them.
    5 vacancies including USA is just fair engough for NORCECA
    adding one for CSV and another for CEV....will definately make the competition more balanced.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• pappi, why CSV? it'd be maybe COL (4th). why not asia? last time, KOR didn't even go (it was just CHN, JPN, KAZ, THA).

for this edition, five asian teams (including Japan) is just fair enough....i cant see chinese taipei/Vietnam/Iran any more advantage against Colombia or Argentina, to be honest.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• for this edition, five asian teams (including Japan) is just fair enough....i cant see chinese taipei/Vietnam/Iran any more advantage against Colombia or Argentina, to be honest.

Using projected FIVB Ranking for Asia after Olympics (they haven't released the updating standings, but it should be close)

The drop off between Colombia and Australia and the other is pretty big based on the data below.

FIVB Ranking (My ranking in parenthesis)
    1. China (2)
    6. Japan (7)
    10T. South Korea (14)
    10T. Argentina (19)
    13. Thailand (16)
    21. Kazakhstan (23)
    30. Colombia (22)
    43. Australia (34)
    44T. Vietnam (38)
    55T. Chinese Taipei (45)
    55T. India (59)
    63T. New Zealand (132)
    65T. Hong Kong (75)
    65T. Indonesia (95)
    65T. Uzbekistan (132)

• obviously i have alzheimer's because i keep forgetting JPN doesn't count as one of the 4 spots for Asia, as host. so it'll most likely be KOR,CHN,THA and KAZ, leaving out TPE and VIE.

i don't really believe those stupid rankings. ARG is ranked 10th in the world? as good as KOR???? in your dreams.

if NORCECA gets 6 (+ USA) spots , then it'd be most likely DOM, PUR, CUB, CAN, MEX and TRI. the last 2-3 shouldn't even be at the WCh. what a JOKE, fivb, REALLY????!

• And it's actually a lot better than before, otherwise Argentina would have gotten also some points from the South American continental championships, same reason why we used to have men's Egypt and Tunisia stable in the world top 15.

It perfectly represents the weak era of women's volleyball.