2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• I used [_youtube_]-insert-youtube-link-[_/_youtube_] (remove the underscores). I got this tip from someone else post in this very forum but can't remember where. If there is a problem try removing or don't add the "https://" just the link like "www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVh9TFIJkPs".

Thanks theloneracer for the tip :thumbsup:

The key steps are:

(1) Use the pairing code [_youtube_]...[_/youtube_] to wrap up the YT link (just remove the underscores)

(2) the YT link must be in full format such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABCDEF123
    (won't accept the short form: https://youtu.be/ABCDED123)

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• CHN - KAZ 3-0 (25-14, 25-19, 25-15) No live stream coverage. Still awaiting the replay pops up later on... hopefully :-)

it sucks compared to the other pool hosted by Thaland... full live stream coverage.

At last a saviour

Replay China v Kazakhstan - 2018 FIVB Women's Volleyball World Championship Asian Qualifier 720HD

Slightly better videos:
    Part 1: CHN v KAZ - https://youtu.be/4Sbd0VAHjLY
    Part 2: CHN v KAZ - https://youtu.be/AO2hj0XPK_g

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 2 times, last by samsara ().

• it seems that KAZ x TPE will decide the 2nd qualifier for the WCh... i don't know TPE team at all, but if KAZ plays like crap as they have been playing, i wouldn't be surprised if they lose...

why does fivb throw teams together like CHN and FIJ? what's the point? shouldn't oceania have their own qualifying tournament, then have the winner (conceivably NZL) then play in the final round? not that NZL might do much better. even AUS sucks majorly (without rourke).

it seems that as expected the qualifiers will be CHN, KAZ, THA and KOR.

• it seems that sana (jarlagassova) anarkulova returned to the KAZ team and they beat AUS 3-1.

KAZ level seems to have fallen a lot since they beat KOR in 2014 to qualify for the WCh. on the other hand, CHN and KOR seem to be taking this very seriously. CHN sent its A team (why? they could have won with the B team), and KOR has KYK in the team.

i guess AUS doesn't really support its women's team, because they don't seem to have good coaching... and they have such ugly uniforms... they play like a high school team!

• You always bring your A team for World tournament qualifications because you can't afford any upsets even though your opponents are much weaker. Korea lost to Kazakhstan in 2014 with KYK so upsets can happen.

• KAZ level seems to have fallen a lot since they beat KOR in 2014 to qualify for the WCh. on the other hand, CHN and KOR seem to be taking this very seriously. CHN sent its A team (why? they could have won with the B team), and KOR has KYK in the team.

You always bring your A team for World tournament qualifications because you can't afford any upsets even though your opponents are much weaker. Korea lost to Kazakhstan in 2014 with KYK so upsets can happen.

And there is NO redemption stage unlike what the preachers love to tell their sheep... if a team ever slips away from the Qualifer due to some silly move or upset then just say bye bye to the main tournament and must wait for another 4 years to start over the campaign again... if happens so not even shedding any tears will relieve anything except to regret one's own stupidity. That's why bringing in an A-Team is a must! And I believe every team does the same!

Having said this i look forward seeing more show time of the bench players :D :dance6: let the core serve more as the bigger gun life insurance :whistle:

btw KAZ v TPE will determine the 5th Asian team in the 2018 WCh.

POOR North Korean team!!! HAD the PRK team joined this pool they might have bigger opportunity to represent the AVC... I think they have some good chance to compete with KAZ... and indeed love to see them through too.

Now I know that DPRK team is at least the 6th strongest team in ASIA.

Edited 3 times, last by samsara ().

• sure, you don't want any upsets. but for sure they could have rested zhu ting, zhang changning and yuan xinyue for these matches.

It is up to coach and players to decide if they want to play or not. Out of respect for opponents, maybe Zhu wants to play all teams. Kazakhstan's captain was excited to see Zhu showed up. I wish the bench would play all the matches but that is out of fans control.

• Thailand vs DPR Korea | FIVB Women's WCH Japan 2018 Asia qualifier | 18.15 Sep 23, 2017

An interesting match between the fast dynamic Thais vs the perseverant North Koreans!!

• Is it just me, or does the North Korean team look more solid than South Korea minus KYK?

Not only you... if you take out KYK then PRK can beat KOR :-)

Had PRK played in Pool A KAZ they could have beaten the host and represents Asia in the 2018 WCh :-)

• OMG, North Koreans playing an actual international tournament... Do they get any horrible penalties if they don't reach the expectations? Because many years ago I heard North Korean footballers who played in the World Cup 2010 were punished somehow after an embarrassing game, I really don't know how it could happen in this century.

I don't follow asian volleyball at all but I know the simple fact that Asian setters are amazing aka Takeshita, Feng, Tomkom and those Chinese, but the Korean setter who played in the World Grand Prix was amazingly horrible, I honestly wondered how her level can possibly belong to professional league and A national team where KYK plays for :rolll:

• OMG, North Koreans playing an actual international tournament... Do they get any horrible penalties if they don't reach the expectations? Because many years ago I heard North Korean footballers who played in the World Cup 2010 were punished somehow after an embarrassing game, I really don't know how it could happen in this century.

I don't follow asian volleyball at all but I know the simple fact that Asian setters are amazing aka Takeshita, Feng, Tomkom and those Chinese, but the Korean setter who played in the World Grand Prix was amazingly horrible, I honestly wondered how her level can possibly belong to professional league and A national team where KYK plays for :rolll:

There are so many smear campaigns to paint the closed country, North Korea, as a monster nation to fit the MSM projection. One should be aware of such efforts and doesn't just swallow all the spins... just remember about the Saddam Hussein's baby incubator fake stories as well as the falsified accusations on his WMD possession. Of course the North Korea is not rich and life there is facing many limitations and being worsened by all kinds of sanctions but they're fighting back hardly to keep their sovereignty and existence all these years.

All these difficulties they're facing just make myself appreciate even more the performance of PRK team in THA. knowing many teams from even abundant nations are simply playing inferior qualities.

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• just remember about the Saddam Hussein's baby incubator fake stories as well as the falsified accusations on his WMD possession

Exactly this. North Korea is hell on earth, but even then the majority of things we hear of if are fabricated or hugely exaggerated.

Can anyone explain me what's going on with team Australia? They've become complete garbage.

• Exactly this. North Korea is hell on earth, but even then the majority of things we hear of if are fabricated or hugely exaggerated.

Can anyone explain me what's going on with team Australia? They've become complete garbage.

The real hell on earth is the underreported YEMEN 8o

The Kangaroo Land may just possibly be undertaking a great rejuvenation strike so comes out with an inexperienced young team at the moment...

• well, i think we try to be fair here (...) and not mix politics and sports (...), and obviously we should try to separate the people of a country and its horrible government. (even though it's hard in the case of my own country, the USA, not to be appalled daily with that disgusting excuse of a "president")...

but i remember that when PRK did poorly in the men's WC of football (in s. africa, i think), there were reports that players were sent to labor camps. stories from the hermit kingdom unfort. are hard to confirm. and let's not forget that saddam hussein made his own son the head of the IRQ football federation, and supposedly players were assassinated by his orders. that's why -- although i was totally against the invasion of iraq -- i never felt sorry how saddam and his sons ended up (or qaddafi).

what i remember from PRK's participation at the WC in 2010 was the images of their star player, jong tae-se, crying while the national anthem was played. it was an indelible image, very moving.

i think while it's ok to condemn the n. korean regime and dictator, let's not forget that its people live under horrible conditions.

as for the women's VB NT, i never saw them play but i remember at some asian games years ago, they did well. they don't play every tournament but they are a medium level team, not great, not bad.

as for AUS, i wonder -- is the federation just not interested in women's sports, like IRN and all the middle-eastern and south-asian countries? it's a total shame. i don't blame rourke if she doesn't want to play with this team.

• FINAL RESULTS OF THE ASIAN QUALIFIER

Kazakhstan style -- "Boarding Pass" for the Asian Qualifiers - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Japan 2018

There's no upset at all in both pools even the order of winners follows strictly the ranks:

Pool A (KAZ): 1. CHN 2. KAZ
    Pool B (THA): 1. KOR 2. THA

If there's anything I wanna see is the FIVB/AVC to change in future to reflect the better and fairer qualifying competition, that is to merge the two small pools of 5 teams each into one bigger pool of 10 or more teams in one round robin competition -- every team faces the others, no escape, simply based on real strength, no influence of rank factor... and the tournament itself will be merrier staging the bigger party instead of two smaller; less fanfare events.

Had this kind system been implemented, possibly it would have been the North Korean team that represented the Asian Confederation as 4th qualifier instead of KAZ (not that I have anything against the cutie team from the Central Asia)... but perhaps this small pool segregation was intentionally designed to avoid upset by putting the hermitage nation along with the two obviously stronger teams: KOR & THA. Of course they may argue that two smaller events are easier to host and give more countries the chance to host it to increase the sport popularity....

This boarding pass is typical KAZ style see no such thing from THA...

The cutie Kristina Anikonova was rather "hidden" in pic