2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• If FIVB will use serpentine system for first 12 teams as they did in last editions, pools will be as following;

Pool-A: JPN-NED-DOM
    Pool-B: CHN-ITA-KOR
    Pool-C: USA-RUS-ARG
    Pool-D: SRB-BRA-TUR

Quite bad draw for Turkey :S If we will get BUL also drawn in that group, it will be the group of death :box: We have a ridiculous tournament formula anyway, it really doesn't make much difference in which group you are for the first phase :aww:

• If FIVB will use serpentine system for first 12 teams as they did in last editions, pools will be as following;

Quite bad draw for Turkey :S If we will get BUL also drawn in that group, it will be the group of death :box: We have a ridiculous tournament formula anyway, it really doesn't make much difference in which group you are for the first phase :aww:

pool D is a death pool。。。 :teach:

Is it arranged based on the current WR?

Pool-A: JPN-NED-DOM 6-8-9 = 23 (summed up WR)
    Pool-B: CHN-ITA-KOR 1-7-10 = 18
    Pool-C: USA-RUS-ARG 2-5-11 =18
    Pool-D: SRB-BRA-TUR 3-4-12 = 19

"We have a ridiculous tournament formula anyway, it really doesn't make much difference in which group you are for the first phase"
    Does it mean that in the first phase the top-3 of each pool will advance to the next phase?

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Does it mean that in the first phase the top-3 of each pool will advance to the next phase?

The top 4, if it's like the Men WCh formula.

But in the second phase the teams will keep the points made in the first phase, so having a tough first pool isn't very good in that prospective.
    And in the second phase only 6 team will pass: the 4 first teams of the 4 pools, plus (I guess) the two best second. (for the men is: the best second of the two italians pools and the best second of the two bulgarian pools).

• Top 4 teams from each pool will advance to second round.

Second round pools will be: A1-A2-B1-B2-C3-C4-D3-D4 while other group will consist of C1-C2-D1-D2-A3-A4-B3-B4. If there won't be any surprises and TUR will finish as 3rd in their group, it will play against JPN-NED-CHN and ITA (again in the case that there won't be any surprises with the ranking). Of course all this calculations are unnecessary until we know the final rosters of each team since absence of a few players can drastically change the odds and it is impossible to guess one year beforehand :whistle:

• Wait, in the second round there will be two pools of eight teams? Not 4 pools of 4?
    So, the first 3 for each pool will pass?

16 teams will be split into two pools of eight http://japan2018.fivb.com/en/competition/formula

It is not clear though, does that mean each team will play against other 6 teams that are not coming from the same group :huh:

• Oh God, trust the FIVB to make the most convoluted and needlesly drawn out competition format possible. I shudder to think how many dead matches there are going to be in the second round.

So great that we now have the "blink and you miss it" ECh where the eventual winner may only play 6 matches on their way to the title and the neverending WCh where the finalists will have played 15 matches each in total, with nothing in between.

• Oh God, trust the FIVB to make the most convoluted and needlesly drawn out competition format possible. I shudder to think how many dead matches there are going to be in the second round.

So great that we now have the "blink and you miss it" ECh where the eventual winner may only play 6 matches on their way to the title and the neverending WCh where the finalists will have played 15 matches each in total, with nothing in between.

That's WHY the World Championship is the truly most prestigious tournament sport-wise... whereas the OG gets its fame mixed with the "political" factor :cup:

Due to the extended duration and number of matches, ideally the number of players a team may bring along should be maxed out... 14 or better again 16 :D

Thanks Kk15 and Serdar for the info :thumbup:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Wait, in the second round there will be two pools of eight teams? Not 4 pools of 4?
    So, the first 3 for each pool will pass?

I think it is the same formula from 2014. In the 2nd round with 2 pools of 8, each team will only play 4 games, they will only play against the 4 teams they did not face in the first round.

In 2014 they had BRA,SRB,BUL,TUR,RUS,USA,NED,KAZ in the same group in the 2nd round. But for example Brazil only played against RUS,USA,NED and KAZ. And they carry points from the first round into the second round.

• Oh ok, they won`t do like in 2014 having only Pool A crossing with D and B with C.

This formula SUCKS... FIVB has no clue in how to make a tournament exciting. If the World Cup had this same formula it would not be as popular as it is for sure, FIVB should make a exciting tournament by creating round of 16, or at the least quaterfinals.

• This formula SUCKS... FIVB has no clue in how to make a tournament exciting. If the World Cup had this same formula it would not be as popular as it is for sure, FIVB should make a exciting tournament by creating round of 16, or at the least quaterfinals.

Totally agree. They have made the 2nd pool even longer when they should have been scrapping the idea altogether :wall:

Like you say, everyone watches the World Cup and of course that is because football is much more popular than everything else, but also because it is genuinely exciting and every game feels as though it matters.

Imagine you are watching the WCH and a casual volleyball fan comes in and asks what stage the competition is at. And you have to explain "This is the 4th match of the 2nd group phase between team A who are already through to the next round and team B who are basically already out and they each have 2 more pretty much pointless matches to play." Then watch as the casual fan leaves the room because only hardcore volleyball fans will watch this.

FIVB's efforts at "growing the sport" are hopeless as usual :aww:

• according to volleyrussia the pools are set.

Pool A: Japan, Netherlands, Dominican Republic, Germany, Cameroon, Cuba
    Pool B: China, Italy, Korea, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico
    Pool C: USA, Russia, Argentina, Thailand, Kazakhstan, Kenya
    Pool D: Serbia, Brazil, Turkey, Bulgaria, Azerbaijan, Trinidad and Tobago

http://www.russiavolley.com/11…omens-world-championship/

If this is really true, we could assume in round 2.

Pool E : Japan, Netherlands, China, Italy, Thailand, Argentina, Turkey, Bulgaria.

Pool F: Dominican Republic, Germany, Korea, Puerto Rico, USA, Russia, Serbia, Brazil.

But I think Azerbaijan could surprise Turkey/Bulgaria, maybe Cuba could upset Germany, Canada could beat Puerto Rico. And Turkey could surprise Brazil/Serbia as well.

• I can't with this system. These groups are hilarious. As well as being totally unbalanced in terms of quality, they are geographically unbalanced as well. 3 North American teams in Pool B, 4 European teams in Pool D :what:

• Oh God :aww:
    I preferred not to know :lol:

Anyway, the second phase is actually different between Men and Women WCh, which is even more pointless. If you think one formula is the perfect one ( ?( ), why do you use two different formulas? With a different number of match, apparently...
    I guess it's because the Men WCh is hosted by two countries?

Second phase: 4 pools of 4 teams. The first of each pool is qualified, plus the best second in the Italian pools and the best second in the Bulgarian pools (a thing I don't like)

Or that is what I read on volleyball.it...
    I checked on FIVB, it's right: http://italy-bulgaria2018.fivb.com/en/competition/formula