2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• Maybe I misunderstand you--which is likely--but how is seeding the third row through random draw less random than seeding it 1-11? Or are you saying the randomness of seeding it randomly makes it less interesting/important? When the pools were posted here as 1-11 people whined about that. Then the official pools are posted and people whine about that. Turkey could have ended up in Pool A.

Where I come up short from jumping on the whine about everything attitude bandwagon here is, for example, lets say in the second round we come to a match where it doesn't matter if China wins or loses because they are advancing anyway. So Liu Xiaotong plays instead of Zhu Ting. I'm happy about that. To assert that it doesn't matter to Liu Xiaotung if she wins or loses the game is pathetic (not that you are saying that, brahmin). Or that it doesn't matter to the players playing for 5th/6th after they've been eliminated from a medal? Please.

There are people in the world who enjoy watching volleyball. And there are volleyball players who enjoy, and care, about playing volleyball. The more the merrier. Bring it on! If your team is the best, they will win and we will congratulate you.

Maybe I misunderstand you--which is likely--but how is seeding the third row through random draw less random than seeding it 1-11? Or are you saying the randomness of seeding it randomly makes it less interesting/important? When the pools were posted here as 1-11 people whined about that. Then the official pools are posted and people whine about that. Turkey could have ended up in Pool A.

Where I come up short from jumping on the whine about everything attitude bandwagon here is, for example, lets say in the second round we come to a match where it doesn't matter if China wins or loses because they are advancing anyway. So Liu Xiaotong plays instead of Zhu Ting. I'm happy about that. To assert that it doesn't matter to Liu Xiaotung if she wins or loses the game is pathetic (not that you are saying that, brahmin). Or that it doesn't matter to the players playing for 5th/6th after they've been eliminated from a medal? Please.

There are people in the world who enjoy watching volleyball. And there are volleyball players who enjoy, and care, about playing volleyball. The more the merrier. Bring it on! If your team is the best, they will win and we will congratulate you.

Seeding the 3rd row as well could make DOM in the Pool A with Japan. However, when they seed only first 2 row and "draw" others, the weakest among KOR-DOM-TUR-ARG ended up in Japan's group. If 12 teams were seeded than ARG would be in Pool C with USA and RUS. If FIVB would have seeded first 12 teams, the pools would have been as following:

Pool-A: JPN-NED-DOM
    Pool-B: CHN-ITA-KOR
    Pool-C: USA-RUS-ARG
    Pool-D: SRB-BRA-TUR

• The girl in the kimono (Saori Sakoda) put a little sticky stuff on the ARG ball so the other former Japanese NT player who had to pick one would know which one to pick. That’s easy.

• Every year it's the same story: Japanese sweet, sweet money does it's thing, and we all play-pretend we are surprised...

OMG!!! Japan was really lucky there!!!

:D :lol:

• I'd love to see a tournament that was March Madness style win or go home. Boom! That's what I grew up on.

The system as it is seems tortured and convoluted ... more, or less, because Japan has lots of money and are charming hosts. I get that. But it is what it is. The overwhelming consensus for this year's tournaments was that Montreux was a circus sideshow, WGP was unimportant, ACh--gimme a break, WGCC was meaningless, ECh praise the lord, and now the WCh is a joke. Seems sad. But it is what it is.

If you want tortured and convoluted look at the Men's 2010 World Championships, the worst format designed to make sure the hosts Italy advanced through all rounds. Six 4 team pools in the first round, top 3 advance. Six 3 team pools in second round, top 2 advance. Four 3 team pools in third round, all 12 teams to playoffs, 3rd place in pool 9th-12th, 2nd place 5th-8th, and 1st place to semifinals and medal round. Everybody not named Italy hated the format. It was dumped immediately afterwards.

The system that is used has been the same for a while, but the FIVB wants teams to play a certain number of matches to start the tournament at 5. This seams right in my mind. Sadly because there are only two pools in the second round, you cannot wipe the slate clean. They have to carry the results for the teams from their pools in the first round. I would prefer the have the third round be eliminated and just go to the quarterfinals with the top 4 teams from each pool, but random draw for the 1st-4th (will it be E1 vs. E4 or F4?) and the same for 2nd-3rd matches in that round. Then consolation bracket 5th-8th and semifinals/medal round. The additional pool play in the 3rd round kind of leaves me with a so what feeling, unless the USA or Japan needs to win.

• The calendar this season makes no sense.

VNL starts on May 15 and ends on July 1.....the World Championship stars only 3 months later on September 29 and ends on October 20.

That means VNL won`t even be useful as preparation for the WCH because there`s 3 months until the WCH starts.. and every team will need to schedule a bunch of friendly games to prepare for the WCH...

But the Men`s NVL starts after the women`s and the men`s WCH is before the women`s...makes no sense.

The WCH Final is on October 20. Just to have a idea last this season the Italian and Brazilian League started on October 15 (2017) Turkey on the 17th, V-League on the 21st.

Every League will need to adjust their schedule and start the season later or start the season without their main stars. Either way all these players will have no rest at all from the WCH to the club season. Just like last year when the ECH ended just 1 week before the club season started......

And what is the 3 month break for??!!!! I wonder if the soccer World Cup has anything to do with it....
    The Women`s WCH should be played in July/August and Men`s in August/September.

The men`s schedule is good...but the women got screwed.

• I wonder if the soccer World Cup has anything to do with it....

Unfortunately it does. But I agree the schedule is ridiculous.

• Between these 3 months, it has a lot of tournaments in the AVC calendar.

11-18 Jul: Asian Club Championship 2018
    30 Jul - 5 Aug: AVC Women’s Challenge Cup 2018
    18 Aug - 2 Sep: Volleyball competition in Asian Games 2018
    17-23 Sep: AVC Cup 2018

• Unfortunately it does. But I agree the schedule is ridiculous.

Football World Cup has already mangled FIBA competitions and schedules beyond recognition and reason. If it were to do the same to FIVB...

What the hell do the people in charge of these organisations think that they could compete with football in any way, shape or form? The viewership for World Cup should simply have no bearing whatsoever on the decisions of these 2 governing bodies...instead they act as if they are in some way competing for viewers's attentions with World Cup...as if scheduling their competitions as to skirt the World Cup will have any bearing on viewership numbers.

FIBA has carried this to the absolute extreme, where they have tailor-made their 4-year cycle around the central idea of avoiding any and all competitions in the entire year that the World Cup is held (not just in that month, but in that year!)!! Without exaggerating, that is probably the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

• As this thread has gone so many pages, finding some info about the World Championships is no longer easy here. A site like this has its info arranged neatly and much more easier to read and locate the needed info.

Just a handy refresh for I believe it's already posted at some pages (???) previously :

2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…en%27s_World_Championship

Event duration: 29 Sep ~ 20 Oct

Pool composition at the First Round:

Pool A: JPN NED ARG GER CMR MEX

Pool B: CHN ITA TUR BUL CAN CUB

Pool C: USA RUS KOR THA AZE TTO

Pool D: SRB BRA DOM PUR KAZ KEN

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• have i told that Turkey is in the toughest pool : Pool B :huh:

China,Italy and even Bulgaria with full roster is a tough opponent :!:

Pool A :lol:

if Korea and Thailand adn Azerbaijan play their best volley then second toughest Pool is Pool C

shortly, toughness of the Pools : B>C>D>A

which pool is the toughest : Pool B or Pool C ?

• It doesn't really matter because Pool B and Pool C will be combined in the second stage:what:

• It benefits the host, making it easier to go to third round. I don't see any upsets for groups A and D. Pretty much it is Japan, Netherlands, Serbia, and Brazil fighting for 3 spots.

• Pool C ?? Russia is the weakest team among the TOP teams....Azerbaijan ??? The only FIVB tournament they play is WCH, other than that they don`t even belong among the Top 24 teams in the WCH.... that 4th place in ECH was only because they hosted.

Thailand was terrible at VNL finishing in #15 while Korea #12.

USA will finish 5-0 without loosing a single set.... and this should already be enough to put them in the 3rd round as long as they beat the 4th place in Pool B ( very likely Bulgaria). This because at least 2 teams of China/Italy/Turkey will bring to the 3rd round at least 1 or 2 looses.

Russia also will finish 4-0....

If China/Italy/Turkey split wins, they could all go the 3rd round with 4-1...and as long they all beat USA ( not very likely) ...all 3 could advance. But let`s say that Turkey loose for China and Italy they will go with 3-2 to the 3rd round...and unless a major upset happens with USA/Russia/Italy...Turkey will go into the 3rd round with no realist chances in advancing....That`s why I hate this format ....carrying points is not only not fair but it is boring....basically every team that finishes in 3rd or 4th place has no changes in advancing unless major upsets happens in the 2nd round.

• It is better to qualify out of a tough group than an easy one.

• Russia will be a better team than the team in the VNL with addition of some older players

Korea,Thailand and Azerbaijan are more dangerous teams than Argentina,Cameroon,Mexico,Kenya,Kazakhistan..arent they ?

even Puerto Rico isnt a good team currently..am i wrong ?

• Korea,Thailand and Azerbaijan are more dangerous teams than Argentina,Cameroon,Mexico,Kenya,Kazakhistan..arent they ?

even Puerto Rico isnt a good team currently..am i wrong ?

Yes...but you forgot to mention that Pool B has Canada and Cuba....China/Italy/Turkey can beat these 2 even if they play with their legs tied....even Bulgaria will do the same.... China/Italy/Turkey are already qualified for the 2nd round...so what`s the big deal here? Yeah it sucks for the 3rd placed team as they won`t have any real chances in advancing basically.... but let`s keep in mind Turkey and Italy has been sucking really bad for a long time and just now they finally got stronger... so is not like that they would deserve to be in Group A or D. If they wanted to be in a weaker group they should have won a Medal at the Olympics and World Cup like Serbia did.

u forgot to mention Pool C has Trinidad and Tobago, and Arzerbaijan is not even part of the elite of volleyball ( not even close). Do u really think USA and Russia will have any problems against Korea and Thailand?? so yeah USA and Russia are already qualified for the 2nd round....so what`s the big deal here??

Unfortunately volleyball is not like the World Cup where any team can loose to anyone and we never know what`s gonna happen.

Final 6.

Brazil - Serbia - Netherlands/Japan.

USA - China - Italy/Turkey.