You are not logged in.

Sunday, December 10th 2017, 5:59pm

Fivb world grand prix is just a practise arena for young players~~! :teach:

Did you watch any of it? Sure, some teams give playing time to underlings, but that's why it's an important tournament, imho. Go watch the CHN v NED match and report back on the "just a practice arena" theory. One of the better endings to a game I've seen. People probably credit Zhu TIng for landing about nine kills in a row to finish it, but it was Liu Xioatung and her elephant balls who scored a block out at 14-10 in NED's favor of the Tie-break, and then went with a jump serve (that caused even the announcer to gulp), and ACED it. Young players can't do that. Her next three serves hit the net and went over. "Oh the Drama"! Great fun.

Posted by ZodiacTTT: "Sidenote: Ugly japs trying to cheat in the set 2 is just so typical of them :down:" Reported as inappropriate but condoned by moderators who enjoy watching grumpy old men disrespect young women. Typical.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "sitenoise" (Dec 10th 2017, 6:06pm)

Monday, December 11th 2017, 12:30am

well, maybe it's not a conspiracy, but the ranking system being so stupid put ARG ranked too high (ahead of PUR, AZE, THA, TUR, GER and BUL), and wow... coincidence, it fell into the host's group! wow, how convenient. that's why that group is so skewed.

but then JPN has had luck in the last 2 olympics, in both times landing in the easiest and most ridiculous group. in london, all it had to do was beat ALG and GBR (!) to get to the QFs, and in rio, they again only had to beat ARG and CMR to advance... luck is always on their side, it seems...

as for the WGP, i think it's quite exciting and fun to watch some of those matches because coaches are trying out new players and it's always fun to "discover" new players. remember when egonu and sylla first emerged????? kinda like montreux too, you never know who's gonna show up. the only times i ever saw alexis crimes for example was when she played for the US at montreux and GP.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ossubtus" (Dec 11th 2017, 12:37am)

• "serdar" is male

Favourite Team: Cuban NT, Turkish NT, VAKIFBANK

Favourite Players: A. Orro/O. Malinov/H. Miyashita/X. Gong/T. Boskoviç/M. Vargas/P. Egonu/I. Haak/H. Klimets/Z. Ting/C. Zhang/Gabi/B. Busa/M. Sylla/C. Bosetti/I. Voronkova/K. Ilchenko/D. Santana/J. Geerties/C. Plak/M. Mlejnkova/A. Leyva/L. Scuka/C. van Gestel/B. Herbotts/N. Daalderop/C. Chirichella/I. Fetisova/K. Akman/M. Popoviç/A. Danesi/S. Bonifacio/Y. Xinyue/Z. Todorova/A. De Tant

Monday, December 11th 2017, 1:05am

If you loose a quaterfinal game you are done with the season, same thing when you loose a semi-final series you are done, there`s no 3rd place match in any volleyball league (at least as far as I know)
I remember Polish league last season (or maybe the year before, not sure) had classfication matches for every rank, even for 11th :rolll:

Oh ok yeah...and their format is really stupid. There`s no quaterfinal...only semi-finals and then all these worthless 5th to 11th place,

but still.... I guess Poland is the one one that does... Turkey, Brazil, Italy don`t do that.

That's not true! Turkey has also matches to decide 3rd, 5th etc. They did it last year and will be the same this year :rolleyes:

• "serdar" is male

Favourite Team: Cuban NT, Turkish NT, VAKIFBANK

Favourite Players: A. Orro/O. Malinov/H. Miyashita/X. Gong/T. Boskoviç/M. Vargas/P. Egonu/I. Haak/H. Klimets/Z. Ting/C. Zhang/Gabi/B. Busa/M. Sylla/C. Bosetti/I. Voronkova/K. Ilchenko/D. Santana/J. Geerties/C. Plak/M. Mlejnkova/A. Leyva/L. Scuka/C. van Gestel/B. Herbotts/N. Daalderop/C. Chirichella/I. Fetisova/K. Akman/M. Popoviç/A. Danesi/S. Bonifacio/Y. Xinyue/Z. Todorova/A. De Tant

Monday, December 11th 2017, 1:10am

FIVB changed the seeding to only host +top 7 teams. Last two tournaments it was host + top 11. I think that the extra row gave the tournament a little more randomness.

Maybe I misunderstand you--which is likely--but how is seeding the third row through random draw less random than seeding it 1-11? Or are you saying the randomness of seeding it randomly makes it less interesting/important? When the pools were posted here as 1-11 people whined about that. Then the official pools are posted and people whine about that. Turkey could have ended up in Pool A.

Where I come up short from jumping on the whine about everything attitude bandwagon here is, for example, lets say in the second round we come to a match where it doesn't matter if China wins or loses because they are advancing anyway. So Liu Xiaotong plays instead of Zhu Ting. I'm happy about that. To assert that it doesn't matter to Liu Xiaotung if she wins or loses the game is pathetic (not that you are saying that, @brahmin). Or that it doesn't matter to the players playing for 5th/6th after they've been eliminated from a medal? Please.

There are people in the world who enjoy watching volleyball. And there are volleyball players who enjoy, and care, about playing volleyball. The more the merrier. Bring it on! If your team is the best, they will win and we will congratulate you.

FIVB changed the seeding to only host +top 7 teams. Last two tournaments it was host + top 11. I think that the extra row gave the tournament a little more randomness.

Maybe I misunderstand you--which is likely--but how is seeding the third row through random draw less random than seeding it 1-11? Or are you saying the randomness of seeding it randomly makes it less interesting/important? When the pools were posted here as 1-11 people whined about that. Then the official pools are posted and people whine about that. Turkey could have ended up in Pool A.

Where I come up short from jumping on the whine about everything attitude bandwagon here is, for example, lets say in the second round we come to a match where it doesn't matter if China wins or loses because they are advancing anyway. So Liu Xiaotong plays instead of Zhu Ting. I'm happy about that. To assert that it doesn't matter to Liu Xiaotung if she wins or loses the game is pathetic (not that you are saying that, @brahmin). Or that it doesn't matter to the players playing for 5th/6th after they've been eliminated from a medal? Please.

There are people in the world who enjoy watching volleyball. And there are volleyball players who enjoy, and care, about playing volleyball. The more the merrier. Bring it on! If your team is the best, they will win and we will congratulate you.

Seeding the 3rd row as well could make DOM in the Pool A with Japan. However, when they seed only first 2 row and "draw" others, the weakest among KOR-DOM-TUR-ARG ended up in Japan's group. If 12 teams were seeded than ARG would be in Pool C with USA and RUS. If FIVB would have seeded first 12 teams, the pools would have been as following:

Pool-A: JPN-NED-DOM
Pool-B: CHN-ITA-KOR
Pool-C: USA-RUS-ARG
Pool-D: SRB-BRA-TUR

Monday, December 11th 2017, 2:16am

The girl in the kimono (Saori Sakoda) put a little sticky stuff on the ARG ball so the other former Japanese NT player who had to pick one would know which one to pick. That’s easy.

Posted by ZodiacTTT: "Sidenote: Ugly japs trying to cheat in the set 2 is just so typical of them :down:" Reported as inappropriate but condoned by moderators who enjoy watching grumpy old men disrespect young women. Typical.

Janko

Beginner

• "Janko" is male

Favourite Team: Serbia NT (F/M), Netherlands NT (F), Dominican Republic NT (F), Russia NT (F), VakifBank, Eczacıbaşı

Favourite Players: Tijana Boskovic, Stefana Veljkovic, Jovana Brakocevic, Maja Ognjenovic, Milena Rasic, Robin de Kruijf, Celeste Plak, Hande Baladin, Zeng Chunlei, Francesca Piccinini, Jaqueline Carvalho, Brayelin Martínez, Sheilla Castro

Monday, December 11th 2017, 9:57am

Every year it's the same story: Japanese sweet, sweet money does it's thing, and we all play-pretend we are surprised...

OMG!!! Japan was really lucky there!!!

:D :lol:

brahmin

Master

• "brahmin" is male

Favourite Team: USA Men NT, USA Women NT, Japan Women NT

Yesterday, 3:49pm

I'd love to see a tournament that was March Madness style win or go home. Boom! That's what I grew up on.

The system as it is seems tortured and convoluted ... more, or less, because Japan has lots of money and are charming hosts. I get that. But it is what it is. The overwhelming consensus for this year's tournaments was that Montreux was a circus sideshow, WGP was unimportant, ACh--gimme a break, WGCC was meaningless, ECh praise the lord, and now the WCh is a joke. Seems sad. But it is what it is.

If you want tortured and convoluted look at the Men's 2010 World Championships, the worst format designed to make sure the hosts Italy advanced through all rounds. Six 4 team pools in the first round, top 3 advance. Six 3 team pools in second round, top 2 advance. Four 3 team pools in third round, all 12 teams to playoffs, 3rd place in pool 9th-12th, 2nd place 5th-8th, and 1st place to semifinals and medal round. Everybody not named Italy hated the format. It was dumped immediately afterwards.

The system that is used has been the same for a while, but the FIVB wants teams to play a certain number of matches to start the tournament at 5. This seams right in my mind. Sadly because there are only two pools in the second round, you cannot wipe the slate clean. They have to carry the results for the teams from their pools in the first round. I would prefer the have the third round be eliminated and just go to the quarterfinals with the top 4 teams from each pool, but random draw for the 1st-4th (will it be E1 vs. E4 or F4?) and the same for 2nd-3rd matches in that round. Then consolation bracket 5th-8th and semifinals/medal round. The additional pool play in the 3rd round kind of leaves me with a so what feeling, unless the USA or Japan needs to win.

Social bookmarks