2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• For South America , Brazil is classified already:

South American Volleyball Confederation (CSV)
    In South America, 2015 South American champions Brazil are qualified for the Women's World Championship in 2018. They will be joined by one team following a South American qualification tournament to be confirmed. The same is true for the men's teams, where 2015 South American champions Brazil will be joined by one other South America country following a qualification tournament to be confirmed.

This, to me, doesn't make sense. How come a confederation tournament from 2015 will be valid as a qualification tournament for the 2018 World Championship???

so, in reality, there is one ticket available for south America. I don't get it.

• interesting , even Scotland has a team but not England...

I'm not sure about other sports, but in team sports, like hockey, rugby, football. There are England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland teams.

There are many complex about sovereign state. There is team Great Britain in the Olympic, not England. Because GB is the member of IOC, others not. The athletes from Northern Ireland must choose to compete under GB or Ireland, because GB doesn't include Northern Ireland. United Kingdom is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

If you see the member in NORCECA, you will see more complex. Like US citizen, Puerto Rican, Guam people, and american Samoan, US virgin Islander They are American who use American passport, but last three can't elect US president. Guam and American Samoa are member of AVC.

In Kingdom of the Nertherlands, You will see Aruba, Curacao, Dutch St. Maarten,... in NORCECA competition. But, in Olympic, only Aruba, Curacao can compete. The others must compete under the Netherlands

You can see French Guyana compete in continental cup of beach volleyball. But, if they win, they can't compete in the Olympic.

Moreover, Macau and Hong Kong participate the Olympic, but when they win, the athletes stand for Chinese anthem.

The most complex one is Taiwan that can't use Taiwan, Chinese Taipei intead.

• This, to me, doesn't make sense. How come a confederation tournament from 2015 will be valid as a qualification tournament for the 2018 World Championship???

Agree.

so, in reality, there is one ticket available for south America. I don't get it.

I will show you this http://www.fivb.com/en/about/n…-to-be-confirmed?id=58748

CSV had 7 registered teams. CAVB had 29 teams. I think it make sense. Accaully South American has only 12 country, but I'm not sure Suriname or Guyana is the part of NORCECA. The way to get more spots for South America is merge with NORCECA like some sport Federation.

• Seriously, 6 countries from NORCEA and 8 from Europe? lol ;(

Is there more than 6 countries in NORCEA which play volleyball? I mean USA, Dominican Rep., Puerto Rico should play, but Canada and Cuba? It's just ridicoulus. They've got more vacancies than Asia ;o What is wrong with these people?

And considering we have Russia, Serbia, Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Poland, Turkey, Germany, Bulgaria, Croatia, Azerbijan and Czech Rep., with every country being better team than 4th from NORCEA and 2nd from South America it's quite outrageous.

Russia, Serbia, Italy, Turkey, Germany and Netherlands will be seeded.

• yes, i am aware that the various british countries have separate teams. i was commenting on the lack of popularity of volleyball in england, if even scotland and northern ireland have teams, but england does not. but then the english are weird, they like weird sports... :D

i think CSV should get another spot. i don't see why PER and ARG could not be at the WCh. but NORCECA shouldn't have more than 5: USA, DOM, PUR, and two between CUB/MEX/CAN is enough. even 4 is enough, but not 7.

• European qualification tournament:

Pool A: Croatia (org.), Russia, Hungary, Greece, Austria, Georgia
    Pool B: Poland (org.), Serbia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Cyprus, Iceland
    Pool C: Bulgaria (org.), Turkey, Romania, Switzerland, Montenegro, Kosovo
    Pool D: Belgium (org.), Italy, Belarus, Spain, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Pool E: Azerbaijan (org.), Netherlands, Israel, Ukraine, Denmark, Norway
    Pool F: Portugal (org.), Germany, France, Finland, Slovenia, Estonia

• My two cents...Europe loses 2 spots, NORCEA gets an extra 1 and Asia grabs an extra spot for hosting. I don't understand any of it. NORCEA get an extra slot because USA gets an automatic bid from a team that won in 2014. But they will always have a strong team NORCEA has weak teams, whereas Europe has many strong teams and should get an extra 1 or 2 slots. But I guess it gives weaker teams a chance to improve and get a chance to play at a higher level. The FIVB never makes any sense.

• Luckiest draw for GER and quite bad one for POL and CZE :down:

• BTW, Is laola working correctly?
    It worked well during Italian league play-offs but today I can't watch any video. I see only the black screen with Laola's logo on the top. (I turned off Adblock)

• BTW, Is laola working correctly?
    It worked well during Italian league play-offs but today I can't watch any video. I see only the black screen with Laola's logo on the top. (I turned off Adblock)

Are you using Firefox? I had the same problem until I switched to Chrome, in which Laola works just fine. I do get the black screen occasionally there too, but I just refresh the page a couple of times and it works.

• My two cents...Europe loses 2 spots, NORCEA gets an extra 1 and Asia grabs an extra spot for hosting. I don't understand any of it. NORCEA get an extra slot because USA gets an automatic bid from a team that won in 2014. But they will always have a strong team NORCEA has weak teams, whereas Europe has many strong teams and should get an extra 1 or 2 slots. But I guess it gives weaker teams a chance to improve and get a chance to play at a higher level. The FIVB never makes any sense.

This benefits Japan as European teams are more likely to beat Japan than NORCEA teams. Last championship, Japan was 2-3 against CEV teams, getting beat by Italy, and upset by Azerbaijan and Croatia. The 2 wins against Germany and Belgium, were 3-2 and 3-1 in close sets. Next Olympic cycle FIVB changed its qualification so Japan will likely be able to play the Word Cup. If that comes true, then it's confirmed Japan controls FIVB with their monetary contributions. Japan almost always gets easy draws like Brazil in football.

• I think Russia, Turkey, Netherlands, Germany, Serbia, Italy, Bulgaria and Poland may take the ticket of WCH :whistle: if Belgium will be lucky and maybe they can take one instead of these teams :whistling: but it's unfair give a chance only 8 teams in EU :thumbdown: at least they have to give a chance 9 teams from EU ?(