European Championship 2017 Azerbaijan&Georgia

• What is about Shcherban? Did I miss something about her? She must be the only player who never entered the court? I mean she was the one next to Kosheleva under Marichev.

And why wasn‘t Malykh invited to the NT? Did I miss something?

I agree. Is Scherban healthy? Think not. They did not even use her when passing is badly needed.

Malykh was driven away by the former coach with negative comments about her. I don't think Malykh is the answer for Russia's problems although Kuzyutkin should've been more gentle when addressing that fact. I won't even wonder if that's the reason for his sacking. He probably lost the dressing room with that attitude to Malykh.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Not really, the old ones you are talking about don't play for NT anymore, Maren Fromm (Brinker) is probably the only one.

Correct, there are really a lot of new players in German team. For 7 players aka half of the roster it was the first ECH and 8th place is not a bad result at all. Even though today they were bad, Lenka Dürr and Louisa Lippmann are high level players, and Jennifer Geerties in this tournament showed that she's heading that way too. I'm confident that the team will stay among the best 5-6 teams in Europe for the next years as well.

• Goncharova is the absolute titular of Russia. There's no way she'll be benched unless she plays like an amateur.

Russia also has enough OHs to play the part of a back up opposite.

The problem for Russia is that their system is similar to men's volleyball but lacks the efficiency of the male players to kill the ball. In men's volleyball... an offensive hitter can kill the ball with a high ball in one attempt. In women's volleyball... It will probanbly take a lot of time unless you are Zhu Ting or Rahimova. That's the reason why you need an athletic and tall setter with fast thinking and fast legs so a bad pass can still be remedied.

Women's volleyball is about the rallies so patience is definitely a virtue until you have a scenario with all the options available. When Kosheleva and Goncharova have a bad day... it is going to be hard for them especially with that kind of defense they have. Russia needs to embrace the rally-ability in women's volleyball just like how Japan does in order to survive.

Unfortunately...their system still works... so why change it if it's not broken...That's probably what they are thinking. :rolll:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Filishtinkaya not setting the ball to Goncharova is a mystery. I think the problem is the sets are too fast. Goncharova sometimes is only able to tip the ball. She is 1.94 for Christ's sake, let her physical advantage come into play, no need to super-speed the sets. In the latter parts of the third set, Voronkova got blocked and she still set to her on a decent pass even when Goncharova was available. Clearly she is not comfortable setting to the OPP, and having a bad connection with your team's most prolific scorer will definitely be a problem.

One problem as well was the lack of playing time of Scherban. Parubets, albeit short, is not to be considered to be a defensive OH! Voronkova/Parubets duo is disastrous.

I hope Russia can have a Startseva/Vetrova duo, and Malova can return next year!

• I've heard Malova is skipping this season so she won't be ni her best shape next year Look at Kryuchkova at this ECh. I've also heard a speculation that Fili and Go doesn't like each other. Overall, both setters are bullying Go a lot. Frolova was like the main hitter at some point whilst what they set Go during the transitions was a pure offense, badly out of tempo or was too into the block.

It's not the lack of player X or presence of player Y. The team looked as if they didn't know what they wanted and hence struggled converting transitions into break points, let alone side-outs.

• WOW! Polina Rahimova AZE #17 is tough to deal with for the GER team.... the Uzbekistan born tall player (1.98 m) is AZE version of Boskovic :D

Wonder why this AZE team rarely play outside CEV tournaments... hardly seeing them play against the top Asian teams.

Good that they will play in the 2018 WCh :thumbsup: wanna see how good they are there!

AZE played in the WCh 2014, they did not do well in the group that included CHN, ITA, DOM, JPN, BEL, GER, CRO, finishing last. but they did beat JPN and CRO.

http://italy2014.fivb.org/en/competition/pools/round2

i don't know why they didn't contest GP.

• does/can Kosheleva jump higher than Egonu ?

according to CEV website, kosheleva touches 315 cm, about the same as goncha and malikh.

several ITA players jump higher than that, egonu at 336 cm.

wow. according to this, both bosettis outjump the russians above (cate the same but lucia jumps higher).

http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…s.aspx?TeamID=9795&ID=841

• Congrats to Turkey! For me, it wasnt such a surprise this victory. They played better against Poland than in the group stage, as well as Meryem Boz woke up in this elimination round. The poor contribition of the OPPs in the first matches were the reason of the low performance of the turks. Also, the reception was much better. Good that Naz started to set more to Eda! She is the true leader of her team! :) Just lover her!

totally agree! for many years, i've loved eda erdem! she's now attacking amazingly well. she's one of my favorite players in the TUR team, along with naz, neriman and gozde.

btw who's gozde's husband? he works with the NT?

• I'm a little bit surprised that Turkey managed to beat Russia, but it was obvious from the very first match that this Russian team was not going to win anything for a long time. The time when they could win gold medals just by setting the ball high to the nearest skyscraper is now over.

• i just watched a little bit of AZE x POL.

i don't know, i am not impressed with AZE. although this current team seems an improvement over the previous one (with the sisters parkhomenko, bayramova, etc.), this just looks like a really bad version of RUS -- much more than RUS, they depend just on the two giants, rahimova and mammadova. they don't have great ball-handling and fundamentals. of course, rahimova is very dangerous by herself, so we shall see... i am impressed with the new acquisition, i mean, player, samadova. she has potential.

• According to cev.lu, no players in Zenit Kazan could reach 3 m:
    http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…s.aspx?ID=566&TeamID=7923

OK, the cev data is poorly maintained, to say the least. But if one digs out the reach of Viktor Poletaev (Superleague's best jumper), the realistic numbers would be 360 and 370 for block and spike, respectively. Back in 2014, Poletaev recorded a jumping master class video (now deleted), in which he was reaching over 370 from the spot.

• SEMIFINALS:

The Netherlands vs Azerbaijan 30/09 18:00 (GMT +4 hours)

Serbia vs Turkey 30/09 20:30 (GMT +4 hours)

http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…tion.aspx?ID=841&PID=1538

Still awaiting the CEV - European Volleyball youtube links but seems it won't live stream the SF matches via youtube or very aggressively geoblock them !?... I could see its QF links days in advance but until this hour still no links for SF :-( <sigh>

must seek other ways to watch... :whistle: hope some to relay the live stream :D

After all the dramas and upsets (!?) yesterday I still hold on that the last Slavic team, Serbia, will secure the gold medal but the other colors are widely opened to the rest of contenders.

Btw, the 2018 World Championship will be quite fascinating for being crowded with the CEV strongest teams -- no quality team misses it this time: Serbia, Netherlands, Russia, Turkey, Azerbaidjan, Italy, Germany, Bulgaria... most are quite capable teams, this event will be the fiercest competition even more than OG!

And among these 8 teams only the Bulgarian squad that did not make it into the quarterfinals of this CEV EuroVolley --- showing the consistency of the team strength.... not a fluke!

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Neslihan's reaction to Turkey's win is priceless.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZop_lrgOEr/

:heart:

Edit: I didn't know she's into filler injections. lol

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().