2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• according to Terzic's words in Macau China, Serbia will send the substitutes to the rest of the tournamets. all main players will be intensively convoked at home.
    therefore, i bet Serbia will send the same line-ups as in WGP Rio during the first weekend; which also means, Serbia will not qualify for the final any more, as Belgium and Germany.

No, Serbia is in Kyoto with their A team.
    Here they are working out in the gym there. :box:

• Just watched the Turkey-USA match. Alisha does an outstanding job when reception is good. Stopped counting how many times her hitters attacked against no block.

At Turkish side, I really like the connection between Hande & Nursevil. She hits like a boss from zone 4. Too bad others could not support her yesterday. Ferhat done amazing coaching against Japan while terrible choices again against US. Why does anyone start with Gözde Yilmaz-Hande duo against such a crazy fast team? Why the hell we are still forced to watch Kubra Akman? When will Merve stop being a libero because she definitely can't? Now I know why Ferhat insists so bad on Nursevil because Ezgi Dilik is a terrible sub. :wall:
    Turkish starting six should be: Nursevil-Polen, Hande-Fatma, Asli-Özgenur, Gizem Örge. Guldeniz can come in whenever team fails in receiving or defense and Melis is doing fine as OPP sub but rest are just hopeless. If Ferhat is really looking for a new team, he should have invited Seyma Ercan instead of Guldeniz, she could be very useful. Oh and I can imagine how much he regrets that he didn't invite Gamze now.

Deep not: Not sure how the hell Fenerbahce will receive with Natalia-Merve in back row. :down:

Just watched the Turkey-USA match. Alisha does an outstanding job when reception is good. Stopped counting how many times her hitters attacked against no block.

At Turkish side, I really like the connection between Hande & Nursevil. She hits like a boss from zone 4. Too bad others could not support her yesterday. Ferhat done amazing coaching against Japan while terrible choices again against US. Why does anyone start with Gözde Yilmaz-Hande duo against such a crazy fast team? Why the hell we are still forced to watch Kubra Akman? When will Merve stop being a libero because she definitely can't? Now I know why Ferhat insists so bad on Nursevil because Ezgi Dilik is a terrible sub. :wall:
    Turkish starting six should be: Nursevil-Polen, Hande-Fatma, Asli-Özgenur, Gizem Örge. Guldeniz can come in whenever team fails in receiving or defense and Melis is doing fine as OPP sub but rest are just hopeless. If Ferhat is really looking for a new team, he should have invited Seyma Ercan instead of Guldeniz, she could be very useful. Oh and I can imagine how much he regrets that he didn't invite Gamze now.

Deep not: Not sure how the hell Fenerbahce will receive with Natalia-Merve in back row. :down:

I was fortunate to go all sessions of the 2nd leg. As the tournament went on, I became impressed with the young German team. Hanke was impressive. She was able to set balls when the ball when the passes were bad. And she gave good sets to her hitters who made many mistakes by hitting out. Durum, the libero, worked really hard and played amazing. She got beat up pretty hard. I think Orthmann, Schertmann can get better. They hit many balls out that they could have hit in or played the ball more smartly. I was on the fence about Lippmann but when she played aggressively she did well. She has to have that killer instinct to improve. When they lost a set, it effected the team as awhole. You could see the team deflate.

Turkey. I guess I expected more. Kubra had a huge group of fans cheering her and the team on. Polen was definitely the leader on the court. I don't know why Durul didn't start and only came off the bench. I think she could have helped the team. I liked the second setter. Hande?? She was frustrating to watch. She has a long ways to go. And she had a bad attitude that effected her play.

The Turkish coach:). He was very supportive of the team and would coach the players during times out. I don't know what he was saying, but appeared he wants them ladies to learn and get better.

No, Serbia is in Kyoto with their A team.
    Here they are working out in the gym there.

But this doesn't necessarily mean, that the best players get much court time - they will be likely only used partially.

• Hande is the OH...first setter Nursevil Aydınlar and second is Ezgi Dilik

• But this doesn't necessarily mean, that the best players get much court time - they will be likely only used partially.

If I remember well Terzic used different players in Macao matches, not only startes played in that stage.

• I wonder in WGP pooling why some teams can meet twice in the preliminary rounds such as CHN v USA but some teams don't see each other at all, for example CHN v RUS or CHN v TUR and so on...

I know there was some pool drawing but still don't grasp it why some teams meet twice whereas some others never play each other.

To put it into different words, WHY FIVB does not preclude the duplication matches during the preliminary rounds? :?:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• scheduling constraint, e.g. minimize travel is a priority, i think.
    and as it stands, every team plays 9 games only. there're 12 teams. you're gonna miss some teams anyway.

I wonder in WGP pooling why some teams can meet twice in the preliminary rounds such as CHN v USA but some teams don't see each other at all, for example CHN v RUS or CHN v TUR and so on...

I know there was some pool drawing but still don't grasp it why some teams meet twice whereas some others never play each other.

To put it into different words, WHY FIVB does not preclude the duplication matches during the preliminary rounds? :?:

• scheduling constraint, e.g. minimize travel is a priority, i think.
    and as it stands, every team plays 9 games only. there're 12 teams. you're gonna miss some teams anyway.

Yes agree, to minimize travel, I also think geographical proximity must be one of the key considerations in pool set-up.
    Just being curious by the arrangement of the two matches by the same teams at prelim.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Any news about Orro's condition?

Good news on her condition. the MRI performed in Rome just detected a sprain left ankle (something in between first and second grade). Orro will continue with her rehabilitation therapy that started right away after her injury.

Expected recovery might be within 2 to 3 weeks, up to a month. This injury should not compromise her participation in Rio.

• Good news on her condition. the MRI performed in Rome just detected a sprain left ankle (something in between first and second grade). Orro will continue with her rehabilitation therapy that started right away after her injury.

Expected recovery might be within 2 to 3 weeks, up to a month. This injury should not compromise her participation in Rio.

:drink:

• Hong Kong, June 22, 2016 - the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Grand Prix held a joint team news conference for the Hong Kong leg (L-R: CHN-GER-NED-USA), Shen Jing-si attended because both the captains Hui & Zeng got some fever (Photo by Lu Binghui / Xinhua)

• I wonder in WGP pooling why some teams can meet twice in the preliminary rounds such as CHN v USA but some teams don't see each other at all, for example CHN v RUS or CHN v TUR and so on...

FIVB has a kind of strict POOL regulation.
    firstly, the 12 teams will be decided its polling number, which will further decide its polling position.

for example, for this edition of WGP. all teams were awarded a polling number by drawing of lots as follows,

USA (1), BRA (2), RUS (3)
    THA (6), ITA (5), NED (4)
    GER (7), JPN (8 ), TUR (9)
    CHN (12), SRB (11), BEL (10)

you will notice that the pool for the 1st weekend has decided by the positions of serpentine (S)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for the 2nd weekend, the positions will be shifted by column (4-6), (7-9) and (10-12) as follows

(1) (2) (3)
    (7) (10) (4)
    (8 ) (11) (5)
    (9) (12) (6)

you will verify if this is the positions of the teams in their own pools for the 2nd weekend
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for the 3rd weekend, the positions for the teams will be shifted at random between the same rows of (4-6), (7-10), and (10-12)

(1) (2) (3)
    (4) (5) (6)
    (7) (9) (8 )
    (12) (10) (11)

you will verify the actual pools by yourself.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is why we see USA met GER for three times....but it is really a coincidence of the orders.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• He he... thanks pappi for your magical formula! Checked already, all the pools confirm your tables.

So the polling numbers 1, 2 and 3 become the anchors in the next two transformations.

In week 2, the 2nd row of Table 1 (4,5,6) now becomes part of the 3rd column (Table 2);
    the 3rd row of Table 1 (7,8,9) becomes part of the 1st column (Table 2); and
    the last row in Table 1 (10,11,12) becomes part of the 2nd column (Table 2)... all in full orderly fashion.

The last transformation to the Week 3 are more difficult to grasp because it involves some random shift as you mentioned, now parts of the columns (Table 2) become the rows (Table 3).

I am not even aware that GER are so much in love with the USA that the two teams meet thrice :lol: throughout the prelim rounds, until you just mentioned it. Fascinating info, pappi!

Week 1 - WGP 2016

Pool A1: USA THA GER CHN
    Pool B1: BRA ITA JPN SRB
    Pool C1: RUS NED TUR BEL

Week 2 - WGP 2016

Pool D1: BRA BEL SRB CHN
    Pool E1: USA GER JPN TUR
    Pool F1: RUS NED ITA THA

Week 3 - WGP 2016

Pool G1: BRA ITA TUR BEL
    Pool H1: USA NED GER CHN
    Pool I1: RUS THA JPN SRB

• The format should be

A---B---C-------D---E---F--------G---H---I
    1---2---3-------1---2---3--------1---2---3
    6---5---4-------12--7---6--------5---6---4
    7---8---9-------11--8--5---------9---7---8
    10-11-12------10--9---4--------12--10-11

Because this format applied with all group in 2016 World League and only A,B,C,G,H,I applied with WGP 2014 and 2015 edition. But, There are some change, because of host selection.

In case of 3 weeks 9 pools, you can calculate that no way to make all teams face other teams once.

• The format should be

A---B---C-------D---E---F--------G---H---I
    1---2---3-------1---2---3--------1---2---3
    6---5---4-------12--7---6--------5---6---4
    7---8---9-------11--8--5---------9---7---8
    10-11-12------10--9---4--------12--10-11

This format was used in all groups of 2016 WL, too. It also was used in 2014 and 2015 WGP (only pool A,B,C,G,H,I). But, there was some change, because of host selection.

• Quote from 'Noncommittal

Because this format applied with all group in 2016 World League and only A,B,C,G,H,I applied with WGP 2014 and 2015 edition. But, There are some change, because of host selection.

In case of 3 weeks 9 pools, you can calculate that no way to make all teams face other teams once.

Yes, it's easy to understand since the participants are 12 teams and each team has only 9 matches.

However, match duplication between two teams, or even thrice as in the case of USA vs GER can only be comprehended by the factor of (pure) drawing and/or geographical proximity consideration.