2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• Italy from 19:13 to 22:25 for Brazil in forth set :down:

• Can anyone tell me how the Slavic battle was? Sucks to be traveling when there's some very interesting match is going on.

Serbia edged out Russia in 5. Kosheleva was not terminating as she used to, and Goncharova had too many attempts and was clearly worn out at the latter part of the match. And yes, Boskovic, I think we can now include her as one of the players that can change the outcome of a match :white: Velkjovic was playing pretty great too.

• Tack! Thanks both of you :D

It must have been such a thrilling match indeed, watching how the young lefty plays against Goncharova who's absolutely been a beast would be entertaining.

@ lanzones : I should have postponed this trip as well in order to catch the war-like match. But laying on the Croatian adriatic beach and being laid-back is not so shabby either. :D sorry for Offtopic.

• It was a pretty gruelling match. Russian blocking was very much on point in the beginning and Serbia simply didn't have enough firepower, although they managed to make it close. After a while Goncharova and Kosheleva went off the boil (Kosheleva was actually struggling all match long) and the momentum turned around when Bošković entered the court. At some point Russian defensive work started to unravel as well. Maja did a great job with Veljković and Nikolić played surprisingly well. On the other side, very poor effort by both Shcherban and Ilchenko.

• At one point Terzić complained that Goncharova had mishandled the ball and he said to the referee "Hello, this is not water polo". :D

:rolll: I wonder how he's going to react to Marichev's infinite challenge requests.
    I can't believe Djerisilo is still in while Malagurski having an unwanted vacation by herself.

• Italy lost it's true but I'm quite happy with the performance today, except the third set. Egonu played well and there was also pretty much defense and good reception, even with Ortolani. But still, we can't make 30 and more errors in 4 set, even Brasil today, without doing anything extraordinary won in 4 sets. This is where we have to grow, less mistakes in attack and on serve.
    Malinov after a while goes mentally KO, I think Orro has a higher precision and a better connection, especially with the OHs. The team needs to work together and to do hard trainings, the improvements will come, I hope.
    What a pity, it is the second time that we face Brasil and we can't take them to tie break, stopping when we were so close. C'mon girls :super:

If I have to say the truth, if Brasil really wants to be a medal contender in Rio, I think they have to work hard and train a lot. Bad connection between the setter and the players (Sheilla and Fabiana above all, they couldn't kill anything today), better team work in block defense, all the tips Italy made fell on the floor, and except in the third set the block didn't work well and Egonu looked unstoppable. They are great players but that is not sufficient if you want to achieve something: today they won thanks to 30 errors from Italy, but if they play against Chiina, Russia, Serbia I don't know if they manage to win as today...

• I agree about Brazil. Only Thaisa and in 4th set Jaqueline did a good job, everybody else was just average and Sheilla was even way below average. But of course, if Tandara is the alternative, Sheilla still is better.

Right now the strongest teams seem USA and China, followed by Russia and Serbia when they have their best six out there, and only then Brazil.

About Egonu, honestly I didn't like her game today. Yes, she scored many points and also impressive points, but today she had only two options: impressive point or embarassing mistake. So many attacks brutally hit out, and she was very lucky to sometimes catch a finger of the block in these situations.

• About Egonu, honestly I didn't like her game today. Yes, she scored many points and also impressive points, but today she had only two options: impressive point or embarassing mistake. So many attacks brutally hit out, and she was very lucky to sometimes catch a finger of the block in these situations.

That's true, but this is Egonu I think, all or nothing. Anyway I saw her defending some tis, while some time ago she just looked the ball falling, she also tried some block outs from zone 1 or 2, before she just hit the ball wildly and widely out. Then of course many mistakes, but I kind of accept them, she always tries to hit hard and long. I don't like the serving errors, like Chirichella's or Malinov's...way too much for a serve that isn't that hard or risky (can't Malinov do jump float? Her jump serve is not a killing one like Egonu's...).
    I mean, she didn't have the perfect performance of course, but she is trying to improve and I saw some steps forward...

• A rather embarrassing performance by Turkey now.

Which most likely gives Germany the "ticket" to division 2. I don't see Germany taking more than one point (and even that is questionable, to say the least) from China and Netherlands, while Belgium is on a good way to take full three from Turkey.

It's been a terrible draw for German team, geographically (China - USA - Hong Kong) as well as in terms of opponents (3x USA, 2x CHN :!: ). They could/should have taken points from Thailand, Japan and Turkey but they couldn't do it. Belgium had the easier opponents, but I guess they're also the better team at the moment.

What's going on with Turkey though? Did they accidentally poison their own food instead of Belgium's? :P

• Serbia edged out Russia in 5. Kosheleva was not terminating as she used to, and Goncharova had too many attempts and was clearly worn out at the latter part of the match. And yes, Boskovic, I think we can now include her as one of the players that can change the outcome of a match :white: Velkjovic was playing pretty great too.

we have no idea if Russia has tried to pretend to be weaker in the second part of the game.
    they are possibly meeitng at 1/4 quarter final in Rio.
    but what i saw that Goncharova was still unstoptable if she was confident to get that point.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Obviously no one is going all out at this time and a possible encounter in Rio would be a totally different game.
    But I don't think there's too much love lost between those two teams and they're never happy to lose against each other.

• Which most likely gives Germany the "ticket" to division 2. I don't see Germany taking more than one point (and even that is questionable, to say the least) from China and Netherlands, while Belgium is on a good way to take full three from Turkey.

It's been a terrible draw for German team, geographically (China - USA - Hong Kong) as well as in terms of opponents (3x USA, 2x CHN :!: ). They could/should have taken points from Thailand, Japan and Turkey but they couldn't do it. Belgium had the easier opponents, but I guess they're also the better team at the moment.

What's going on with Turkey though? Did they accidentally poison their own food instead of Belgium's? :P

These two ridiculous setters are poisoning whole team. Also Kubra is in a horrible shape, I am sure Guidetti will soon start looking for a foreign MB instead of her for CL :down:

Belgium already showed that they deserved to say in Division-1. I am quite happy about that since they always put a good fight against any team and even makes surprises once in a while. Belgium has huge potential but they always lack a good OH next to Leys, however if one of Celine Van Gestel or Britt Herbots would develop as a stable player, Belgium could stay on this competitive level for many years!

• Which most likely gives Germany the "ticket" to division 2. I don't see Germany taking more than one point (and even that is questionable, to say the least) from China and Netherlands, while Belgium is on a good way to take full three from Turkey.

Yes, and after Belgiums Yellow Tigers surprising win in Ankara it's literally "game over" for the German butterflies (Schmetterlinge). Because they will never win more than one set - if at all - tomorrow against China in Hongkong.

• Don't forget the old good Russian-Serbian relationship. After Russian NT took two sets and one point from the match they may not have been too eager to win the remainder - to ensure Serbian stays well in group 1, although not qualifying for final six - which they didn't want.

• if Serbia`s bench was so bad as you say, they would have not only lost to China in 3-2, not in Brazil or USA got that close to beat China.
    I think Brakocevic is playing really really well, way better than a lot of other OP`s out there...

and if Busa and Brakocevic can not kill a ball, how did Serbia went up to 8 point lead vs China as you say?? ololol

the biggest opponent of serbia is serbia itself the should of won game against china 3-1 but when they start to do stupid stuff on the court u just stand there in amazement of how is it possible to be that bad all of a sudden they had i think 8 point lead against china in 4th set and suddenly it looked like they didnt know their own names in that period they went from +8 to minus 4 i think which just goes to show that second team of serbia is just bad in second team u dont have anyone who can kill the freaking ball brako is out of shape and her hiting power is 20% of what is used to be and busa is just bad at kills djerisilo is really bad as well i dont get why terzic choose her over bjelica or malagurski

• I don`t understand what Terzic is doing. Maybe he just don`t want to play a lot with the other teams so they can`t figure out their game, they played 100% only vs Brazil....but if he is doing that, I dont think is a good idea because this Serbia team is still really young, Boskovic 19, Mihajlovic 25....I think they should just be playing together and going 100% in this Grand Prix... because of course Serbia can win the gold in RIo with this roster....but he doesnt know what kind of challenge they will face there....

I think BUsa is playing good, and today played better than Malesevic, but isnt Malesevic a starter? so she should be playing and getting ready for Rio.
    Mihajlovic played as OP in Turkey....now she should be playing as much as she can once she`s playing in OH>....
    Same as S Popovic. why is he letting Cebic play? I hope he is still not undecided, because S Popovic 100% is their libero...

I hope he is not blowing away Serbia chance to get a Gold at the OG....

• we have no idea if Russia has tried to pretend to be weaker in the second part of the game.
    they are possibly meeitng at 1/4 quarter final in Rio.
    but what i saw that Goncharova was still unstoptable if she was confident to get that point.

Probably. Marichev said he'd use all the players he has in order to choose the last 12 players. I think Goncharova really needs to be rested. Last year she practically lead her team by herself in WGP and brought them a medal up there, but at the end she got worn out during the World Cup. I'm afraid it's going to happen again during the Olympic Games. Consequently I hope Yura gives a chance to Malykh or Malygina so that Goncha eventually can take a break and see the opponents at the bench. Same feeling about Malova, these two women have been playing nonstop. :white: