2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• During the competition, the official website was calling Sheilla "U" in the statistics, which means Universal, right?
    Maybe they think she actually plays in both positions :aww:

Yeah, it means "Universal", but it's not the first joke like that by FIVB :whistle: in one men's competition OP, probably it was Rouzier got award for OH :whistle:
    they often choose just the two OHs/OPs with the highest spiking %, BUT Hill was 6th here :whistle: (though she was the best server as well)

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• That what?

Poland and Polsat TV are important Partners for FIVB and I can't watch video in Poland http://www.fivb.org/EN/Media/v….asp?No=63371&Language=en

That's an international maze or jungle of TV rights - horrible. For one interested volleyball fan it is often sheer luck or a matter of sidestepping stupid IP address restrictions by proxies to see something...

• Not a single award for Russia? I understand Sloetjes edged out Goncharova as best OPP since NED won Bronze, but Zaryazkho and Fetisova was consistently among the Top 3 blockers. Oh well, sucks to be Russia now.

I think blocking strength of Russian team is not primarily an individual thing, but all net players are working and performing together great as 2 or 3 player block "wall". This doesn't mean, that Fetisova, Zaryachkho or others are bad blockers, of course.

• Technically, the USA and Brazil are better than China and Serbia. They're able to execute all of the skills required with lower error percentages and more efficiently. Does that mean Serbia and China are bad teams? No. Does that mean that they cannot beat the USA and China? No. Does that mean they can't upset Brazil and the USA? No. I saw China's A team and Serbia play multiple times. China serves a very big threat and are medal contenders but they'r more prone to technical error. Serbia cannot pass or defend nearly at the level Brazil and USA can. When they can pass and get their offense going, they're good but that's when.

• I dont think the match was at a high level at all....just look Brazil`s 9 errs just in the first set. Plus both teams played really safe on the service line...like if they were alreday tired..

I just watched the replay of NED and Russia and I think it was a bit better than the final...[/quote]

I don't really think that's an accurate perception of the match - although you are entitled to your opinion... but it kind of misunderstands the whole concept of sport and ... High level match is all very relative, but to say the girls played like they were tired is a bit offensive to them. There was a lot of athleticism on display, a lot of high level rallies, and good technical play. The low level of USA's opposites is not a sign of bad play, its just a sign of the pressure of the opposition - that's normal. Some people on here seem to forget that in london 2012 Destinee Hooker was unstoppable all the way until Brazil's offensive plan shut her down in the final. Likewise, Zhu Ting was unstoppable until USA shut her down in the World Champs... Players dont just suddenly start playing badly - volleyball is a team game - there is a lot more involved.

Sure the first set Brazil were nervous, the USA is a tough competitor for them of course. But there were lots of phases in the match, in fact the rest of it, when both teams were playing well, this is good volleyball. Sheila made 14 points, but this only happened form halfway into the match because the USA block was very effective and she felt pressured, but then she got more confident of her team tactics. You should look beyond statistics as well, they don't show the qualitative nature of whats going on in the match. Ned- Russia was also error strewn and not quite technically at the same level, but the spectacle of the Dutch girls' fight made the match interesting.

• China serves a very big threat and are medal contenders but they'r more prone to technical error. Serbia cannot pass or defend nearly at the level Brazil and USA can. When they can pass and get their offense going, they're good but that's when.[/quote]

Serbia can win still when they are not passing good and making a lot of mistakes. Against USA in the World Cup they were passing bad and made 30 errs, while USA made only 17.
    Against Brazil 3 weeks ago, they were passing really bad also and made 34 errs while Brazil 25, still Serbia won... and the reason is because Serbia is better in offense than Brazil and USA RIGHT NOW. Serbia can score esaliy with a bad pass, USA and BRA not much ....when Brazil and USA can not pass and makes errs they cant win with their offense alone...China and Serbia can.

• I still think Karch Kiraly hides game of USA. Kiraly will change something about tactic and he will find way of victory. I still think Brazil, Serbia, China and USA can play semifinal in Rio. Brazil NT was weak in 2nd week of WGP and they lost two game but then they got their old powers. In Final six Brazil showed they could play for the best place. I think Brazil will play for gold medals in Rio too. China and Serbia won Brazil in 2nd week of WGP but it didn't show they were better than Brazil and it was practice for Brazil NT. USA, Brazil, Serbia and China are big favorite but Russia, Italy and Netherlands can change something, it depends from their preparation. Japan is weaker than last Olimpic Game. Also Korea won Italy with big surprise. About Netherlands I think they improve their game as possible as they can because now Guidetti has strong and good bench players too. About Russia I think they must play with blocker as possible as they can because every team know their tactic to play with Goncharova and Kosheleva a lot. If Tanya Kosheleva will be okay and Russian NT will be okay too and they will fight for best places. About Italy they have a lot of problems, they have no stable opposite and they can do suprise but not big. About Leo can back I have no opinion she will change anything in Rio. About Serbia I think they must take Mihailovic, Boskovic, Malasevic, Busa, Nikolic for spiker position and about Brakocevic i can say Serbia has strong OPP as Boskovic and also Mihailovic can play as OPP too and maybe take Brokocevic is mistake but take Brokocevic or Nikolic can't change anything I still think so. About Brazil I think they will keep the same players only Mariana and Roberto may out and also Jaque is okay too. And they will play in Rio with full fans. About Usa I think they were tactic team because in World Championship they did big suprise won tournament. I still think Kiraly will search way of victory and he will find it.

• The lack of output from us opps is due to them running mb slides on the right side all the time in this game. And given the success rate of their slides, that's no brainer. The problem though is when they're in trouble and mb is not an option, they chucked it up to hill. Hill's spiking was a disaster in this game even by her own standard. Give Brazilian blocking credit. But I doubt she'll spike this badly very often. Hill is never a strong spiker but she's adequate for us system. The other thing is us blocking was almost nonexistent in this game. I don't have the stats, but I feel that they are a better blocking team than Brazil. It's one thing you can't stop Brazilian middle, but you must slow down Sheila and Natalia and I think they will in rio. So you all think this game is of the highest level? The chances are in rio hill will play better and us will block better and to beat the us, Brazil will have to play even better.

• I just finished watching RUS-NED and people seriously think this was the better game technically? lol Please. Aside from Netherlands' comeback, the game was boring as hell. It wasn't even near the level between BRA-USA.

• If Russia, NED, Serbia and everybody else is so bad technically, than we can say Brazil and USA win not because they are good but because everybody else is bad...well, this makes volleyball a boring sport, where only 2 teams can play at a high level...

Anyways...take care u all.

• And still got the gold medal!
    And Brazil lost to the USA and to Korea in the last Olympics and we all know the end!

So much haterism! :whistle:

Im sorry, but why thinking that China or Serbia could beat Brazil or USA is consider haterism? Because its a different view from yours? I dont see anyone here saying Brazil is not favorite, I think that everyone that follows a little bit volleyball knows that Brazil is favorite....but that does not mean people cant discuss about other teams and their chances....I think you are taking everything to personal for no reason...just because people dont write all the time Brazil is the best? Is that it? Sorry, Im not trying to be unpolite or judge what your feelings are, Its just that I really dont understand why you calling on people...

People usually like to write about the teams they follow and like..and here is no different..so maybe they are not talking about Brazil chances or game or whatever, not because they dont consider Brazil good,maybe its just that they dont have as much empathy for Brasil as they have for other teams... Its just a thought.... people here in the forum has always been friendly and fair....I dont see them not giving the credit Brazil deserves..they do....Its just not being said all the time.

Well, Its just my opinion....but I think you will enjoy the forum better if you realize that. :drink:

• Im sorry, but why thinking that China or Serbia could beat Brazil or USA is consider haterism? Because its a different view from yours? I dont see anyone here saying Brazil is not favorite, I think that everyone that follows a little bit volleyball knows that Brazil is favorite....but that does not mean people cant discuss about other teams and their chances....I think you are taking everything to personal for no reason...just because people dont write all the time Brazil is the best? Is that it? Sorry, Im not trying to be unpolite or judge what your feelings are, Its just that I really dont understand why you calling on people...

People usually like to write about the teams they follow and like..and here is no different..so maybe they are not talking about Brazil chances or game or whatever, not because they dont consider Brazil good,maybe its just that they as much empathy for Brasil as they have for other teams... Its just a thought.... people here in the forum has always been friendly and fair....I dont see them not giving the credit Brazil deserves..they do....Its just not being said all the time.

Well, Its just my opinion....but I think you will enjoy the forum better if you realize that. :drink:

Joana, I won't even start it with you...really...your posts are the worst for me, considering you are Brazilian. But well, that's your choice. But I won't respect that. It's my choice also.
    Some people here are not friendly and fair and nice as you said...
    You probably didn't read the entire conversation, just took a small part from it. I said there were too many "ifs" on the guy sentence. Just that.
    I'm not bothered by people cheering for other teams, but no, sometimes some people here have no respect for Brazilian volleyball and don't give them enough credit.

• I still think Karch Kiraly hides game of USA. Kiraly will change something about tactic and he will find way of victory.

What can he hide? :what: Oh, sure: Thompson will play opposite, since there are no more spikes from positions 1 and 2... :lol: :rolll:

• i have not watched a lot of GP matches lately but adams seems to have improved a lot. maybe a few months back nobody would have thought she'd be in rio, but now she's actually hitting the ball or slamming it, rather than just placing and dinking. i think she also learned the slide attack? but of course, she's still not at foluke's level (but then so few in the world are).

• are you talking about the WCh 2014 MVP?????? :D

I guess, or there were another MVP that I am no aware of???

If Hill was 1.79cm like Fe Garay for example, she woulld have never ever been choosen to the US NT , Im not saying she`s not talented, Im saying the US only give changes for tthe really tall girls. And would be hard for clubs to give a chance for her...Only short player I can think of was Angela Forset, and of course she did not make it anywhere...