CEV U19 European Championship - 2016 | 8 | 27

• Congratulations to Russia! The ranking of U18 tournament did not change much for top 5. Only Turkey and Belgium switched positions. Germany lost one step in the ranking (from 6th to 7th). Host Slovakia was the surprise of tournament, 6th position is quite good considering the fact that they couldn't even manage to reach finals at U18. Also Bulgaria improved from 11th position to 8th.

It is a bad luck that RUS-SRB-ITA and GER were in the same preliminary group during U18 tournament too. ITA with Egonu, Orro and Piani couldn't beat SRB and RUS in that tournament last year that's why I am not sure if the result would be different if these players were there.

For the best players; MB choice was obvious Lazarenko and Kociç are quite dominating as both blocker and attacker. Elizaveta Kotova and Zehra Güneş were also best MBs last year but it seems like they did not improve much in a year. On the other hand Lubian is impressive although she is only 16.

Balyko was already best setter of this generation after Orro (I also liked Veselinoviç, she has good technique and precise sets).

For libero I didnt see anything special in Zannoni, I would have voted for Milejoviç

Lazoviç is a great prospect for Serbia. Serbia always had good Opps and MBs but there was not promising OHs besides Busa. I hope Lazoviç could get a chance to play in senior team soon. She seems to have more potential than Busa. On the other hand, choosing Fricova as best OH is scandal! They gave award to her most probably due to her good serving stats but it doesn't make any sense :thumbdown: She is netiher good at attacking nor at receiving. It should be Tutku Burcu Yüzgenç or one of the Italian OHs. :aww:

Both Turkish MBs Zehra Güneş and Yasemin Güveli will play in Beşiktaş as starter next season, it will be interesting to see their development. We have good MBs from 94-95 generation but not from 96-97 since Hande Baladin switched to OH and other MB Su Zent is simply so short :S

• Ferhat Akbas and Vesna Citakovic are sitting behind the court. Are they in the staff of their NTs?

What do you think about German MBs Weidt and Krause. They have good blocking stats but do you think they are good prospects?

• What do you think about German MBs Weidt and Krause. They have good blocking stats but do you think they are good prospects?

Good question. As you say, both are very good blockers, but that's it. Both did not exist in attack in this tournament, but I don't know how much blame for that goes to the setter and how much to them. Sabrina Krause is very tall (1.96) but moves slow and she jumps something like 10cm. Merle Weidt is quite short for a MB, officially 1.86 but comparing her on photos standing beside other players she looks shorter than that, but she anticipates very well and has a good blocking technique. Plus she started playing in 1st league for VCO project already with 15 years and has another season there. Sabrina Krause is playing in Schwerin's 2nd team but practising with the 1st team and occasionally in the 1st league roster as well.

The biggest MB prospect might be Camilla Weitzel from 2000 who was 3rd MB in this tournament. She's from Dresden's youth and has been compared to the young Christiane Fürst there. I haven't seen enough of her to comment on that, but she sure looks promising.

• Final Ranking:

1. Russia
    2. Serbia
    3. Turkey
    4. Belgium

Russia won 15th Gold Medal, last time in 1994.

• It is a bad luck that RUS-SRB-ITA and GER were in the same preliminary group during U18 tournament too. ITA with Egonu, Orro and Piani couldn't beat SRB and RUS in that tournament last year that's why I am not sure if the result would be different if these players were there.

In last year U18 World Championships Italy with Egonu(MVP), Orro and Piani beat Serbia 3-1 in Quarterfinals and then won the Gold.
    Egonu especially makes a lot the difference, she is another level compared to any other girl of her generation...I'm 100% sure Italy with her would have won this European Championship, and next year will win the World U19 Championships.