Olympic Games - 2016 | 8 | 6

• I think everyone already knew that...

But I don`t see a gap between Russia and South Korea/Japan at all....Russia always struggles with Asia teams....with or without Kosheleva..

Brazil is favorite to finish 1st ( but we never know especially because they start off with Cameroon then Argentina, which wont give them any kind of challenge, then they face Japan which could surprise them)...
    And the 2,3 and 4 are very open between Russia,Japan and South Korea.

But I don`t see a gap between Russia and South Korea/Japan at all....Russia always struggles with Asia teams....with or without Kosheleva..

Brazil is favorite to finish 1st ( but we never know especially because they start off with Cameroon then Argentina, which wont give them any kind of challenge, then they face Japan which could surprise them)...

Not sure if everyone knew it :roll: It was the rule in London, but so far I don't remember hearing officially that it applies for RIo as well. Volleyball.it posted it just today.

I didn't mean to compare Russia to Korea/Japan, what I meant is that many teams surely prefer Japan/Korea over Russia as opponent in the QF, assuming all teams playing at 100%.

• Not sure if everyone knew it :roll: It was the rule in London, but so far I don't remember hearing officially that it applies for RIo as well. Volleyball.it posted it just today.

I didn't mean to compare Russia to Korea/Japan, what I meant is that many teams surely prefer Japan/Korea over Russia as opponent in the QF, assuming all teams playing at 100%.

it has been officially annouced since the FIVB opened its RIOG homepage:
    you can read the schedule below
    http://rio2016.fivb.com/en/volleyball/schedule#/d20160817

the scheudle shows the quarterfinal A2/A3 vs B2/B3 on August 17, 2016.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

what was the last time japan/korea beat russia in a major tournament?

• In the World Cup Russia deafted Japan only in 3-2, which meas there's not a big gap between them.....

You're a bigger joke than the Brazil Olympic organizers.

• when did ortolani start playing as a passing OH? is that new, that is, this year? or did she do that in he club career?

grrr... when i look at US roster, it's so stupid to have a 3rd setter. there's only 5 OPP/OH, that is, 5 players for 3 positions. what if one gets hurt? so stupid.

i don't like the drawing of lots for 2-3rd places matchup in QF. that way, it makes no difference if a team finishes 2nd or 3rd and they can not bother play hard in their last match. stupid.

and why again the 2 pools so unbalanced? and again JPN and RUS get the easiest pools and easy road to the QF. truly pathetic, FIVB, just like in london, why are the 2 weakest teams always placed together in the same pool?

• Ortolani started her carrer as OH, but her passing was not very good so in 2007 she became an OPP. And as OPP she has won 2 Champions Leagues and 3 Italian Leagues. Last year in Pomì she tried again to play as OH with no success so after a couple of months her husband/coach Mazzanti moved her back to OPP position. She played as OPP also this season with Conegliano and her performance was very good.
    I really don't understand why Bonitta wants her to play as OH in NT. It doesn't make any sense as her reception is shaky (even if much better than Egonu) and her attacks from the left wing are horrible, in my opinion if he really wants her to receive she could be more useful as receiving OPP with Egonu as non-receiving OH.

• thanks, togutt, i recall in 2008 beijing, there was at least one match ortolani had to play as OH because of aguero's absence, and they played with picci, centoni and ortolani together. as many have noted, ortolani's attacks from zone 4 are not comfortable, and i'm sure the numbers show it.

i cannot believe bonitta went and brought back lo bianco. isn't she ancient by now? what can she possibly add to the team? she has not played with this team all season, right? malinov was doing a good job, and her serves and blocking were for sure far superior to lo bianco at this point. why not bring back gioli and picci as well?

• Lo Bianco has the experience on her side, which is something this young Italy needs.

Malinov... how many times did we see a timeout where she received specific instructions on what to do, and did the exact opposite? I recall at least a dozen of instances where Bonitta told her "they're going to do A, so do B or C" and she chose "A" three times in a row.

• Oh, please, don't flatter yourself. You're just someone who embarrasses themselves and everyone laughs at.

Better be a joker, than be a nobody like u. :woohoo:

• Do you guys think Bonitta will start with Ortolani for sure? I was almost sure he will play with Del Core-Sylla duo, especially now when he invited Lo Bianco back, who played with Sylla a club season. The opposite choice is a big dilemma though. Egonu has bad technique but a huge physical advantage, Ortolani is a mix in between and Centoni has great technique with low physical abilities (mostly due to her age).

• I just had a look and these players already have experienced the Olympic Games.

Russia : Kosheleva, Goncharova (12)
    Netherlands : -
    Serbia : Ognjenovic, Veljkovic, Brakocevic (08,12) Nikolic (08 ) Mihajlovic, Rasic, Zivkovic (12)
    Italy : Lo bianco (00, 04, 08, 12) Del Core (04, 12) Centoni (04, 08 ) Guiggi, Ortolani (08 ) De Gennaro (12)
    USA : Larson-Burbach, Harmotto-Dietzen, Akinradewo, Thompson (12)
    Japan : Kimura (04, 08, 12) Araki (08, 12) Sakoda, Yamaguchi (12)
    South Korea : Kim Y.K, Kim H.J, Yang, Kim H.R, Hwang (12) Nam (04)
    China : Wei, Xu (08, 12) Hui (12)
    Puerto Rico : -
    Cameroon : -
    Brazil : Claudino (04, 08, 12) Castro, Carvalho Endres, Daher Pallesi (08, 12) Zilio Pereira, Lins, Rodrigues, Da Silva (12)
    Argentina : -

Clearly, Brazil are the most experienced team and the next one is Italy. It's going to be Lo bianco's 5th Olympic Games :rolleyes:

• Funny facts

Oldest player - Elena Ezhova (Russia, born in 1977, she shall turn 39 within 2 weeks.)
    Youngest player - Paola Egonu (Italy, born in Dec, 1998 so she's only 17)
    Tallest player - Daria Malygina (Russia, 202cm)
    Smallest player - Kotoki Zayasu (Japan, 159cm)

- Gabriela Guimarães is the only player from Brazilian team who was born in the 90's.
    - Elena Ezhova and Eleonora Lo bianco are the only players who were born in the 70's. Welcome on board, sweet aunties!
    - Eleonora Lo bianco soon shall be an 5 time Olympian. A big applause to her.
    - Josefina Fernandez (Argentina), Raïssa Nasser / Théorine Aboa Mbeza (Cameroon), Saori Kimura (Japan), Elena Ezhova / Vera Vetrova (Russia), Hwang (South Korea), Mojica Vilmarie (Puerto Rico), Maja Ognjenovic (Serbia) and Carli Lloyd (USA) will have an honor to celebrate their birthday during the Olympic period. Ognjenovic plays against Italy and Lloyd against Puerto Rico in their birthday (06th of August).
    - Puerto Rico are the last team who got their ticket for the Olympic Games. (22nd of May of 2016)
    - Kimura and Kim Y.K are the first captains who are supposed to greet the referees as their match is the first match of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
    - Jelena Nikolic, Jovana Brakocevic, Silvija Popovic (Serbia), Serena Ortolani (Italy), Debby Pilon-Stam (Netherlands), Karina Ocasio (Puerto Rico), Fabiola de Souza, Jaqueline Carvalho Endres (Brazil), Elena Ezhova, Vera Vetrova (Russia), Erika Araki (Japan) are mother Olympians. May I add Guidetti as "A candidate for a father Olympian"? :D
    - USA are the only team with 3 setters :rolleyes:

• Do you guys think Bonitta will start with Ortolani for sure? I was almost sure he will play with Del Core-Sylla duo, especially now when he invited Lo Bianco back, who played with Sylla a club season. The opposite choice is a big dilemma though. Egonu has bad technique but a huge physical advantage, Ortolani is a mix in between and Centoni has great technique with low physical abilities (mostly due to her age).

It seems that Bonitta will start with Egonu OPP and Del Core-Sylla duo as OHs.
    This might be Italy starting six:
    Lo Bianco - Egonu
    Del Core - Sylla
    Guiggi - Chirichella
    De Gennaro

• Thinking about the upcoming matches, there are a lot of teams where there is a lot of :?: regarding their starting 7...

BRA : Natalia/Fe Garay/Jaqueline ?

USA : Dietzen or Adams ? Murphy or Lowe ?

CHN ; Wei or Ding ? Yang or Gong ? Hui or Zhang ? Yuan/Yan/Xu ?

SRB : Veljkovic or Stevanovic ? Nikolic or Malesevic ?

ITA : Lo Bianco or Orro ? Egonu or Centoni ?

Also, Russia's starting line-up is easy to guess, but their bench is a big joke...

Which options look the best for you ??