Olympic Games - 2016 | 8 | 6

• I dont think anybody would be surprised if SRB gets a medal in Rio. I think most of the people in this forum consider SRB as medal contender next to CHN, USA, BRA. To me, they have more chances RUS to get a medal :whistle:

• Brazil,China,USA,Serbia and Russia, would not be any surprise at all if any of these win the Gold. And then Italy,Japan,Netherlands and South Korea still can beat those 5 anytime. Only teams with no chances at all are Cameroon, Puerto Rico and Argentina, but still Puerto Rico and Argentina could upset someone, Argentina almost did with Serbia at the World Cup.

• From this blog by Daniel Bortoletto, currently an executive editor in Rio de Janeiro and a columnist in volleyball [in Brazilian Portuguese, google translated)

"4 - The network LED will no longer be used in Rio-2016. The International Federation, after hearing the players, decided to give up the idea. The claim of the athletes was little time to adapt. sensible and correct decision."

Not sure what does "the network LED" really mean, just guess it's something related to the 'tech' things (not-so-smart-tablets) for player subs & challenges... am I right?

If so, good for volleyball then... there's no point the game and officials are being burdened by all the dumb toys.

http://blogs.lance.com.br/vole…rapidinhas-pre-olimpicas/

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• ^ He actually meant the LED volleyball nets that've been used in latest tournaments won't be part of the OG. "Network LED" is just a mistake in translation I assume.

• ^ He actually meant the LED volleyball nets that've been used in latest tournaments won't be part of the OG. "Network LED" is just a mistake in translation I assume.

I see, thanks for clarifying :) he he I still expect no tablet things

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Assuming China tops Pool B in Rio, the top spot in Pool A between Brazil and Russia becomes even more important as to avoid facing China/Serbia/USA in the quarterfinals. This game can go either way and I would say Brazil is not as strong as in 2012. If Russia wins, I don't see them having issues facing either NED/ITA in the quarterfinals whom they have beaten a couple of times this year.

• I dont think anybody would be surprised if SRB gets a medal in Rio. I think most of the people in this forum consider SRB as medal contender next to CHN, USA, BRA. To me, they have more chances RUS to get a medal :whistle:

-I actually find Serbia more colourful and consistent than others. The biggest problem for Serbia is their OHs, I hope we will see Malasevic-Mihajlovic duo but Mihajlovic's receiving will be a big question mark after a season of being opposite in Turkey.
    -Russia's chances rely heavily on Kosheleva and we still don't know how her performance will be. She has not been playing for a long time, she has a long period to come back but without her being in regular shape, Russia's chances are far too low.
    -US is the same, all they need is to improve their team game and they have tons of time to achieve that. But I don't see them getting a gold unfortunately. It wont be a surprise if they lose against BRA or CHN in semis.
    -My order of teams would be actually: CHN, BRA, SRB, US, RUS.

• I don't think CHN will top group B that easily. CHN does not have advantage over teams that playing well in defense-attack transition such as USA and ITA. Both of these teams have not been playing with their full and strongest squad in WGP week 1. It is still early to assume which team will have be the favorite to top group B. For now, I will say it's anyone's game.

• -I actually find Serbia more colourful and consistent than others. The biggest problem for Serbia is their OHs, I hope we will see Malasevic-Mihajlovic duo but Mihajlovic's receiving will be a big question mark after a season of being opposite in Turkey.
    -Russia's chances rely heavily on Kosheleva and we still don't know how her performance will be. She has not been playing for a long time, she has a long period to come back but without her being in regular shape, Russia's chances are far too low.
    -US is the same, all they need is to improve their team game and they have tons of time to achieve that. But I don't see them getting a gold unfortunately. It wont be a surprise if they lose against BRA or CHN in semis.
    -My order of teams would be actually: CHN, BRA, SRB, US, RUS.

WIth very good scorer MBs such as Rasic, Stevanovic and Veljkovic, I don't think ít will be a smart move to play with 3 opposite players at the same time :aww: I think Malesevic should be the starter, she has a decent reception and not as bad as Molnar at attacking. My favourites are CHN and USA for the final and SRB as bronze medalist although it is still to early to talk. Any injury of starting players in these 3 teams during WGP could change their medal chance drastically.

• my thoughts on the teams :

Brazil : they are not unbeatable but playing in front of home crowd makes them the fav for the gold + Ze Roberto.. question marks> : Jaquline,Sheila's performances

China : they look the most dangerous team in the OG...they have good players in all the positions , as someone here said inexperience could be their weak point otherwise they can grab the gold

Usa : Usa lacks leading wing spikers but they have good players with the starters and the bench totally

Rus : Russia's main problem the OHs. Ilcenko is very young and who else is there as a relying OH other than Scherban whose attack not that very good but ok..i think Russian OH's passing and spiking skills will determine Russsia's faith assuming KOsheleva and Goncharova will play well..China,Brazil and Usa are in front Of Russia in them of OHs..just Serbia's OHs equal or worse than Russsian's

Ser : their strong point is the middles weak point is the OHs..Boşkoviç didnt have a good season due to not playing much in TL..Brakoçevic is not ready for high level.i dont like libero cebiç.

Ita,Ned,Jap,Korea can harm some of the teams above on a good day

• For Brazil playing at home is a disadvantage. Thaisa just gave a interview talking about that. Soccer is the most popular sport in Brazil but at the OG soccer is not a big deal, so volleyball becomes the most popular sport. But of course playing at home this time soccer will get a lot of attention. But everyone will be watching volleyball just like it was the world championship in Poland. But the fans and media in Brazil are mean and only care for Gold. Either men`s or women`s team if they dont win Gold will be a disaster over there.
    And Brazil has never played any big competions at home just Grand Prix and Wortld League.

In 2007 Pan American Games the womens team lost for Cuba in the final, just look last year at the World League finals in Rio.

Ze Roberto and all the players keep saying in all interviews that USA is the best team and the team to beat. They want poeople to think Brazil is not the favorite at all.

• Of course the US is the favorite. They are the last WCH and GP champions, and also won the PanAm games against Brazil...

• I don't think the USA can be considered the 'only' favorite, or maybe a better term is they are one of the favorites to win the gold. A loss to a full-strength Serbia and Russia (3-0 no less) at last year's WC, and losing to a young-ish China team recently certainly doesn't cement their status as the favorites to win Olympic gold. But in general I think BRA, CHN, USA is a tier above the rest with Russia and Serbia close under their heels.

• Maybe for Brazil USA can be their biggest threat only because of that 2014 WCH semi-final...(but let`s be honest, Brazil was thinking that semi-final was gonna be another day in the park, only time they lost to USA in a decade was in the GP) And China was even younger than they are now....and the Grand Prix last year does not count. USA was the only team with a full squad. And Im sorry but the Pan American Games does not count either...

Im sure if you ask China,Russia and Serbia who would they prefer to play in the final, Brazil or USA? I bet the answer for the 3 would be USA...

Of course the US is the favorite. They are the last WCH and GP champions, and also won the PanAm games against Brazil...

• Maybe for Brazil USA can be their biggest threat only because of that 2014 WCH semi-final...(but let`s be honest, Brazil was thinking that semi-final was gonna be another day in the park, only time they lost to USA in a decade was in the GP) And China was even younger than they are now....and the Grand Prix last year does not count. USA was the only team with a full squad. And Im sorry but the Pan American Games does not count either...

Im sure if you ask China,Russia and Serbia who would they prefer to play in the final, Brazil or USA? I bet the answer for the 3 would be USA...

Nothing counts for you. Very funny.
    And what? Brazil only lost to USA in GP during the last decade? You have got to be kidding me...you should watch more volleyball, more matches and tournaments...

• Ok Im probably wrong, you tell me...when did Brazil loose to USA?

Brazil beat them in 2004 OG quater-finals,
    2005 Grand Champions.
    2006 WCH prelimminary round.
    2007 Pan American Games semi-final.
    2008 OG Final.
    2010 WCH final round.
    2012 OG FInal.
    2013 Grand Champions.

USA beat Brazil in 2007 and 2011 World Cup and OG 2012 preliminary round.

• I know the Olympics come every 4 years and the World celebrates it and the athletes. It's exciting to see athletes from all countries. With that being said. I like the World Championships much better. More teams are represented and better all around competition. Any thoughts?

• I know the Olympics come every 4 years and the World celebrates it and the athletes. It's exciting to see athletes from all countries. With that being said. I like the World Championships much better. More teams are represented and better all around competition. Any thoughts?

Of course quality-wise and the extensiveness of the FIVB Volleyball World Championship is higher than the volleyball competition within the multi-sport event. The Summer Olympics (for its Winter sibling is not that popular) just gets its prestige from the 4-year term plus the national prestige of the total medal tallies, but the most important things, Olympics gets much bigger blow-up coverages by the mainstream media (thus much stronger perceived worthiness thank to the strong funding, PR and publications), and there are some significant economical and political values attached to that event (hint: see also the past nation boycotts of this event and the related megaprojects). The Olympic movement with its five-color ring :olympia:
    is also part of the globalization push! You won't find these things in the standalone WCh. The same things happen to other sports too wrt OG, not just volleyball.