Olympic Games - 2016 | 8 | 6

• My general impressions:

Netherlands was the best team yesterday, there service decisions really helped block-defense by creating difficult situations for Glass. So much so I think Kiraly stayed in 5-1 because they had a difficult time scoring with first tempo in front of the setter. Unfortunately Grothues injury was more than meets the eye. Beside her stability in reception she also is a great and precise defensive player I think you will see how Sloetjes quality of attack in transition will diminish of Grothues is unable to come back.

USA has the best team but in my opinion 5-6th best coaching staff. I think in crisis Kiraly (and staff that includes Dunphy) does not have experience to recognize some strategic aspects that change throughout the match and cannot respond so I think it will be up to the players to navigate problems. I don't think encouraging them to celebrate or breathe deeply (or insert cliche here) after lost points is enough to bring the team back from deficit and unfortunately I think the players realize this. I don't like arrogant posturing and I think Americans are know for this but what I saw yesterday was arrogance quickly turn into panic and I am convinced they escaped with victory because of misfortune of Netherlands.

I think Kiraly also second guessing decision to bring the players such as Thompson and Lowe perhaps instead of Fawcett and another multi-faceted player in place of Thompson. Serbia has type of service attack and block to create problems for USA.

I would argue Netherlands was playing the best level of all teams until the injury. Brazil is difficult to tell because they are pacing themselves against Cameroon and Argentina.

• Italy must take their chance tomorrow, without Grothues they can beat NED and stay on the road of the QF... But they will have to bring some fire !

Talking about injury, Yang Fang-Xu seems to have injured her knee again in the last point vs Italy. Any news about her ?

If the Netherlands beat Italy 3-0/3-1, it's very likely China will end up with the 4th place and play Brazil at the QF. But to win the gold you'll have to go through Brazil anyways.

• Everyone has their own personal opinion but NED lost the much. Many want to blame Grothues' injury as causing Ned's defeat. She was playing and passing well. But she and Sloetjes can't do it themselves. Sloetjes was hitting out a lot and made bad hitting choices. Serving was awful. So the USA had the mental toughness and came back and won, not Grothues' injury. NED lost their mental toughness and lack of pin hitters who could terminate. So with all their problems USA won.

Yes USA had their problems and it's frustrating to watch.

IM tired of people always criticizing Kiraly. Confidence is not arrogance and its apparent when the team wins in International competition. This is a young and new team and for some reason people think they are going to be perfect. Second guessing who should have gone to Rio is ridiculous. No one knows how the practices went and who had problems. It may not be the player you think should go be but who had the potential and how well you perform.

Same goes with any team.

• I think that with the 12 person roster, you have to make sure that if someone goes down, you've got a backup that can produce immediately.

For the USA roster, I would say except for only Courtney, you've got ample replacements. Now whether Harmotto-Dietzen is at her previous levels is another story. I am not saying that these two weren't good choices. They just weren't used a lot in the World Grand Prix this year. Plus with the USA already qualified from January. Karch had enough time to see them in practice. Courtney by far is the heart and soul of the team, even on the bench. Dietzen being the captain would have been a shock to have Karch say no to.

The Netherlands matches show that the levels of the top teams right now are very close. Yes, we all expect China, USA and Brazil to reach the semifinals, but the Oranges are throwing a wrench into the system. Which makes the game that much more enjoyable to watch because you don't know what will happen.

In Pool A
    Russia and Brazil will battle for 1st on the final day the 14th.
    South Korea with Argentina and Cameroon still to play will get to 3 wins and finish 3rd.
    Japan with Russia and Brazil to play next, will probably have to beat Argentina to make the quarterfinals
    Argentina vs. Cameroon on the 12th will be an elimination match

In Pool B
    Winner of USA vs. Serbia will have 3 wins, confirming quarterfinal spot, and the Pool lead
    Serbia have USA, China and then Netherlands. Could sweep all three, but don't forget last year in the World Cup, they beat USA, but lost to China.
    China will beat Puerto Rico tomorrow to be at 2 wins, before facing Serbia and USA.
    USA with a tough Serbia match tomorrow, a weakened Italy and then China.
    Netherlands with a win over Italy would basically lock up quarterfinals berth
    Italy and Puerto Rico in must wins for the rest of the 3 matches

• If the Netherlands beat Italy 3-0/3-1, it's very likely China will end up with the 4th place and play Brazil at the QF. But to win the gold you'll have to go through Brazil anyways.

U r assuming China will loose for sure for Serbia and USA.....and that is totally not the case...it can go either way.....

Plus would be interesting a semi final Brazil vs China to see if China can pay back from Beijing.

• About Netherlands. Vs USA they were rolling until the 2nd set when they had 12-9...They let USA go on a 4-0 run and then finally Guidette calls a time..and of course it was too late. Ned is a time that makes a lot of mistake and he can not wait to call a time when they make at least 2 mistakes in a row when they have a lead like that.

Plus about Sloetjes, she was the best and the worst player on that court. In the 4th set it was tied at 19-19 and then she spikes a ball out, and then gets blocked....and she could not pass that free ball over the net, and she spiked out the set point for USA....she gave USA 4 points and victory in the 4th set. And she looked so so nervous.

And Guiddetti seamed more pissed at Grouthes herself for getting injured than worried for her... :down:

But now if they could somehow manage to finish at least in 3rd and avoid Brazil in the quater-finals...maybe if they be prepared emocionally they could beat Russia/South Korea in the quater-final.. But if Sloetjes will be this "chicken" when time comes, I would prefer Italy in quater-finals at least Lo Bianco,Centoni, Ortolani can bring in their experience and put on a better fight.

• Here's an interesting thought. In the event China places 4th in Pool B, will Brazil/Russia tank their last day match to avoid facing China in the quarters? I would certainly prefer having a chance to play a weakened Netherlands versus a guaranteed knockout match with China. Of couse this changes if China manages to win one of either Serbia or the US.

• Here's an interesting thought. In the event China places 4th in Pool B, will Brazil/Russia tank their last day match to avoid facing China in the quarters? I would certainly prefer having a chance to play a weakened Netherlands versus a guaranteed knockout match with China. Of couse this changes if China manages to win one of either Serbia or the US.

I have been thinking of the same possibility since Netherlands won over China! The upset wins will definitely mess up the pooling come knock-out rounds! Remember Russia vs Brazil in London?

• I don`t think either Brazil or Russia wants to face China in a quater-final that`s for sure....
    but at the same time....China weakness is their age and that could make it esair for Brazil and Russia to play them in a quater-final.

And I dont think Brazil and Russia wants to face Serbia either due to their recent loss to the Serbians. And unless Serbia is guarantee the first spot on the group, I dont think Brazil or Russia would want to finish in 2nd even if NED is in 3rd on the other side.....remember there will be a draw to decided who plays vs who.....we could have 2nd vs 2nd and 3rd vs 3rd.

• I don`t think either Brazil or Russia wants to face China in a quater-final that`s for sure....
    but at the same time....China weakness is their age and that could make it esair for Brazil and Russia to play them in a quater-final.

And I dont think Brazil and Russia wants to face Serbia either due to their recent loss to the Serbians. And unless Serbia is guarantee the first spot on the group, I dont think Brazil or Russia would want to finish in 2nd even if NED is in 3rd on the other side.....remember there will be a draw to decided who plays vs who.....we could have 2nd vs 2nd and 3rd vs 3rd.

I think Brazil would never loose to any team on purpose in order to avoid a stronger opponent... maybe the men's team already did it, but these girls always play to win !
    And anyway telling that China will be 4th is way too early, whan they can still finish the pool as 1st !

• Puerto Rico's Santana is a rising star, too strong :super:

• In fact, the 1 from pool a avoid the first 1 from pool b until the final match. Besides Brasil is trying tô get another Golden medal, wont be easy, but others teams must to be worried about face the Brasílian team and not the opposite.

• Yes, she is. And korean teams didn't sign her because she's too short. :down:

But according to FIVB's website she is 1.85, not so short :what: It's a pity she won't play in Italy this year.

• in short international tournaments like the olympics, tanking doesn't make sense.
    there's no way for brazil to know how much advantage gained by avoiding china.
    but if it backfires by them losing to the netherlands, the reputation damage is simply catastrophic.
    it's a bad gamble at best.