Women's World Grand Prix 2017

• I really cursed DIao when she hit Zhu ahah... :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I also think that a new setter needs to be found... Ding is too predictable as a setter and sometims lacks of confidence, not running the MB or running them in the wrong rotation.. I thought the Olympics would have boosted but they all seem overwelhmed.
    Why not calling back Shen Jingsi?
    The match we all expected for the gold will worth only the bronze.. :what:

Shen Jing-si may have retired.
    link
    At least, according to some rumors, she hopes to have a child soon. She married in 2015.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• China's weakest spot right now is the coach. An Jiajie makes a lot of silly mistakes. Fortunately, Lang Ping will be back coaching in the three major competition(WCH, Wcup and olympics). And maybe this year' champion cup as well.
    So just hope An Jiajie doesnt injure more players.

• The back-up Chinese setter that they took with them in the final round looked scared as if she was getting thrown to the mines and her family if she made a bad play. :white:

China definitely has problems with the setter but Ding Xia still is their best option. Maybe the problem was Ding Xia lost all her confidence when Zhu Ting saved them in the tiebreak of the Netherlands game.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• The back-up Chinese setter that they took with them in the final round looked scared as if she was getting thrown to the mines and her family if she made a bad play. :white:

China definitely has problems with the setter but Ding Xia still is their best option. Maybe the problem was Ding Xia lost all her confidence when Zhu Ting saved them in the tiebreak of the Netherlands game.

This. The setter looked really really nervous.

• The last match he was quite mad towards Ana in one time out

Does he think that's a good motivating factor or is he just a grumpy old man with a big ego who can't control his feelings?

• For some people it probably does motivate them but he does need to relax a bit more. While I agree he comes across as a grumpy guy, he does seem to have a good relationship with many of his players. Maybe some players (Nikolic, Busa, Zivkovic, etc) are his favourites because they respond well to his style :lol:

• Does he think that's a good motivating factor or is he just a grumpy old man with a big ego who can't control his feelings?

I think both of them. And with that unsatisfied face expression of him is the worst. Who are you to look to people with that expression? Your coaching should be the one. Doesn't matter if he wins the Olympics or WCH or whatever, he is not a great coach. Nikolic, Busa, Zivkovic, they all says great things about them because even when there are good players to be in the team, he invites thise players and put in the startes line up, no matter what.

And if the players won't express their admire towards him, he will cut them in seconds from the team. Like happened to others in the past.

• You may not like his style and that is fair enough, I probably criticise him as much as anyone on here. But when he took over Serbia (Yugoslavia in those days) were nothing and now they are possibly the best team in the world and have been winning medals for over a decade. There are many things I don't like about his approach but he has clearly done a good job for Serbia over the years. Players like Nikolic, Ognjenovic, Brakocevic, Rasic and Boskovic have become some of the best in the world partly due to his training.

• He makes such faces and expressions when the players do nothing from they have talked about before the match.. I remember the match against Russia in the ECH 2013 when they lost, Kosheleva was hitting above the block, they were losing all the time, and he was like 'it's okay, we're playing good, we can't control that'.. When his team does what they were told, even if they lose, he's always encouraging them

• You may not like his style and that is fair enough, I probably criticise him as much as anyone on here. But when he took over Serbia (Yugoslavia in those days) were nothing and now they are possibly the best team in the world and have been winning medals for over a decade. There are many things I don't like about his approach but he has clearly done a good job for Serbia over the years. Players like Nikolic, Ognjenovic, Brakocevic, Rasic and Boskovic have become some of the best in the world partly due to his training.

So do you think this gives him the right to make that face to players?

• It's interesting to me reading threads to see where folks place responsibility for wins and losses. Some favor more to the coaches and some to the players. I'm sure it's a combination. I tend to think, or maybe just wish, that it's a coach's responsibility to prepare players for the game. Once the game starts, it's on the players. Sure, a coach will do coachy things like make substitutions but I wish they'd keep their emotional negativity in check. I watch volleyball for the beautiful dance of bodies in motion, the expressions of joy and passion and teamwork. It really harshes my mellow to have it interrupted every 30 seconds with a shot of some old man having a hissy fit. I have no investment in a home country team and no background as a player. It's only entertainment for me. Or not.

I can appreciate the wisdom, experience, strategy, etc., that some of these old guys can bring to a group of young women volleyball players, but I wish they were prohibited from coaching on the sidelines and getting camera time.

Apologies to anyone offended by me saying "Hey! I don't like the coach of your team" :white:

• Here's the thing...

In 3-4 years... You'll never know... Mihajlovic, Rasic will not be the same players they used to be.

So the importance of winning world titles is now more important in order to garner such reputation and the intimidation to make your opponents quake in fear.

Saying Terzic alone is the key to Serbia's success is pretty funny. Sometimes it's all about having the right combination of players at their peaks. Serbia doesn't even lack good players. They have a great number of talent despite having such a small population.

Consistency to win tournaments is now a must in order to achieved the kind of
    mentality to never give up and sometimes it's better understood from an outsider's point of view of those who are used to winning. Lack of understanding is sometimes the reason why a strong team loses. You may know your team but does it know enough about the other teams and tactics to get to your aimed gold medal? :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I realized hours later that we needed 'only' three years to finally 'revenge' the semifinal of the 2014 WCh, when China beat us in our home! Also that time our next match was vs Brazil. I obviously hope it will end differently tomorrow xD

And also the only GP final we ever played (and loss) was vs Brazil, in 2004. I hope it will be different too :P

• So do you think this gives him the right to make that face to players?

He is allowed to be frustrated with players who he believes should be playing better. I only really have a problem when he takes a TO simply to yell at a player and make her feel bad in front of everyone.

Saying Terzic alone is the key to Serbia's success is pretty funny

No one was saying that. I think he definitely played a part in their success but I would never take anything away from the players. A coach can only help, all the great Serbian players were very talented and put in much hard work, of course. I'm not saying he is a coach at the level of Guidetti or Lang Ping, just that he has done a good job.

I agree with what you say though, next year's WCH and Tokyo 2020 are huge tournaments for Serbia because after that we don't know what the team will look like, it could be the last chance.

• And also the only GP final we ever played (and loss) was vs Brazil, in 2004. I hope it will be different too

Yes but in 2005 the last match of the robin round system was Brazil x Italy and the winner would be the champions.
    Brazil had a total renewed team and won the match in the tie break and got the gold, while Italy was silver. I remember it was the first I saw Ortolani play.

I miss those days... :win:

• I remember that FInal Game Italy vs Brazil as if it was today...and how funny, China was the defending Olympic Champions and favorite to win that GP, just like they were now, they beat Brazil in 3-0, but lost for Cuba and lost the tittle when they lost for Italy otherwise they would have won that GP.

And that was the first time I saw Ortolani as well.

Yes but in 2005 the last match of the robin round system was Brazil x Italy and the winner would be the champions.
    Brazil had a total renewed team and won the match in the tie break and got the gold, while Italy was silver. I remember it was the first I saw Ortolani play.

I miss those days... :win:

• I had no idea Mihajlovic has a minor injury, and that explains why she was so slow and in the first set all the ball were to Mihajlovic. I will take me calling her a shocker.
    Too bad Malagurski could not play also otherwise he could have used Boskovic/Malagurski/Malesevic.

But there`s no excuse for their loss. Everything went like the OG Final, they start it off great win the 1set. The opp. team make some changes in the 2nd set, but Serbia makes none, they just keep playing without any adjustments. And that is Terzic`s fault, you can`t always just play your game, when you are loosing you must adjust.

I wish I could quote all my past posts to prove I`m not just saying this now. But I wrote this many times during the WCH Q , Yeltsin Cup and during the GP. Zivkovic was only setting to Mihajlovic ALL THE TIME>..and in the WCH Q it was all to Boskovic. And I said, they should use those games to get Zikvovic and Anontjevic to work with the MBs and especially with Malesevic/Busa, they can`t play as a libero. And on my last post I said " Zinkovic is a great setter but if she will play this game to only set Boskovic and Mihajlovic she gotta go.

And I don`t get even if someone like ME can this all this happening, how come Terzic can`t see it???????????????????

I watched the game again, and I realized Malesevic was playing well and Terzic did replace her after she made her first mistake. That replacement was not necessary. And i like Milenkovic, but at the point would be better to bring Malesevic to replace Mihajlovic.

Also, Stevanovic is a better blocker than Veljkovic, if Zinkovic was not going to use the MB much , Stevanovic should have started to give Serbia a better block.

All this makes me thing if Terzic really wanted to win this GP or not. :hit:

I cant believe Brazil is in the final again.....nothing against them, but OMGGGG They basically won the GP. If next year they play with their junior team they will still end up winning,

I just hope ITALY can win .......their first GP tittle ever. :super:

• about terzic: if it's true that he acts like a mafioso and he can blacklist players in SRB that he doesn't like or who don't do what he tells them to do, then that's a major problem for me. that's acting like a thug, or a dictator, like the current presidents of the USA and RUS, like total human garbage...

i hope these players in SRB that get blacklisted by him, they can play abroad then.