Women's World Grand Prix 2017

• At first, I though that Serbia would had had reception and setting problems because Balogejevic/Pusic are new in NT, Antonijevic is still recovering her level of years ago and Zivkovic is kind of unpredictable.
    But, they played on an aceptable level.

Serbia played as a team and dominated the match specially at the end of the sets.

• Yeah, in fact Pusic is not so bad, obviously she's quite shaky in reception but plays a quite good volleyball so far. Oh speaking of which, the new American libero is supposedly not on NT level and I'd kindly ask her to lose some weight to be better. She kinda reminds me of the Brazilian libero who played for Bergamo.

• I feel Veljković will have a bigger role this year and that pretty much all top 3 Serbian MBs will be interchangable. Also, it might not be a common opinion, but so far I think Stevanović has much better connection with both Živković and Antonijević than she ever did with Maja. In fact, I'd say this is now the first time she's really been fully integrated with the team.

• Its very early I know but for me Serbia is already favourites for this Grand Prix. I mean my only concern was actually their connection with setters but both setters are doing quite well with the team. Such easy 3-0 vs Brasil is promising a lot since USA and Russia are not at their best either and even China struggles so far (without Zhu)

My early guess is Serbia for WGP 2017 :thumbsup:

• Says Mr Matthias who is always complaining about his behavior since he left German NT, this was not like this before when he was the coach of Germany not at this maximum :wavy:
    So funny how fast things can change :white:

I don't see the connection to my initial statement, but....even when Guidetti was GER NT coach I didn't like some of his behaviors and I have the impression that he became worse over the years (or with increasing success?). And many times he harms his own team the most with his freak-outs. Remember last year when there was this ridiculously wrong challenge decision in Montreux semifinal CHN-NED? It got reversed eventually, but Guidetti made such a big fuss about it that his team didn't score a single point afterwards :!: As far as I remember it went in 4th set from 20:20 to 20:25 and losing the whole match.

• Terzic stopping the match at 2x1. Did he learn with the former Russian coach?

It usually happens when they do something that goes specifically against his instructions, no matter at what time. I remember he once called a TO right after a technical TO (and with Serbia leading comfortably) just to scream at Nikolić for trying a half-assed tip/dump when they were told to keep spiking hard. :rolll:

• I'd hate to play against Rasic-Stevanovic duo, they're just too strong both in attack and block. Veljkovic is also very good, pity that she's always been 3rd MB in NT, nonetheless she's always there to help the team, if I'm not mistaken she's been with NT for 10 years and is still 27

Stefanovic never entered the court today so maybe Veljkovic will play more as a starter this year. I like her too.

• I'm glad that the Dutch team is showing the sceptics that they can still play on a high level also with Morrisson as coach. 3:0 over DOM and THA (unless they screw up real bad in the next 10 minutes) without Sloetjes is by no means a totally expect result.

• And I'll continue complaining about Guidetti....

Challenging that last serve that was about one meter out? Really? Just for the sake of not "wasting" the challenge? That was a mockery of the system and of everyone in the hall :down:

• As I said before, I will be surprised if it doesn't come down to China v Serbia

Serbia are looking really strong even without Boskovic. Mihajlovic wasn't great at the WCHQ but she seemed to be at her best in these matches so if she can keep up that level then Serbia have a great chance of gold. It is true that Stevanovic seems to have better connection with these setters so far. Previously I always thought she slightly under performed for the NT.

Brazil are a different story though. I fear that this generation will see the end of Brazil as one of the true superpowers of volleyball. They are still a good team of course and can still improve but I don't really like what I see from this team so far.

Overall I will guess China win due to their home support in the Finals, but it is very close IMO

• Is nice that Veljkovic got to play today, whenever I see her on the bench I feel bad because it is such a "waste" ,,,but even today when the camera was showing Stevanovic on the bench I felt the same way... Veljokovic would be a starter in any other team. ( and so is Rasic and Stevanovic).

I agree Serbia can win this GP, but I still consider China favorite, they are also missing Channing, and if she comes back for the final round will be hard to beat them, besides that China won`t show their best in the preliminary round, they will save the best for last. In order for Serbia to have a better chance against China they will need Boskovic.

• Is nice that Veljkovic got to play today, whenever I see her on the bench I feel bad because it is such a "waste" ,,,but even today when the camera was showing Stevanovic on the bench I felt the same way... Veljokovic would be a starter in any other team. ( and so is Rasic and Stevanovic).

I agree Serbia can win this GP, but I still consider China favorite, they are also missing Channing, and if she comes back for the final round will be hard to beat them, besides that China won`t show their best in the preliminary round, they will save the best for last. In order for Serbia to have a better chance against China they will need Boskovic.

sorry but since when is Channing a difference making player? ? dont u overestimate her or did i miss something ?

• She was the MVP in the Chinese League this past season ( last season as well). This season her and Gong improved A LOT> ( Remember she`s only 20 and Gong 18)

I was looking forward to watch her playing in this Grand Prix. ;(

Oh yeah she can make a difference, just like she did in the Olympics in the game against Brazil.

sorry but since when is Channing a difference making player? ? dont u overestimate her or did i miss something ?

• Horikawa once again off to a smashing start for Japan.

I love the Dominican hairstyles. Wish the Japanese could sport the same

• Bulgaria is doing much better than expected, but Dimitrova at OPP is weird and doesn't work well.

What happened to Zhana Todorova? Some years ago she was supposed to be the post-Filipova libero of Bulgaria and now she's not even in the wide roster...