Women's World Grand Prix 2017

• Azerbaijan won their spot in European League, right? Slovakia was in 2nd place so I guess that country might play instead of Azerbaijan.

• Venezuela will replace Azerbaijan.

Weekend 1:
    Group 3A: Australia, Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico, Hungary
    Group 3B: Columbia, Algieria, Cameroon, Venezuela

Weekend 2:
    Group 3C: Hungary, Algieria, Mexico, Venezuela
    Group 3D: Colombia, Trinidad & Tobago, Cameroon, Australia

• Will Sinead Jack play for her country?

WGP is so much less interesting right now. Surely watching games of the first division is entertaining, for example I'm pretty sure many of you guys would stay awake till midnight if there's a game between USA and Serbia or Russia versus Brazil. Second division is full of dramatic (more like ridiculous and sometimes moronic...)dramas on the other hand (typical Eastern european games as mainly those teams exist in that division). Poland almost made it to the first division but couldn't manage their inconsistency against Dominican Republic. Third division is obviously the least entertaining one, I don't even know who's playing out there but if FIVB's purpose for WGP is increasing popularity of volleyball, why not? I'm okay with it.

• Well the Grand Prix is my favorite competition, and as soon as one edition is over I'm counting the days for the next one to start.

And I do like these 3 Groups, but I like how in 2013 they had 20 teams in the Division 1, this gives the chance for smaller teams to plays with the big ones, and Bulgaria ranked in 43 playing the GP for the first time beat number 1 Brazil in 3-1. For example I like watching China vs Argentina, or Brazil vs Chinese Taipei because is nice to cheer for the underdogs and see how the game will turn out.

Well, when they play in Asia it is like 1,2,3 am my time, and I do wake up to watch the games, and I don't mind, I love it.

• I remember Venezuela dissolved its women's national team a few years ago.
    Poor Slovakia!

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Nanching will be hosting the World Grand Prix Finals on August 2-6 according to the Italian federation website

Cool for me in Asia that the Final Six will be hosted by Nanjing, the capital city of Jiangsu province and the second largest city in the east China region, can watch at my normal hours :-) being the host and has no other distraction, perhaps this time China will be fielding its best team in the final round, and I hope Zhu Ting will play in the entire tournament.

After all, the WGP provides great entertainment for all fans with excellent HQ live streaming directly from FIVB [true for all FIVB-administered tournaments], unlike the heavy-handedly restricted IOC event (only serving those blessed ones [elitists] having the TV coverage)... FIVB ones are people's sport while IOC is for the wealthy society aside from all its beautiful slogans!

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Apparently Azerbeijan and Kenya withdrew and replaced by France and Venezuela :whistle:

• According to This article the Kenyan federation still owes $76,000 to FIVB for last two World Grand Prix seasons.

They needed $142,000 for this year's season and could not get enough sponsorship to pay for it.

Interesting note on FIVB World Grand Prix travel costs from the article. In the past FIVB would pay for airfare, meals and accommodations. Now teams must pay for their own airfare.

So basically the team must win to come out ahead, but at the lower world groups, the pay is probably too low to make a profit on playing.

• ZE ROBERTO ANNOUNCES ROSTERS FOR MONTREUX VOLLEY MASTERS AND WORLD GRAND PRIX

FIVB - 2017-05-17

Brazil women's national team coach Ze Roberto with CBV volleyball director Radames Lattari

Barueri, Brazil, May 16, 2017 – Brazil women’s national team coach Jose Roberto Guimaraes (Ze Roberto) together with CBV volleyball director Radames Lattari, announced at a press conference on Tuesday, the list of players selected to train for the Montreux Volley Masters and the FIVB Volleyball WORLD GRAND PRIX.

The first challenge of the team this season will be the Montreux Volley Masters in Switzerland from June 6 to 11. The 15 players called for the competition are setters Roberta Silva Ratzke and Naiane de Almeida Rios; middle blockers Adenizia Ferreira da Silva, Ana Beatriz Silva Correa (Bia), Ana Carolina da Silva (Carol) and Mara Ferreira Leon; opposites Tandara Alves Caixeta, Edinara Brancher and Fernanda Davis Tome; outside spikers Natalia Zilio Perreira, Rosamaria Montibeller, Drussyla Andressa Felix Costa, Amanda Juliana Campos Francisco; and liberos Leia Henrique da Silva Nicolosi and Suelen Fernanda Santana Pinto.

“We are going to have four competitions – Montreux Volley Masters, WORLD GRAND PRIX, South American Championship and World Grand Champions Cup, which will close our season in September,” Ze Roberto said. “We usually call the players for each tournament because this post-Olympic year is to check and give some players a chance to show their skills, their evolution. This year we will start with Montreux.”

Ze Roberto called 24 players for the WORLD GRAND PRIX. The multi-titled coach selected

SETTERS: Roberta, Naiane, Juma Fernandes da Silva, Macris Fernanda Silva Carneiro;
    MIDDLE BLOCKERS: Adenizia, Bia, Carol, Mara, Juciely Cristina da Silva Barreto, Valquira Carboni Dullius, Saraelen Leandro Ferreira Lima;
    OPPOSITES: Tandara, Monique Marinho Pavao and Ana Paula Borgo Bedani da Cruz;
    OUTSIDE SPIKERS: Natalia, Gabi, Rosamaria, Drussyla, Amanda, Edinara and Fernanda Tome; and
    LIBEROS: Leia, Suelen and Gabriella Souza.

“I talked to Gabi (Souza) and one option that was given to her was to become a LIBERO in the national team,” Ze Roberto said. “Gabi has all the skills to make that position. She is a player who has an extraordinary personality and attitude. She has accepted the challenge.”

“For the Brazilian Volleyball Federation, it is a great pride to start another Olympic cycle with Ze Roberto as the women’s team coach,” said Lattari stressing the importance of having Ze Roberto in charge of the women’s national team. “It is always difficult to start another cycle, but Ze Roberto has plenty of experience to lead the team at this moment.”

Before the Montreux Volley Masters, the Brazilian fans will have the opportunity to see the team up close, as the team will play two friendly matches against the Dominican Republic in the city of Manaus on May 30 at 20:30 local time at the Amadeu Teixeira Arena, and in Belem on June 1 at 21:30 at the Guilherme Paraense Arena.

http://worldgrandprix.2017.fiv…-montreux-volley?id=67699

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().