Women's World Grand Prix 2017

• I'm catching up on some of last week's games. Starting to really like NED. They're quick, they hit hard, and look like they have good team chemistry. But I can't figure their rotation. Seems Plak and that beautiful blond setter rotate in and out like other teams rotate a libero with the middle blocker. I'm not well versed in this stuff but I don't think I've seen a setter get rotated like that. Is that common for them?

I keep seeing the one player I've liked before sitting in street clothes on the sidelines. She's good. I wish she was playing.

i think you are talking about the beautiful Lonneke Sloetjes, the Dutch's biggest star of volleyball, possibly one of the top 3 best female opposite hitters (along side Boskovic and Goncharova) in the world right now. she is side lined because she is recovering from an injury. i like her a lot. she is a great player. her attitude on court is very good. and when she smiles, she really brighten up.

• That is the 5/1 sub! It happens whenever the setter gets to the net in the rotation, so the coach changes the setter for the backup OPP (in this case, Daalderop) and the OPP (Plak) for the backup setter (Stoltenborg) that way he does not lose much height and power in the frontrow. Pretty much every team does that, by the way

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I mostly watch the Japanese team and I don't think I've seen them do that. They switch the Libero (when they are receiving) for the MB (when they are serving). Or maybe I'm just missing it. I've seen them switch setters, but it's not a sub that goes back and forth. It's just a different one may come in to finish a set.

Edit - I thought the Libero was the only one who you could willy nilly sub in and out and that you were limited in substituting other players.

i think you are talking about the beautiful Lonneke Sloetjes

Oh yeah, now that you say the name I recognize that. I think rbdfabio just told me about her the other day. :aww: So much for this volleyball virgin mind to process.

• That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I mostly watch the Japanese team and I don't think I've seen them do that. They switch the Libero (when they are receiving) for the MB (when they are serving). Or maybe I'm just missing it. I've seen them switch setters, but it's not a sub that goes back and forth. It's just a different one may come in to finish a set.

Edit - I thought the Libero was the only one who you could willy nilly sub in and out and that you were limited in substituting other players.

The 5/1 sub is not actually free! It counts for the limit of subs in each set (each team gets six iirc). The libero/MB switch is free because it would not make sense to have the libero in the front row to attack/block when they get there in the rotation, so it is unlimited to make the game flow better I believe. The 5/1 sub is simply tactics by the coaches.

By the way, just for the sake of history, in older volleyball, when there were no liberos around, MBs would stay on court in the backrow and actually take part in reception as well if I am not wrong.

• Ok I need to ask. How come two teams play against each other two times, but both team will play against with other teams only once?

• Brazil def Serbia 3-0

They switched it up:

Gabi as libero
    Drussyla in, Rosamaria out
    Adenizia in, Carol out

Both Tandara and Natalia stepped up their game.

• Both Brazil and Serbia had different line=ups. Serbia was leading all the way in the first set until 23-20, Amanda comes in scores 2 aces on Busa, Brazil blocks Mihajlovic and Bjelica and wins 26-24.

And from there Brazil scores ace after ace on Busa and block after block on Mihajovlic and Bjelica. I wonder how many blocks Brazil got 10,20,30?? :mad:
    Adenizia was a monster on the net. Natalia played better, and it was hard to stop her.

Of course Terzic is just testing everyone, otherwise Bjelica should have been replaced.

Sometimes loosing is good, and this loss will shake Serbia up a little. But still they can`t ever play like this again....

• Natalia speaks good English

• Brazil played better than last week. Today, Adenizia and Bia blocked several times.
    Tandara was effective too.

Busa was the worst in Serbia. She couldnt pass well any ball and ruin the serbian game system.
    Mihajlovic started very well with high porcentaje of efectivity, but then, disappear and started making mistakes. She was replaced by Milenkovic who did a good job despite of her little experience.

• I didn't like Zivkovic at all, she was so predictable today. She was setting every ball to Mihajlovic, and that worked until suddenly Brankica didn't go anymore and was blocked and made several mistakes. Then it was all about Bjelica and it didn't pay off much either. They have two great Mbs and I think the game sholud have been more various.. you can rely on your strongest spiker, but not only on him!

• Madi Kingdon proving how good she is! I also like Micha Hancock, she's running her attackers so well.

@ Canter
    I don't know her name.

• Canter use a proxy server and you can watch the match.
    And btw yea he's talking about Beyza Arici whos been doing well so far. However MB that impresses me most atm is Dicle Nur Babat she has been amazing so far.