Women's World Grand Prix 2017

• God, I still hope this announced restructuring will turn out to be some kind of belated April Fools joke. While I'm not against expanding the format to 16 teams, everything else about it is a big mess.
    Some teams are bound to have crazy schedules, like going from Poland to Korea to Argentina back to back. Could you imagine that? :wacko: Not to mention that it's simply too long, drawn out and exhausting. I bet there will be lots of outrageous tanking and B/C teams stuff.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they started changing it in 2019 already. :rolleyes:

I can't see any of top players would compete for such a long time after a tiring club season. As you said, it will be only for B/C teams. I wish they would make the GP for U23 teams only. Young players are mostly benched during regular season so they won't be so tired and mostly more eager than established players.

• It doesn't matter if you call it the WGP or the WL, the tournament is never going to be seen as all that important. We already have the OG, WCH and WC which are far more important than the WGP as well as continental championships, so why do we really need the WGP? Maybe fewer players would retire so soon from the NT if this long and not too important competition didn't exist just after a long, tough club season. If FIVB think making the format even longer will make the competition more valuable then they are very wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the GP because it produces so much volleyball to watch but how much does it really matter? I agree that it would be cool to see it as an U23 event

• No, that's not a joke. I can't find the schedule but there were some rumors that pool with Brazil, Netherlands, Poland and other team will be played in Poland.
    And Poland is going to fight to get the '7 years spot'.

Actually it's going to be quite weird to grant the spots to Germany and Korea to join Division I while eventually Poland won Group II. Even if we look historically Poland still had better WGP results than Germany and Korea. If not, what was these finals held for? :whistle:

Not to mention Argentina in Group 1...

• So Poland joins Slovenia?

FIVB is trying to outperform FIFA for the most stupid decisions. Poland is also, unlike Slovenia, a quite important country with a good market and a long tradition, but I guess it's ok to send France and Cameroon play in empty halls in Trinidad or wherever it is.

• The Korea vs Brazil match in Rio, KYK almost had negative efficient rate. And once she is substituted, Korea played way better, they even got a set point.
    PS: Her efficient rate yesterday was 10-7(4blocked,3error)/35 = 8.6%

• Even though McMahon is tell, she didn't do a good job blocking or hitting the ball to get kills. I'm not sure how Drews will play but she seems determine when she hits.

I wish that instead of having all the big tournaments in one cycle to have them ever 2 years, a lot of players miss out having to wait 4 years and we miss out on good volleyball every couple of years.

• Even though McMahon is tell, she didn't do a good job blocking or hitting the ball to get kills. I'm not sure how Drews will play but she seems determine when she hits.

I wish that instead of having all the big tournaments in one cycle to have them ever 2 years, a lot of players miss out having to wait 4 years and we miss out on good volleyball every couple of years.

WHAT to miss out indeed?

Within the every 4-year OG cycle, each year has its own big party, starting from the least important one, the annual WGP/WL in the year-1, then with allegro tempo for more demanding ones, WC in the year-2, then WCh in the year-3, and sealed off by the OG itself in the year-4... plus the fun party WGP/WL plays along each year... :whistle:

then Continental + Qualification ones... in the Asian case they have the prestigious multi-sport event, the Asian Games every four years, other continents also have... not to mention the many age-bracket ones from both the FIVB and the continental/confederation...

And have them times TWO for men's & women's (boys' & girls').

Various resources are fully occupied, having few taxing more will just be counterproductive :D

[EDIT] Corrections:
    - WCh in the year-2
    - WC in the year-3 - serves as an OG entrance door too, the two highest teams here will straightly go to OG

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 4 times, last by samsara ().

• So Poland joins Slovenia?

FIVB is trying to outperform FIFA for the most stupid decisions. Poland is also, unlike Slovenia, a quite important country with a good market and a long tradition, but I guess it's ok to send France and Cameroon play in empty halls in Trinidad or wherever it is.

But the size of Poland economy cannot be bigger than either Germany or South Korea :P in addition to the real strength in volleyball itself, size of economy must have been FIVB's important consideration... not to say that I agree with it but "Money talks, BS walks"...

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• But the size of Poland economy cannot be bigger than either Germany or South Korea :P in addition to the real strength in volleyball itself, size of economy should be FIVB's important consideration... not to say that I agree with it but "Money talks, BS walks"...

Ok, but Polish Federation is one of the richest in the world. We always organize tournaments in WGP and WL. I think next year will be more supporters due to better opponents. There were also rumors that Poland wanted to host WGP finals and next Womens WCH.

• Please can someone post China list (14 players) for F6?

Only a rumor: Zhang Chang-ning and Diao Lin-yu replace Wang Yun-lu and Yao Di
    The truth will be in the tomorrow's match.
    :thumbsup:

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Ok, but Polish Federation is one of the richest in the world. We always organize tournaments in WGP and WL. I think next year will be more supporters due to better opponents. There were also rumors that Poland wanted to host WGP finals and next Womens WCH.

There was rumour that Poland was already given the WGP finals granted they will advance to Division 1. But still just a rumour :whistle: About WCH, I also heard that Poland is one of the participants for organization.

• The sport needs annual competitions. Hence why the WGP and World League was created. This also allowed national teams more competitions. Before it was just Olympics, World Cup, World Champs and Continental Championships.

I think that the new format will be better. Some teams got penalized for playing strong opponents twice or rewarded, looking at you China, with multiple rounds hosting. The teams will have to play everyone, which in theory makes it a league (round robin). Will the travel be horrible? Yes it will be. But since they switch from an all-Asian location format, the travel has been bad. However, as a USA fan, I could almost never see my team play here in the USA. And that was even after the switch to outside of Asia.

In an Olympic year, they may shrink it to 12 or maybe split into two groups of 8 with the top teams from those groups going to the finals. Shortened to 3 weeks.

With the old World League format of 2 matches a weekend, the 6 weeks + finals was just too long. Plus you only got to see one team with the 2 matches. Now, you get the chance to see 3 teams plus yours. But the attendance for the non-home team matches are usually low. With the change, everyone gets to host, which sounds fair to the fans.

• Ah Samsara. I though the WCH was the same year as the Olympics and WC was the third year. And the continental for the USA are usually a joke for us but I'm sure not for other countries participating. But it's not like the European Teams where there are several very very good teams and players playing for a championship.

• There was rumour that Poland was already given the WGP finals granted they will advance to Division 1. But still just a rumour :whistle: About WCH, I also heard that Poland is one of the participants for organization.

If so... then it's a good, welcomed news :D

Btw I saw no one here had predicted or just guessed it earlier then was bold enough to say it out clearly that it's the Polish team that would win the G2 F4 :cup:

• They cannot announce tomorrow, lists have to be communicated in Inquiry Meeting.

According to the news from CCTV Sports (2017-07-30):

"ZHANG Chang-ning and DIAO Lin-yu, who have previously been injured, will return to the Chinese women's volleyball team. They will play in the 2017 women's World Grand Prix finals in Nanjing on August 2."

[In Chinese] http://sports.cctv.com/2017/07…Jfen7tLP9RJXL170730.shtml