Women's World Grand Champions Cup 2017

• it is not fair that South Korea got the Wild Card. It should be Serbia ranked in 3rd.

And with China hosting the GP Finals, I bet Lang Ping will send a B team to Japan.

Schachle:
    WGCC 2017: Sep. 5 - Sep. 10
    2017 Chinese National Games (Volleyball, senior): Sep.11 - Sep.21 (8 teams)
    2017 Chinese National Games (Volleyball, U21): Aug.28 - Sep.7 (8 teams)
    Team B? If possible, "Team E" may also be shown.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• I dont get it....Korea drop every opportunity they have to play the World Grand Prix, but they are still being given wild cards to other major competitions???? ?(

• This wild card should be given to Serbia :down: :down:

• Japan always selects teams that they have higher chances of beating, usually South Korea or some team from the Americas. So far all the wildcards finished fifth or sixth and South Korea is receiving its 5th wildcard. Don't expect European teams to get selected.

• The FIVB official website launched.

Women's Grand Champions Cup 2017
    http://grandchampionscup.2017.women.fivb.com/en

Wonder who's this Japanese cutie, seems an official, not a player.

CHN USA BRA RUS KOR JPN
    For the sake of the tournament's title name "GRAND Champions Cup", the Serbian team should be here instead of the Korean one :cup:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 2 times, last by samsara ().

• @ samsara

She's Sachiko Sugiyama, former Japanese NT MB and 2 times Olympian(2004,2008).
    She looks younger but 37 years old now :teach:

• Sugiyama still looks so great, pity that she couldn't play in NT any longer :( I didn't have any difficulties recognising her :D :mirror:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• @ samsara

She's Sachiko Sugiyama, former Japanese NT MB and 2 times Olympian(2004,2008).
    She looks younger but 37 years old now :teach:

Ryu Takamiya, thank you for informing her name :-)

Another "grand or world" FIVB tournament means another great entertainment, tho I have lowered down my expectation for the "grandness" having read all the posts here :-) I just hope all participants will be able to send quality, at least decent, line-ups there.

FIVB really loves those "high attributes", casual readers will hardly digest the significance of each :cheesy:

- World Championships
    - World Cup
    - World Grand Champions Cup
    - World Grand Prix

I just guess that it's the correct order of significance (between the WGCC vs WGP)... ha ha ha

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Are these the tournaments for this year? Which ones will the A teams participate in?

• Are these the tournaments for this year? Which ones will the A teams participate in?

No. World Championships are in 2018 and World Cup is in 2019. This is the one year in the Olympic cycle without a major world competition.

This year we will have World Championships qualifying which most teams will send their A team for. World Grand Prix is for A teams but most coaches will give a chance to the younger players as well. World Grand Champions Cup will also have some A team players I guess but it is not really a major competition so some players will probably skip it.

Also we will have continental competitions. A teams will certainly play at the European Championships.

• USA's roster:
    S - Lloyd, Carlini
    OP - Drews, Whitney
    OH - Larson, Hill, Bartsch, Kingdon
    MB - Akinradewo, Dixon, Adams, Gibbemayer
    L - Wong-Orantes, Courtney

Chinese training roster (not sure):
    S - Ding Xia, Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Zeng Chun-lei
    OH - Zhu Ting, Zhang Chang-ning, Liu Xiao-tong
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Yan Ni, Zheng Yi-xin, Wang Chen-yue
    L - Lin Li, Wang Meng-jie

PS:
    Wang Chen-yue should join U23 NT for U23 WCH but due to Xu Yun-li's heavy injury, she may participate in WGCC 2017.
    Zhejiang's two OHs, Li Jing and Wang Hui-min may lose the trust of coaches of Chinese senior NT.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• I was expecting Hui Ruoqi in GCC? Any chance?

I heard in an interview that Lang Ping was looking forward to her come back for the WGCP!! :super: Still, I don't think she will ever be close to her level of 2013 but nevertheless, giving the (few) options that China has right now, she is a better choice than any Liu or LI or Wang Yunlu :lol:

BTW I'm an Italian Born Chinese and I can say... FORZA LUBEEEEEE :heart:

• Japanese roster:

S - Koyomi Tominaga, Miya Sato
    OP- Risa Shinnabe, Mari Horikawa
    OH- Yurie Nabeya, Yuki Ishii, Mami Uchiseto, Rika Nomoto
    MB- Nana Iwasaka (C), Erika Araki, Haruyo Shimamura, Mai Okumura
    L - Kotoe Inoue, Mako Kobata

From Asian Championships,
    Koga(OH) and R.Ishii(OP) out, Y.Ishii(OH) and Horikawa(OP) in

Koga has pain in the outer ligament of her right knee after she injured it during ACH, that's why she isn't in the roster.

• I was hoping for the return of Arisa. I guess she's gone the way of Miyashita.

Sad for me that the four players I liked the most from my introduction to the team last year are all MIA for one reason or another:

Saori
    Saori Sakoda
    Arisa
    Miyashita

Happy to see Mari Horikawa back