Women's World Grand Champions Cup 2017

• i know but as sheilla's backup, we never saw her much ... or at least, i saw her enough but don't remember that she was this unstoppable. so i thought, she got really good lately.

at least in this match, roberta is hardly setting the middles... very strange.

• something is wrong with the website, they are not showing the last day.

according to sofascore, all 3 games start 1 hour earlier on saturday.

https://www.sofascore.com/volleyball/2017-09-09

The schedule of the "remaining" 9 matches... true that the Sunday's matches (last day) all start at one hour earlier, to accommodate the award & closing ceremony.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Yeah, that's an entertaining point. That game was interesting to me to see different styles of winning. The sets China won, they seemed to dominate. The sets Brazil won they did it by being scrappy (with some Tandara scares--the player I would least want to see flying in from the backcourt at me).

Brazil is a blocking machine. I really like Ana Beatriz, and missed anyone talking about her because I didn't know her nickname :rolll:

• roberta usually sets her middles only once (at the beginning of the set) but then forgets about them for the rest of the set. if only she will trust her middles more

• wow. that was a crazy 5th set... can't believe BRA was up 10-5 but still lost. well, CHN played incredible. not just zhu ting, but zhang changning's serves (and a crucial dig), she really killed BRA reception at the crucial moments.

it's amazing how bizarre and unorthodox the arm swings are for both gabi g. and zhu ting. i can't believe they can hit so well considering how strange they move their arms. now that i think of it, both paula and jaque also had weird arm swings.

yes, not just bia, ade and carol are good blockers, i forgot to mention juci, fabiana and thaissa. BRA volleyball goes up and down but blocking seems to be their forte.

• Frolova blocking Akinradewo :rolll:

• Goncharova is really picky about which sets she'll swing at.

• I don't understand the Russian coach, why is Frolova not being subbed whenever she is in the front :down:

• I don't understand the Russian coach, why is Frolova not being subbed whenever she is in the front :down:

why is she even part of the team? Makes no sense at all..She makes so many mistakes. She`s already 30, she wont make to Tokyo. He`s 70, I guess in his mind he thinks she still young.

I think he must be in love with her. :heart:

• Kosheleva doesn't really go over most of the blocks compared to in the past. Age perhaps? Voronkova is really the only OH who can substitute her in terms of attack.

• What did the commentator mean by (if I heard him correctly) "Russia uses an old school two-passing system from the 80s?" Isn't that what everybody does--one pass, one set?

• What did the commentator mean by (if I heard him correctly) "Russia uses an old school two-passing system from the 80s?" Isn't that what everybody does--one pass, one set?

If I am not wrong: two-passing system means that they only receive with two players. In this case, just the libero (Treytakova who is use for receiving) and Frolova. The other OH (Kosheleva) is out of the reception.

I think he`s talking about Kosheleva, she`s a OH but she is not passing the ball, only Frolova and the Libero is passing. I guess in the 80`s was like that? I don`t know, but that is my guess.

• Kosheleva doesn't really go over most of the blocks compared to in the past. Age perhaps? Voronkova is really the only OH who can substitute her in terms of attack.

yes Kosheleva is just not herself. She cant score right now. Russia was leading 18-15 and she got a set but she could not score. Russia could have wrapped this game already.

• Okay, it confused me because it seems like we're talking about "receiving" the ball. I'm trying to get up to speed on this receiving thing. Isn't this also what Japan does when Nagaoka is playing OP, or is it only if the OH is not receiving.