Women's World Grand Champions Cup 2017

• With no individual awards given to Zhu yet she is such an amazing player has ever lived. I dont really care if any European users will disagree. She is better than your faves. Like sisko95 said. For example, Kosheleva won best OH is ridiculous when Zhu could have won it. She still won MVP anyway. Seems like any non-European won any individual award is inaccurate to him/her. :rolll:

• Seems like any non-European won any individual award is inaccurate to him/her.

:rolleyes: Seriously give me a break.

Let me make myself clear: I think Zhu is the best player in the world at the moment. IMO she has deserved her MVP awards for WC, OG, etc. Is she the best player ever? I don't know, it is impossible for me to say. I also don't really care

Can people on this forum stop inventing a pro-European conspiracy, please?

• Can people on this forum stop inventing a pro-European conspiracy, please?

Is this actually going on? rbdfabio is building his own army to fight against the european lobby only he and his followers can see... :rolll:

RainsofSHAME made my day! :lol:

• I don't know, it is impossible for me to say. I also don't really care

This so much. It's pointless. Times change, volleyball changes. We can't invent a time machine to put Zhu, Cecilia Tait, Mireya Luis, Barbara Jelić, top form Sokolova and all those other great players against each other to determine who's the best. And even if we could, there's no way of knowing how, say, Valentina Ogienko would have performed if she had been born 30 years later or how any of today's players would manage in the mid-80s.

• This so much. It's pointless. Times change, volleyball changes. We can't invent a time machine to put Zhu, Cecilia Tait, Mireya Luis, Barbara Jelić, top form Sokolova and all those other great players against each other to determine who's the best. And even if we could, there's no way of knowing how, say, Valentina Ogienko would have performed if she had been born 30 years later or how any of today's players would manage in the mid-80s.

Thank you, that was exactly my point. It's impossible to call any player "the greatest woman in volleyball history".

• Thank you, that was exactly my point. It's impossible to call any player "the greatest woman in volleyball history".

I perfectly agree!

It's hard enough to compare – let's say – Zhu and Kim, let along Zhu and all the strong players that ever played volleyball in the past, and in every role!

Anyway, for me Zhu has definitely already earned a spot in the volleyball 'hall of fame'! :flower:

• I said I would call Zhu the greatest based on her achievements, she already won 2 out of 3 major Tournaments, World Cup and Olympics, if she wins World Championship she will have won all 3 majors. Which players have won all 3? It can only be Cubans, Chinese and URSS. I don`t know if Lang Ping was part of the team when they won all 3 back in the day. I think Mireya Luis won all 3, and there`s problem some other Cubans also.

on the top of that Zhu won other tournaments such as CL, Club Championship, Youth WC. And even more on the top she won MVP in every tournament she won GOLD> For me that is more enough to call someone the greatest ..

And the thing is she`s only 22....I can`t even imagine how much GOLD she will have by the time she`s 30.

• Is this actually going on? rbdfabio is building his own army to fight against the european lobby only he and his followers can see... :rolll:

RainsofSHAME made my day! :lol:

Can I ban you, SHAME? :drink:

I honestly find this pro-european conspiracy stupid which sadly is being concocted by rdfabio's persecution-sensitive mind. :win:

I actually find the Men's WGCC more aptly scheduled making it good competition because ECH is already over. Meaning the CEV rankings doesn't have to be sacrificed for this meaningless tournament especially for european teams. USA still has a qualification tournament for World Championship but lol against Costa Rica,Trinidad and Tobago... yeah no way they are losing that unlike South Korea that has like enough competition to make WCH qualification troublesome :whistle:

You know it is all about timing... and bad timing got this women's WGCC because more important tournaments are being held after this WGCC. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Well damn. Japan always going five sets about gives me a heart attack getting to the end. Another entertaining match.

A little changing of the guard for me. It used to be Miyashita the setter and Arisa the libero I was in love with for their defense. But Tominaga setting and Inoue digging at libero are rocking my world now. Tominaga can't match Miyashita's floor defense but her serves, and maturity in floor leadership are an improvement. Inoue will improve her block coverage and I'll be fine.

I think Japan will crack the imaginary TOP-7 when they get Koga and Nagaoka back. I would have played Nomoto more in these last two games, but I'm not the coach.

• I don't think calling this tournament meaningless is about a European conspiracy but I do think it's disrespectful to the players of all teams.

• I don't think calling this tournament meaningless is about a European conspiracy but I do think it's disrespectful to the players of all teams.

It is subjective so you should respect people's opinion if they think it is a meaningless competition which basically provides nothing to the world ranking or even in their continental ranking. :whistle:

What is irritating is rdfabio insistence on telling false information on ECH's importance especially to european teams considering it provides them the privilege to enter bigger competitions such as the olympics and its qualification tournament... :whistle:

I absolutely believe rdfabio won't be saying his poor CSV or NORCECA tournaments is not more important than WGCC if the competiton between national teams in there are as tight as it is in Europe. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• It's more important to respect someone's opinion on an internet board than the players actually playing in the tournament?

• Did we(the "pro-european" inside-volley posters according to rdfabio) ever disrespected players or teams for participating in this tournament? :whistle:

You can't tell us that when rdfabio and his gang has been lambasting european teams for not prioritizing this tournament over ECH. :whistle:

#FreeBritney

• This so much. It's pointless. Times change, volleyball changes. We can't invent a time machine to put Zhu, Cecilia Tait, Mireya Luis, Barbara Jelić, top form Sokolova and all those other great players against each other to determine who's the best. And even if we could, there's no way of knowing how, say, Valentina Ogienko would have performed if she had been born 30 years later or how any of today's players would manage in the mid-80s.

Well said Joana!

rdfabio and his conspiracy theories about European-non-European! :aww: :wall: I'm from Asian side of Turkey, I wonder if I am allowed to oppose to his ideas without being labeled of "hater"? :rolleyes:

I agree.
    And I don't think at all it's meaningless (just the friendly matches are, and even about that I'm not so sure ;) *), it's simply not the main focus of the summer for an European team. But I believe every professional players has to try to win every match he plays!

For example, I would be upset if Italy will underperform/won't fight in the male tournament, but I won't blame the coach if he will choose to give more space to the subs. The important things is that the subs will try their best to win anyway. If they'll lose doing so, I would be sad but not disappointed.

*may be also the matches that you play being already sure of getting the first place on the pool or being qualified for something

• I certainly don't think the competition is "meaningless" just that it obviously isn't that important compared to others. I don't think that's disrespectful to the players because I think they would agree with me. Probably when Zhu looks back on her career she won't even remember it.

Honestly, this debate has become much bigger than it had any reason to be. If you as a fan care more about this competition than the ECH then that is absolutely your right. My personal opinion (and the rest of the pro-Europe lobby :lol: ) is that it is not.

Lets just get back to enjoying volleyball :thumbsup:

• Well, just read the news that China has already claimed the championship..so the remaining matches are really academic. Wonder if the stadium will be empty like the recently held World Club Championship tomorrow or the fans will turn up in full force for the last match?

• Generally, this is how NTs see their competitions along the OGs cycle.

Continental championships > WGP/WL > Grand Champions Cup
    World championships > WGP/WL
    World Cup > Continental championships > WGP/WL
    Olympic games > WGP/WL

First year continental championships are more important than the FIVB competitions (expecially GCC is often used to prove new player, just like WGP and WL).

Second year world championships are more important than the FIVB competitions. No need to say any more.

Third year World Cup is the most important competition, since it qualifies 3+1 teams to the OGs, then continental championships matter more than FIVB competitions.

Fourth year OGs is all that matters.

There are few exceptions to this.

European teams think like i wrote.

Brazil values its continental championship less than the FIVB competitions, due to poor opponents (probably the prize money is lower as well). As far as I remember youngsters and back up players can find their space in this tournament.

NORCECA is not that important anymore, you could see USA Team giving up the tournament because the team was already qualified to the OGs; here it's also a matter of opponents, because when Cuba can put a strong team, USA Team really fights for the title(sending the best possible team).

Asian Teams usually value FIVB tournaments (they - mostly Japan - are almost always host of them and that is a very strong reason) way more than the continental ones, where the real competition usually starts just in the QFs/SFs.

So it isn't Europe against Grand Champions Cup. It's just a matter of importance given by many factors (money, opponents, qualification to the OGs, historical moment - for example France and Italy will send the same teams which played the ECH because of their epic fails, which are the best teams they can send right now - and so on).

• Line of the night from Clayton Lucas:

Good thing Carli Lloyd doesn't have hairy arms or we might have had a block touch