Women's World Grand Champions Cup 2017

• USA-Brazil match decides the silver medalist. Japan only has bronze to fight for, guaranteed by beating China 3-0 or 3-1.

• Japan only has bronze to fight for, guaranteed by beating China 3-0 or 3-1.

I'll be there rooting for them, and by "there" I mean in front of my TV watching a replay :super:

China is the only team in this tournament I don't think, hope, or dream Japan can beat, especially if I'm not able to watch it live

[Edit] Actually I do hope and dream, but ...

• USA-Brazil match decides the silver medalist. Japan only has bronze to fight for, guaranteed by beating China 3-0 or 3-1.

Since China had secured the gold medal, Lang Ping probably asks An JiaJi to let their bench players, especially the newcomers, to play more. Probably the core team players will just play the cheerleaders in this match.

• Since China had secured the gold medal, Lang Ping probably asks An JiaJi to let their bench players, especially the newcomers, to play more. Probably the core team players will just play the cheerleaders in this match.

That would be cool, but this is CHN v JPN we're talking about.

• That would be cool, but this is CHN v JPN we're talking about.

Lang Ping usually doesn't give a fck about the backseat drivers. She prefers to give her youngsters the chance to acquire more experience than to please the "audience". We can see her strong character in Montreux and in World GrandPrix where she keeps her decision to bring many youngsters and newcomers she can for those tournaments despite being criticized from all side. But we never know, An JiaJi could convince her that China NT looks better if the team win the tournament with zero defeat.

• Quoted from "jetmasters"

USA-Brazil match decides the silver medalist. Japan only has bronze to fight for, guaranteed by beating China 3-0 or 3-1.
    Since China had secured the gold medal, Lang Ping probably asks An JiaJi to let their bench players, especially the newcomers, to play more. Probably the core team players will just play the cheerleaders in this match.

Lang Ping told the reporters yesterday she wants the team to win the Japanese, so I don't think she will put the bench players on the court today except ZhengYi Xin and GongXiang Yu.

• Love Zhu Ting but I don't know if tomorrow she will be surclassed by Zhang or Yuan.. I mean it is the last match and decisive for the individual awards so if they get to play better than Zhu they may get the MVP award. Though I hope Zhu will get it YUan and Zhang still are on track for other individual awards..they are very close to the top 3... #goodluckgirls

The 11 points of Zhu Ting in the spectacular CHN vs BRA tiebreak is more than enough to convince almost everyone that she deserves the MVP title. Pretty sure Yuan will win the MB title in this tournement. She will probably start to hoard the best MB title in the upcoming tournaments as well.

• was just watching the BRA-JPN match. do they have soo many coaches or what lol? they even hired a foreign coach?
    like I can see 3 "coaches" standing everywere during the time out.

and why are there 3 Asian countries? Korea as sacrificial lamb for Japan?

• No, we can't. This is not Tennis, this is a team game. Zhu hasn't won those titles on her own, though undoubtedly she played a big role in all of them. But there's still a long way to go before she is "the greatest woman in volleyball history" :roll:

Yes. Zhu is not yet in the included with the likes of Fofao, Venturini, Ruiz, Luis, Gamova, Shashkova, Sheilla, Scott-Aruda etc.

• okay so in Korea vs Brazil, commentary says that Thaisa is already back in training.

• Lang Ping told the reporters yesterday she wants the team to win the Japanese, so I don't think she will put the bench players on the court today except ZhengYi Xin and GongXiang Yu.

I think it's more a PC speech than a real thought from Lang Ping's mind. No coach in this world would tell the reporters that he/she doesn't care about to win a game.

• if Leia wont come back as BRA's libero, I can def see Gabi Souza being the main libero for Tokyo 2020

• Brazil values its continental championship less than the FIVB competitions, due to poor opponents (probably the prize money is lower as well). As far as I remember youngsters and back up players can find their space in this tournament.

Even though it would be hard to believe, and I agree Brazil faces low level opponents in is continental championship, Brazil has always sent its best line up to the CSV championship at least in the last 20 years. And that is one of the reason why the last time Brazil lost a set was in 1999 :!:

As well as ECH doesnt give fivb ranking points anymore, but it is still an honour for european teams, CSV championship is also respected by the brazilian staff, in spite of they know they are just flying to the host city to pick up their crown and play boring matches.

I really dont remember when was the last time Brazil sent "youngsters and back up" players to this tournment. I remember players who were starters in their due season, like Valeskinha, Sassa, Paula Pequeno,Mari etc, been awarded in CSV championship since 2001. And of course, the well known stars Sheilla, Fabiana, Fabi, Fofao, Fe Garay, etc, has been awarded too in the last 5 editions.

And this year, Brazil sent the same squad which won the gold medal in the World Grand Prix.

• well, JPN plays better at home, we know that. they beat the USA in the WCh and WC recently but they were at home.

btw JPN seems to be serving really well, in addition to defense and counter-attack.

so i guess BRA and USA are fighting for silver at this point?

• Since China had secured the gold medal, Lang Ping probably asks An JiaJi to let their bench players, especially the newcomers, to play more. Probably the core team players will just play the cheerleaders in this match.

I don`t think China will start with their bench, they did not even start with the bench against Korea. The bench only came in after the 15-0 run. I think China will play the whole game with the starting 6.

I think Yuan and Ana Beatriz should win best MB, Ana Beatriz is current the #1 blocker with 15 blocks and she`s the best score among all MB.

• I don't know whether it's already mentioned or not,
    Kelly Murphy skipped this tournament because she wants to get a teacher's license of an elementary school :)

Japanese commentator said this on yesterday's JPN-USA match.

• horikawa is the most caucasian-looking of all the jPN players...

I call her "the redhead"

• just watched a little bit of the JPN x USA match.

as i said, JPN is serving really well, they gave BRA lots of trouble and same in the first set against USA.

it's exhausting playing JPN. the ball doesn't drop so you have to continuously swing at it and defend, and attack again. DOM used to get very frustrated by it, but it's no different for other teams. you hit so hard and it keeps coming back.