Women's World Grand Champions Cup 2017

• Sidenote: Ugly japs trying to cheat in the set 2 is just so typical of them

tbf, I think the ball was out. The only person to be blamed is the hawk eye guy who didn't show the footage long enough and also for not having zoomed the contact point.

• Sidenote: Ugly japs trying to cheat in the set 2 is just so typical of them :down:

^ This is the end of the line for me. :down:

Thanks for the memories guys and gals :white:

• Awards for the tournament.

Most Valuable Player: Zhu Ting (CHN)
    Best Outside Spikers: Zhu Ting (CHN), Jordan Larson (USA)
    Best Middle Blockers: Ana Carolina Da Silva (BRA), Yuan Xinyue (CHN)
    Best Setter: Koyomi Tominaga (JPN)
    Best Opposite Spiker: Tandara Caixeta (BRA)
    Best Libero: Kotoe Inoue (JPN)

Top Scorer by Day
    28 – Tandara Caixeta of Brazil v Russia on September 5
    33 – Zhu Ting of China v Brazil on September 6
    27 – Nataliya Goncharova of Russia v USA on September 8
    22 – Andrea Drews of USA v Japan on September 9
    26 – Zhu Ting of China v Japan on September 10

Top Scoring Performances
    33 – Zhu Ting of China v Brazil on September 6
    28 – Tandara Caixeta of Brazil v Russia on September 5
    27 – Nataliya Goncharova of Russia v USA on September 8
    26 – Zhu Ting of China v Japan on September 10
    22 – Andrea Drews of USA v Japan on September 9

Top Individual Serving Performances
    4 – Mariia Frolova of Russia v USA on September 8
    4 – Kimberly Hill of USA on September 8
    4 – Koyomi Tominaga of Japan v Russia on September 6
    4 – Tandara Caixeta of Brazil v Russia on September 5

Top Team Serving Performances
    11 – Brazil v Russia on September 5
    11 – USA v Russia on September 8
    9 – Japan v Russia on September 6

Top Individual Blocking Performances
    7 – Irina Filishtinskaia of Russia v Japan on September 6
    6 – Erika Araki of Japan v Brazil on September 8
    6 – Ana Carolina Da Silva of Brazil v Russia on September 5
    5 – Ana Carolina Da Silva of Brazil v China on September 6
    5 – Ana Beatriz Correa of Brazil v China on September 6
    5 – Ana Beatriz Correa of Brazil v Russia on September 5

Top Team Blocking Performances
    18 – Brazil v Russia on September 5
    17 – USA v Japan on September 9
    17 – Russia v Japan on September 6
    16 – Russia v USA on September 8
    16 – Brazil v China on September 6

Highest Scoring Sets
    28-26 – Japan v USA on September 9
    28-26 – Russia v Japan on September 6
    27-25 – Brazil v Japan on September 8
    26-24 – Japan v China on September 10
    26-24 – Japan v Korea on September 5

Highest Scoring Matches
    230 – Japan v USA 2-3 (22-25, 25-21, 28-26, 21-25, 12-15) on September 9
    211 – Brazil v China 2-3 (20-25, 12-25, 25-20, 25-23, 17-19) on September 6
    208 – USA v Russia 3-2 (23-25, 25-21, 19-25, 25-21, 15-9) on September 8
    181 – China v Japan 3-1 (25-22, 24-26, 25-18, 25-16) on September 10
    175 – Russia v Brazil 1-3 (17-25, 25-23, 23-25, 12-25) on September 5

Don't get Jordon Larson as one of the best outside hitters.

• Don't get Jordon Larson as one of the best outside hitters.

Well. she was by far USA's best player this tournament, and since USA had to have one name in the dream team...
    Personally I'd have given it to Gabi.

• The 2012 Summer Olympics in London
    "Those were the days" when the USA team was on its top level while the CHN team was on its record low (in the modern volleyball)... so low the CHN team even failed to pass the quarterfinals and was beaten by the JPN team 2-3 there in a tight match... a few modern Olympics whereas the CHN ended up empty handedly. And I think that was the best achievement of the JPN team against the CHN squad in the modern era, as well as JPN's best achievement in Olympics in the modern times grabbing the bronze medal, Saori Kimura was the captain of the successful team while Wang Yi-mei was the doomed warrior from the loser. Also the concluding moment of my self being stopped watching volleyball for the deep "ill-feel" of such disappointingly useless low quality and uncompetitive CHN squad... took a 2-year sabbatical leave until the 2014 WCh in ITA. Certainly not a pleasing moment yet equally an unforgettable fragment of time :whistle: :rolleyes:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Why Wang Yi-mei is not playing in NT?She retired?Injury problems?Attitude problems?Low performances after 2012?
    I dont think Gong or Zeng Chunlei are better players than she is

• i don't know why wang left the team or was left out, but it's been many years. but both zeng and gong can receive serve, and WYM can't, so they are very useful. i think wang had some years as a destroyer but later, her hitting declined so maybe that's why.

• Why Wang Yi-mei is not playing in NT?She retired?Injury problems?Attitude problems?Low performances after 2012?

Wang Yi-mei's injury is much. (mainly about her waist)
    Wang Yi-mei said after the 13th Chinese National Games in August, 2017, "If you don't see my name in the roster of Team Liaoning, I will be retired."
    On the other hand, Wang Yi-mei's left-side spike is still much better than right-side spike.
    And in the present Chinese NT, the three wing spikers must have good reception! must have!

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• i don't know why wang left the team or was left out, but it's been many years. but both zeng and gong can receive serve, and WYM can't, so they are very useful. i think wang had some years as a destroyer but later, her hitting declined so maybe that's why.

I add a sentense. Lang Ping said or showed the mind, "In China, there are no opposite hitter that only focuses on spike." or "In China, there are no strong-power opposite hitter." (Chinese:中国没有强力接应) If Gong Xiang-yu or other OPs "touches" the level of Sheilla, she might not receive the ball in the match. In fact, in China, no one "is" the strongest Sheilla,Togut,Blakocevic,Slotijes or other European-style or American-style OPs.

I maybe have many Chinglish words to write. Sorry.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Why are we comparing Wang Yi Mei with opposite hitters? Hasn't she always been a non-receiving outside hitter in the national team?

I always had the impression that Wang Yi Mei's undoing was her low stamina. I remember she made too many errors in drawn out matches.

• Well. she was by far USA's best player this tournament, and since USA had to have one name in the dream team...
    Personally I'd have given it to Gabi.

(i) "Jordan Larson was by far USA's best player this tournament" ==> okay, can agree with that

(ii) "since USA had to have one name in the dream team" ==> LOL, did you mean that a medal winner team must have a representative in the individual awards winner or else??? Is it always the case?

(iii) objectively, either ZHANG Chang-ning or Gabriela Guimaraes (Gabi) deserves more that award!

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Japan imitated the european style of attack after London Olympics with Nagaoka as a non-receiver and it didn't go well for them.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Why are we comparing Wang Yi Mei with opposite hitters? Hasn't she always been a non-receiving outside hitter in the national team?

I always had the impression that Wang Yi Mei's undoing was her low stamina. I remember she made too many errors in drawn out matches.

WANG Yi-mei was just a history as far as concerning the CHN NT. If there was no place for her in the NT as of four years ago after Lang Ping taking over the head coach position, how can one revive the closed case today, when she's no longer young either??? Just irrelevant at all. And don't think she's anyhow better than Zeng CL or Gong XY or Liu Xiao-tong nowadays.

• What do you mean? I don't understand.

WANG Yi-mei was just a history as far as concerning the CHN NT. If there was no place for her in the NT as of four years ago after Lang Ping taking over the head coach position, how can one revive the closed case today, when she's no longer young either??? Just irrelevant at all. And don't think she's anyhow better than Zeng CL or Gong XY or Liu Xiao-tong nowadays.

• Sidenote: Ugly japs trying to cheat in the set 2 is just so typical of them :down:

having different opinions is good and all but this is just plain rudeness. :thumbdown:

• What do you mean? I don't understand.

Sorry, I should have quoted the original post re:Wang Yi-mei by Gomez4 as below i/o yours.. your post was simply at the end of the loop when I clicked reply :P

Why Wang Yi-mei is not playing in NT?She retired?Injury problems?Attitude problems?Low performances after 2012?

• samsara, not trying to re-litigate the 2012 olympics, but i don't think that was the low point of the CHN volleyball team. it's true that they were disappointed in losing in the QFs, but so did RUS, ITA and DOM. and SRB and TUR (being in a much tougher pool) didn't even advance to QFs.

IIRC, CHN finished 11th at some WCh (2002?) so london was not the worst result for CHN volleyball.

in london, lots of upsets happened. on paper, we'd expected in the semis: USA, BRA, and 2 of the 3: CHN, RUS, ITA. but who'd thought BRA would struggle in pool play, KOR would beat both BRA and ITA? and so BRA had to face RUS in the QFs (what a heart-stopping match that was), and nobody expected both JPN and KOR to win their semis. but such is sport. and even crazier results happened in rio, when all 4 teams in one pool made the semis.

• samsara, not trying to re-litigate the 2012 olympics, but i don't think that was the low point of the CHN volleyball team. it's true that they were disappointed in losing in the QFs, but so did RUS, ITA and DOM. and SRB and TUR (being in a much tougher pool) didn't even advance to QFs.

IIRC, CHN finished 11th at some WCh (2002?) so london was not the worst result for CHN volleyball.

in london, lots of upsets happened. on paper, we'd expected in the semis: USA, BRA, and 2 of the 3: CHN, RUS, ITA. but who'd thought BRA would struggle in pool play, KOR would beat both BRA and ITA? and so BRA had to face RUS in the QFs (what a heart-stopping match that was), and nobody expected both JPN and KOR to win their semis. but such is sport. and even crazier results happened in rio, when all 4 teams in one pool made the semis.

Actually it is the lowest point in China women's volleyball history and it's part of the Wang Yimei era. China never lost a single set against Japan at the Olympics and were 5-0 in matches. 2010 WCH's 10th place finish was second lowest in history behind 1974's 14th place finish. Only redeeming finish was 3rd at 2011 WC. Also didn't do well at Asian Championship losing 2 times to Thailand and didn't qualify for the GCC.