Women's World Grand Champions Cup 2017

• I think I asked exactly the same question four years ago and I still don't get what this meaningless tournament is for :roll: Of course as a fan I'd love to see splendid players that you don't see every day like Kosheleva or Larson but if I ever were a player I'd definitely be annoyed and tired to work out for this over getting ready for such important ones (say, ECH) or evenly club performances.

• It's just a filler tournament after the Olympics.

• s over getting ready for such important ones (say, ECH) or evenly club performances.

Any FIVB tournament is more important than any CEV tournament.
    Kosheleva and Larson are playing because they want to, they are not required or forced to play, they could just choose not to play if they wish, Adenizia for example decided not to play this tournament.

ECH is that important? more than half of the teams does not even belong in GP group 1 (Germany,Poland,Hungary,Croatia,Bulgaria,C.Republic,Arzebaijan.. While some does not even belong in Group 3 such as Georgia,Belarus,Ukraine).

I wish Serbia was in Japan playing against the actual best teams in the world, instead of playing ECH against all these mediocre teams mentioned above.

• I will give you a news: for european teams, ECH are more important than WGP and GCC (same it happens for men). You will never see a NT playing with 2nd team at ECH while you will see this for some european team every year. That's all.

The fact that european level in women is a bit lower than in men doesn't change this fact.

• The main reasoning for this tournament is to make sure that the Japanese federation and television networks are part of the FIVB program every year. Actually this one is second on the list. :win:

The real reason is like Fabio said, it is to have a single "major" tournament every year in the four year cycle.
    1st Year, Grand Champions Cup
    2nd Year, World Championships
    3rd Year, World Cup
    4th Year, Olympics

I would say that this tournament is not as important as the other three.

• Any FIVB tournament is more important than any CEV tournament.
    Kosheleva and Larson are playing because they want to, they are not being required or forced, they could just choose not to play if wish, Adenizia for example decided not to play this tournament.

ECH is that important? more than half of the teams does not even belong in GP group 1 (Germany,Poland,Hungary,Croatia,Bulgaria,C.Republic,Arzebaijan.. While some does not even belong in Group 3 such as Georgia,Belarus,Ukraine).

I wish Serbia was in Japan playing against the actual best teams in the world, instead of playing ECH against all these mediocre teams mentioned above.

I really don't think so. If you asked the European players which competition they would rather win I bet they would all say ECH. This competition is basically a glorified exhibition. Sure, the teams are stronger on average in this competition than the ECH but that doesn't mean it is considered more valuable. There are already 4 FIVB competitions that are far more valuable than WGCC

• this tournament is important to me because it's going to be a very very rare opportunity to see a Japanese team play in HD with intelligent english commentary -- if Clayton Lucas shows up like he said he was going to. That didn't even happen at the Rio Olympics.

Of course, as with most things FIVB, a lot could go wrong with this scenario to crush my dreams.

• Any FIVB tournament is more important than any CEV tournament.
    Kosheleva and Larson are playing because they want to, they are not required or forced to play, they could just choose not to play if they wish, Adenizia for example decided not to play this tournament.

No European players would dare to play this meaningless tournament over ECH. ECH is obviously the most entertaining tournament for Euro volley fans, which is not your case (I saw you are from South America, right?) but not only due to that, also for players, ECH is way more important.

This tournament seems way too exhausting as players gotta move to another different city after having played 2-3 games. Besides, Do teams get FIVB ranking points? They don't, do they? :rolleyes:
    The first thing crossing my mind when it comes to Japan being host is the innocently childish sounds the fans make (no offense of course).

• And if Japanese volleyball federation and FIVB want to hold a competitive and entertaining tournament, why the heck they invited Korea? They could have invited Serbia for instance, which is supposedly the biggest candidate to win any Euro competitions, or Dominican Republic if they want it to be more exotic and fair since both Japan and China belong to Asia.

I just think that there are way too many tournaments during the summer and it absolutely causes lots of bad injuries, WGP is actually pretty bad when we talk about traveling distance. Players get worn out and easily get injured afterwards. In my point of view they should consider decreasing some :rolleyes:

• And if Japanese volleyball federation and FIVB want to hold a competitive and entertaining tournament, why the heck they invited Korea? They could have invited Serbia for instance, which is supposedly the biggest candidate to win any Euro competitions, or Dominican Republic if they want it to be more exotic and fair since both Japan and China belong to Asia.

Congratulations on being today's recipient of theforum's Racist User title!

• Welp, I guess exotic could mean differently, I mean USA is the only country from Northern America so it'd be wiser and more international to invite some other in stead of another Asian team. I don't mean their skin color or anything. :teach:

• This tournament seems way too exhausting as players gotta move to another different city after having played 2-3 games. Besides, Do teams get FIVB ranking points? They don't, do they? :rolleyes:
    The first thing crossing my mind when it comes to Japan being host is the innocently childish sounds the fans make (no offense of course).

They don`t get ranking points. But sounds like they don`t get FIVB points in the ECH either.

They should have invited Serbia over Korea. But also Serbia should be there over Russia as well, Serbia is ranked #3 in the World ahead of Russia.

I just think that there are way too many tournaments during the summer and it absolutely causes lots of bad injuries, WGP is actually pretty bad when we talk about traveling distance. Players get worn out and easily get injured afterwards. In my point of view they should consider decreasing some :rolleyes:

I understand you wish there were less tournaments. But then why teams are playing a lot of friendly games on the top of all these tournaments?

Brazil for example played 2 against Poland/D.Republic/USA.

Serbia played a few against Bulgaria, they will be playing a few against Turkey.

Turkey just played with Germany. And so on and on....

there were many friendly games before the GP/

If all these tournaments were too much and causes a lot of injuries, why are they choosing to play even more with friendly games?

• If you lumped all the friendly games in the world then you might have a false belief that every team in the world are having friendly games with every team. :whistle:

Honestly training is even harder than actual and official matches. Friendly matches are even less so considering it is a controlled event. Are we now going to ban training because you can get an injury from taking part with it? :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• ECH is simply the best and most-balanced NT competition aside from the major FIVB tournaments Olympics, World Championship and World Cup. Despite they can no more gain FIVB world ranking points there, this is one of the primary tournaments for any European NT and always interesting, because of the many good teams in Europe. Maybe you can't imagine this in NORCECA, South America and even Asia (not to mention the lousy African federation, sorry), because there are too few good teams to make the continental championships really interesting, this difference is not only quantitative, it becomes a qualitative difference. In NORCECA USA wins all the time with nearly no competition, in South America it is the same with Brazil and even in Asia, the second best continental zone after CEV, it is essentially a competition of China vs. Japan with some contributions by South Korea and Thailand. Those are no match for EC.

• How could you compare friendly matches to actual international competitions? :white: A friendly match is literally in order to check players physical conditions, maybe team cooperations, not more than that. That's why I find it pathetic when some users here go crazy and act like drama queens based on friendly matches.

I totally agree with the user above, playing a tournament is grueling, but training and getting ready for it is another. In every sport, regardless of anything players tend to get injured a lot easily during the practice.

You don't seem to be aware of the fact that you get European points by playing ECH :roll: