Montreux Volley Masters 2017 - 6-11.06.2017

• Montreux needs a taller stadium if they want to be Big League. That business of losing a point if the ball hits the ceiling isn't cool.

• Montreux needs a taller stadium if they want to be Big League. That business of losing a point if the ball hits the ceiling isn't cool.

That stadium is an Omnisports venue, that's why its ceiling was not designed to be high enough (for volleyball).

But for this tournament to live up to the reputation and history of the Montreux Volley Masters, the organizer also needs to do more like deploying the Challenge System and using better referees. But I do doubt Montreux city/town does has more proper stadium to host this tournament.

In some brief appreciation ceremony to thank the organizer or the organization behind this tournament involving three senior ladies, of grandma ages (can't recall exactly whether it's done during the semifinals or the last day), I heard some casual remark there about their hope that the Montreux Volley Masters can be kept carrying on in the future.... not sure what did that remark mean actually, or just a formality expression of some kind of good wish, or the tournament starts to feel the pinch of economy & financial pressure as happens in many real life aspects.

Well, let's hope that the tournament will still last for long time to come :D but unless the OC takes care about the Challenge System and referee quality issues, I will regard it as just some "fun party" (not that kind of a serious tournament to reckon) whereas the young and less inexperienced players having chance for some show time...

Quoted once again, these lines by Wiki best describe the very nature of this tournament!

The Montreux Volley Masters, founded as the Coupe des Nations, later changed to BCV Volley Cup between 1990 and 1996, and to its current name in 1998 is an international invitational tournament for national teams in women's volleyball hosted by the Swiss Volley. Held annually in Montreux, Switzerland since 1984, it is the tournament that opens the international season for national teams.

The main objective of this competition is to work as a preparation for more important and prestigious volleyball tournaments organized by the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB), such as the World Grand Prix, the World Championship, the World Cup and the Olympic Games. Many national teams use the tournament as a way of giving experience and international baggage to young players and, as a result, countries are often represented by their underage national teams.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• did you guys see this amazing shot by drussyla around 22:45 here?????

http://www.laola1.tv/en-int/video/2017-0…land-brazil-len

She played many years in beach volleyball that's why she has these amazing shots. Later she decided to focus on indoor volleyball.

• i have seen pri rivera take those shots as well.

overall dru is not a big hitter, she got blocked so much, and hit out a lot. maybe that's why she was replaced by rosamaria later.

surprised at how much THA struggled with reception there. that really put them at a disadvantage in montreux.

• Next year's edition will take place from 4-9 September. Quite an unusual date for Montreux, but with the domestic and international calendars growing more and more it seems to be difficult to fit yet another tournament in for many teams :S

• Thailand NT declined the invitation for next year already because there has a lot of tournaments in that period.

Brazil and China have agreed to participate in Montreux Volley Masters 2018 though they might be Team B or U-series.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Next year's edition will take place from 4-9 September. Quite an unusual date for Montreux, but with the domestic and international calendars growing more and more it seems to be difficult to fit yet another tournament in for many teams

Unusual indeed. I hope they'll be able to fill the slate so close to the World Champs...

• After Brazil and China, the host confirmed Russia, Italy, Turkey, Poland and Cameroon as participants. I assume the 8th team will be Switzerland.

Pretty good field overall except for the host team and Cameroon, but oh well :roll: