2017 AVC Senior Women's Championship (Philippines/Manila, Aug 9-17, 2017)

• It's also on the videostream site.

About 12 people in the stadium watching it

• Seems like Japan has about 10 or more serving aces. This China team doesn't receive very well. It makes me sad when the coach takes a player out of the game for a receiving error. The girls always leave with a smile, though.

• The third set is already half-finished and it is only now that I realized that Erika Araki is playing. This Chinese team seems to be playing the conventional Asian style game of really varied up attack patterns. Kind of hoping to see some double slide attacks a la-Zhou Su Hong and Liu Ya Nan, but the Chinese opp is a lefty. The ghost of Yuan X Y is upon this team--I hear some screeching, but I understand she's in China.

• It was nice to see Erika playing again. Seems in good shape for an oldie.

China came alive in the third set, serving a couple aces, Japan failing on the receive, but couldn't pull off a set win. I would have been disappointed in Japan if they did.

Who are the players on this China squad we should be noticing? Number 6 and number 9 looked ... uhm ... mature. Cai and Jin, was it?

• You don't believe the game took place? As of now, only an article is available: http://asianvolleyball.net/201…ismantling-australia-3-0/
    Their next match will be against China, and they'll play at the main stadium. I think we can expect more photos, stats and even livestream videos of it.

I looked at one of the "Daily Bulletins" from the avc.net site and indeed matches played in the smaller stadium are not televised, so no hope for a stream or even a later upload. I'm noticing today there are a few uploads of previous matches, mostly Thai, some Philippines. The Thai v Iran match is in 1080HD, much better than that awful betting site stream. That means it must have been captured from broadcast. I imagine part of this sharing is due to softer restrictions against doing it from the broadcasters but it's also a signal to me about the enthusiasm of the fans. They want to share and support. Color me a romantic idealist but I think this helps the team. Japan is stupid for being so nonsensically greedy on the one hand and so silly/sad on the other for saying they want to show the world they love volleyball the most, when by the "world" they mean "Japan". But that's Japan. So Insular.

• after first two rounds, the top 7 teams advancing the play-offs are confirmed as Philippines, Vietnam, Japan, Thailand, Korea, Taipei, Kazakhstan.
    the last spot will be becided between China and Australia this afternoon.

1-8 positions
    PO E: Korea, Vietnam, Kazakhstan, Philippines
    PO F: Thailand, Japan, Taipei, China/Australia

9-14 positions:
    PO G: Hongkong, New Zealand, Srilanka
    PO H: Maldives, Iran, China/Australia

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Chinese swept Volleyroos in straight sets of 25-13, 25-8, 25-9 to qualify in 1-8 playoffs.
    Aussies goes down in 9-14 playoffs.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• I'm surprised the Chinese C team is still alive. Honestly, I never though the team was able to beat the Australian NT. Do someone has a replay link?

• ^ I'm not surprised by Australia's loss, though. They have a weak floor defense and they are not (yet) used to the scrappy volleyball of East Asia. Their patience will be (and has been) severely tested. I hope they will be able to send representatives to the next Asian Club Championships so that they can improve.

Incidentally, the FIBA Asia Cup (men's basketball) is being played in Beirut, Lebanon consecutively now. I wonder if anyone here is watching. :P

• Didn't know Australia is this bad. Must be a B team or less. Now China has a chance to go to semis as long as they avoid Korea in quarterfinals.

• Yeah, China will certainly avoid Korea. It is the Philippines that Korea will play in the quarters.

Philippines won't be playing Korea since they are in the same pool. If they finish 3rd or 4th, will likely play Thailand or Japan in quarterfinals.

• I'll be surprise if the Japanese don't win this championship..even without some main players,they looked formidable. China 's treating this as an unimportant event by sending a weak team. Is this another " Discover hidden talents " exercise for them? Maybe the hosts will surprise everyone..:-)

• I'll be surprise if the Japanese don't win this championship..even without some main players,they looked formidable. China 's treating this as an unimportant event by sending a weak team. Is this another " Discover hidden talents " exercise for them? Maybe the hosts will surprise everyone..:-)

I'll be surprise if the Japanese don't win this championship..even without some main players,they looked formidable. China 's treating this as an unimportant event by sending a weak team. Is this another " Discover hidden talents " exercise for them? Maybe the hosts will surprise everyone..:-)

I had exactly the same thought back in 2013 when Japan faced Thailand in finale and guess what, Japan with Kimura, Nagaoka, Risa etc did lose, 3 set to none, ultimately.

• I don't think that the host country will make a surprise but they are improving fast. The last time that they faced Kazakhstan it was a lop sided match, last night it was a close fight. They could've stolen a set or two if not for their errors.

With the sudden surge of popularity of volleyball in the Philippines in five years time they could replace Kazakhstan as the fifth place in the Asian powerhouse ranking. This is possible if they will continue with their program because they have lots of talented girls just needing international exposure to higher level of game.

I'll be surprise if the Japanese don't win this championship..even without some main players,they looked formidable. China 's treating this as an unimportant event by sending a weak team. Is this another " Discover hidden talents " exercise for them? Maybe the hosts will surprise everyone

• Thailand 3-2 China Team E [25-22,22-25,25-16,23-25,15-12]
    Only in Set 3, Thailand NT shows more advantage than this China NT.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan