2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's Nations League

• Still no official announcement from the FIVB, but there's a Wikipedia article about it with the pool composition and the schedule. It's in line with what the Russian Volleyball Federation had published earlier about the schedule of the Russian team, so I think it's trustworthy.

As we can see, China is hosting a tournament in 4 out of 5 weeks. :down: It's really unfair if you consider how much travel it's going to be involved for most of the other teams. For example, the South Korean itinerary in the last 3 weeks - Netherlands, Thailand, Argentina - is just brutal.
    Also, wasn't every team supposed to host at least one pool? I don't see Belgium among the hosts.

Anyway, 15 games within a month, all over the world. We'll see how it goes.

• Every core teams have to host at least 1 pool. The FIVB has told since the first news of VNL published.

I think China host 6 pools in both men's and women's help the competition go well. Because, many women teams avoid to host the WGP, like DOM SRB KOR. Three of them rarely host the competition. Actually, Hong Kong and Macau bid as their own national federation.

Moreover, some countries participate in both men's and women's host only 1 pool each. The pressure go to countries which qualifed only 1 gender. Like, France and Bulgaria (even it's not a core teams) in men, Netherlands and Thailand in women.

The men's tournament has many teams interest to be hosts. As you can see in the wikipedia page, the women's tournament still not complete.

For WGP, you just have to find 22 pool hosts from 28 teams. It is easier to find 20 pool hosts from 16 teams in VNL. I think that is why the tournament guarantine core teams status.

I also think that's why FIVB give core teams status for China and Japan in men's. Germany was saved from group3 WL instead Slovenia, too. Argentina women as well.

So, please don't blame China for too many hosting. Should blame the country avoid hosting. I haven't seen which country would host unless China.

Final probably Bari, Italy or Nangjing, China.

• Both Turkey (male team is not joining) and Poland love hosting such tournaments and still they get only one hosting while both Thailand and Netherlands also are hosting twice. :what: Indeed I am surprised that JPN is hosting only once :white:

I still can't see how players will survive playing 15 games in 5 weeks + finals and so much traveling :aww:

• It is a good tournament to test out young players potential. It's only bad for fans because teams might not send their A teams at all. Going to suck for players stamina for sure.

• A few days ago, the wikipedia page had Italy as the finals host, but now I see it's not there anymore.

• A few days ago, the wikipedia page had Italy as the finals host, but now I see it's not there anymore.

It is a rumor that the finals host stays in Nanjing. No one proves it now.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Dominican Rep. is not a host so far too, however they can still have a tournament in week 5.

Wałbrzych, Poland will be the host of tournament in week 5. That means Poland will host 2 pools.

• There is a reason that there is a complete roster of players listed for the tournament. Coaches will give some players a break during one of the weekends. One of the complaints with the World League and World Grand Prix was that you couldn't see all of the stars. With six weeks of travel all across the planet, you can't have all of the stars make each trip. That is why the FIVB now forces teams to release lists of players for each week of matches.

Coaches will want to test their younger players in this tournament as well.

As for Japan only hosting once, well they are hosting the World Championships, so it may make sense to only have to prep one site, instead of the others for the World Championships.

• Tickets will be expensive.

• In six weeks, the competition starts...and there is not even a website yet ....??

:call: :call: :call:

• In six weeks, the competition starts...and there is not even a website yet ....??

:call: :call: :call:

There is one linked on FIVB calendar site, but when I try to access it it tells me that I don't have permission to access it :aww:
    http://www.volleyball.world/vnl

However, I agree with what you mean. FIVB is doing a rather poor job. And the competition is waaaaay too close to club team season, some teams will have just 2 weeks to prepare for it and surely a lot of players will be resting. I prefered the old WGP.

• Japan,China(without Zhu though) and Korea have already finished league season. It's just a matter of timing. FIVB wants the other teams to send in their Team Bs or unadapted Team As which will make it easier for those countries to defeat teams/players whose domestic league playoffs are still not over. Money talks again for FIVB. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• http://www.volleychina.org/b/2018/0418/4635.html

Although the foreign media is welcome, the page is still only in Chinese language. :(

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Of course, for FIVB this is all about business, nothing else. The core teams were selected due to this criterion, by far not always respecting results of the last World Grand Prix.

• Does anyone know what is the maximum number of players to be in the wide roster? Is it 26 or 21?