You are not logged in.

world volleyball coaches show 2018 header

Dear visitor, welcome to Inside VolleyCountry. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Phil

Professional

• "Phil" is male

Favourite Team: Vakıfbank - Modena - RC Cannes

Favourite Players: Chen Wan Ting, Nootsara Tomkom, Maja Ognjenović, Neslihan Demir, Erika Coimbra, Erika Araki, Piyanut Pannoy

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 4:32pm

According to height, Sweden should follow Haak's footsteps and step up

Yes, look at the swedish girls who are playing in European Silver league. They are really tall and young. If they will play together the next 10 year (the oldest player is libero who's 25 y.o.) they might achieve some good results.

JoanaBG

Professional

• "JoanaBG" is female
  • "JoanaBG" started this thread

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 4:33pm

I would have thought tennis is hugely popular as well, no? For such a small country to have 3 different female world number 1s as well as one of the greatest of all-time men (Djokovic) and women (Seles) is truly remarkable.

It's actually not, and certainly wasn't at the time Đoković and the gang were starting out. There's been a tennis boom a sort since, but that sport is still way too expensive for most people to pick it up. I don't think there's any rational explanation as to how we got to have so many great players, at the same time no less. And Ivanović and Janković were hideously underappreciated while they were on top, but that's another story.

Sisko95

Professional

• "Sisko95" is male

Favourite Players: Ognjenovic, Brakocevic, Blagojevic, Boskovic, Skowronska, Werblinska, Eda, Dani Lins, Fabiana, Gamze, Neslihan, Babeshina, Sawicka, Tomkom, Castillo, Kim, Sloetjes

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 4:45pm

I would have thought tennis is hugely popular as well, no? For such a small country to have 3 different female world number 1s as well as one of the greatest of all-time men (Djokovic) and women (Seles) is truly remarkable.

It's actually not, and certainly wasn't at the time Đoković and the gang were starting out. There's been a tennis boom a sort since, but that sport is still way too expensive for most people to pick it up. I don't think there's any rational explanation as to how we got to have so many great players, at the same time no less. And Ivanović and Janković were hideously underappreciated while they were on top, but that's another story.
Ah, interesting. Yes it’s still very much seen as an upper class sort of sport here as well due to the expenses despite Andy Murray’s success.

Yes, Ivanovic and Jankovic were supposedly failure no. 1s, whatever that means :lol:

Sorry about the off-topic guys, I know this isn’t inside.tenniscountry.com.

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 6:02pm

They are all competitive, they are all desperate to win, they all take winning volleyball matches very seriously and they will be angry with players who are not playing to the level they expect from them that’s true but it doesn’t make them unpleasant people, remember we only really see one side of them.

I appreciate a little pushback. I'm too grumpy, angry, frustrated about these guys. But the reigning World Champions and the current Olympic and World Cup Gold Medal Team also "take winning volleyball matches very seriously" and I've never seen their coaches "be angry with players who are not playing to the level they expect" or roll their eyes at them, or call them stupid (well, I guess I can't be sure about that one), or do a sign of the cross when a player missteps ... although they may have quieter (angry) ways of expressing frustration. And they may be massively disrespectful during practices that we don't see. But what you show during an internationally televised match is reflective of your personality as a human. I've seen the DOM coach reduce his players to tears!

There was talk here recently about teams trash talking. Honestly, I've never seen it, but who were those teams under discussion? Brazil, Serbia, Russia. We've seen that young Turkish player kick a ball at an opposing team and do a little shimmy shimmy coco bop.

Can you imagine someone trash talking Nootsara Tomkom?

You get what you bring.

Sisko95

Professional

• "Sisko95" is male

Favourite Players: Ognjenovic, Brakocevic, Blagojevic, Boskovic, Skowronska, Werblinska, Eda, Dani Lins, Fabiana, Gamze, Neslihan, Babeshina, Sawicka, Tomkom, Castillo, Kim, Sloetjes

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 6:30pm

Fair enough. I’m not for a second saying that being aggressive is the only way to win or that some of these coaches don’t go too far sometimes, just that there are different approaches that different coaches take that are all designed for the same result: winning. I totally understand if you don’t like some of these approaches I’m just saying try not to read too much into them.

And yes, in my experience of watching I’ve found Asian players are probably the least likely to get into fights with their opponents which I assume is due to cultural differences.

JoanaBG

Professional

• "JoanaBG" is female

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 7:21pm

Sitenoise, you should be happy you're experiencing this particular era of volleyball. :rolll:

(skip to about 2:25 for the good stuff)

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 7:39pm

she must have been Mireya Luis , what a gesture! :lol:

btw...i had heard that Carpol wasnt telling anything bad to his players during timeouts, his words were just incentive...is this true ?
meso mi ra se beno...

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 7:52pm

Sitenoise, you should be happy you're experiencing this particular era of volleyball.

Yikes!

Old school, I guess.

I apologize for my pot calling the kettle black action of offending folks who are fans of the gentlemen under discussion.

I'm as disapproving of the current snowflake movement as I am of anything else, but I live in a country with a president who thinks being a dick is a virtue. I'm overly-sensitive to the trickle down repercussions of that.

To reiterate something I wrote earlier: I'm keenly aware of the connection between teams I like to watch and their coaches I don't. :what:

:drink:

Janko

Intermediate

• "Janko" is male

Favourite Team: Serbia NT (F/M), Netherlands NT (F), Dominican Republic NT (F), Turkey NT (F), Eczacıbaşı, VakifBank

Favourite Players: Tijana Boskovic, Stefana Veljkovic, Jovana Brakocevic, Maja Ognjenovic, Milena Rasic, Katarina Lazovic, Kim Yeon-koung, Robin de Kruijf, Celeste Plak, Hande Baladin, Kübra Akman , Zehra Güneş, Cristina Chirichella, Brenda Castillo, Brayelin Martínez, Irina Fetisova

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 8:10pm

Russia is leading 1-0 in sets, and 16-10 in the second set, and Karpol is yelling like they are slowly cutting off his leg...

Perspective, eh?! :lol: :lol: ;)

Janko

Intermediate

• "Janko" is male

Favourite Team: Serbia NT (F/M), Netherlands NT (F), Dominican Republic NT (F), Turkey NT (F), Eczacıbaşı, VakifBank

Favourite Players: Tijana Boskovic, Stefana Veljkovic, Jovana Brakocevic, Maja Ognjenovic, Milena Rasic, Katarina Lazovic, Kim Yeon-koung, Robin de Kruijf, Celeste Plak, Hande Baladin, Kübra Akman , Zehra Güneş, Cristina Chirichella, Brenda Castillo, Brayelin Martínez, Irina Fetisova

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 8:26pm

It's like I wrote this post! Sign every word! :thumbup:

As for Ivanovic, she represented a very interesting (and revealing) test of collective psychology for us as a sport-viewing nation. In her case, a pathological tendency to only root for winners and to spit on those who until yesterday we idolised as soon as they stop winning, went to war against a nasty sexist habit of only appreciating female athletes in direct proportion to their attractiveness.

And in her case, the former psychological tendency won out, so even though she was world #1 and a grand slam winner, as well as breathtakingly cute/beautiful, she was pronounced a failure and regularly derided by an average sport fan here.

And I also apologise for this off-topic. :win:

JoanaBG

Professional

• "JoanaBG" is female

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 8:32pm

Brankica Mihajlović has been dealing with a knee injury for the last two weeks and it got worse in the match against Turkey. She's stayed in Belgrade to do some additional medical check-ups and get some more therapy and will be travelling to the Netherlands tomorrow. She'll be with the team, but it's not sure how much she'll play.

hudymk

Intermediate

• "hudymk" is male

Favourite Team: Polish teams

Favourite Players: too many

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 9:01pm

Korea the same roster as in 3 week?

Sidney

Master

Favourite Team: Brazil NT, USA NT, Ned NT, Rexona, Minas, Fenerbahce, Pomi, Bergamo

Favourite Players: Mihajlovic, Natália, Stevanovic, Piccinini, Ferretti, Larson, Gozde, Fabi, Lloyd.

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 9:09pm

Korea the same roster as in 3 week?

Kim is back

Sunday, June 3rd 2018, 11:52pm

Korea still has a chance for a spot in the f6..seems they want to push for it till the end..i see it that way..(KYK's coming back to the team)

Japan match will be tough and crucial for Turkey..they beat Italy's almost-team A..when they feel the game you have to show your best to beat them.Turkey is not a team that Japan couldnt beat..playing defense persistently could easily cause the inexperienced or inadequately-experienced players to make unforced errors more than its been so far.

Thailand hasnt been playing well..Turkey could beat team as long as they dont make a serious change in their game

i thought Turkey could beat Korea but now KYK is back..if Turkey makes more mistakes than expected/average then the match might progress in an undesirable direction, after,anything could happen
meso mi ra se beno...

Monday, June 4th 2018, 12:04am

Korea still has a chance for a spot in the f6..seems they want to push for it till the end..i see it that way..(KYK's coming back to the team

No, they don't. Kim will only play in Asia, so she won't be travelling to Argentina the next week.

Monday, June 4th 2018, 12:11am

Korea still has a chance for a spot in the f6..seems they want to push for it till the end..i see it that way..(KYK's coming back to the team

No, they don't. Kim will only play in Asia, so she won't be travelling to Argentina the next week.

ok thanks
meso mi ra se beno...

Monday, June 4th 2018, 12:33am

sitenoise, are you sure you have seen kwiek reducing his players to tears? i have never seen kwiek being an ass****e. maybe you are thinking of his assistant wagner pacheco, who coached the under-23 or under-21 teams, and who was a total dick, screaming at teenage girls like they committed murder?

karpol was insane but he always said he never cursed his players personally.

as for the fights involving cubans, you don't know the beginning of it. i have seen video of the cubans physically attacking a brazilian (male) assistant coach (maybe in the GP). also in the GP, two cubans got into a fistfight on the bench (maybe calderon and another girl?). those were the days...

terzic is a funny guy, but i haven't seen him be a total dick yet.

saishuu

Master

• "saishuu" is male

Favourite Team: BRA (M/F); Trentino, Minas Tênis Clube

Monday, June 4th 2018, 12:38am

as for the fights involving cubans, you don't know the beginning of it. i have seen video of the cubans physically attacking a brazilian (male) assistant coach (maybe in the GP). also in the GP, two cubans got into a fistfight on the bench (maybe calderon and another girl?). those were the days...
I think it was Ramirez? Might be wrong tho.
Gold - European Championship 2013 (M) Prediction Game
Bronze - World Championship 2014 (W) Prediction Game

Agguerro

Intermediate

• "Agguerro" is male

Favourite Team: Sada Cruzeiro, Brazil NT (M and F), China F team (2004-2008), Italy F team (2007), Chinese W team (current)

Favourite Players: Lucarelli, Cuban women's team 2000, Montano, Jacqueline, Fe Garay, Thaisa, Sheila, Fabiana, Logan Tom, Musavi, Sokolov, Fecundo Conte, Ngapeth, Del Core, Zhou Suhong, Anderson

Monday, June 4th 2018, 12:42am

It was Ramirez vs Calderon -cant remember which WGP, but during the time when Italy was so dominant with Aguerro...

Sidney

Master

Favourite Team: Brazil NT, USA NT, Ned NT, Rexona, Minas, Fenerbahce, Pomi, Bergamo

Favourite Players: Mihajlovic, Natália, Stevanovic, Piccinini, Ferretti, Larson, Gozde, Fabi, Lloyd.

Monday, June 4th 2018, 12:50am

It was Ramirez vs Calderon -cant remember which WGP, but during the time when Italy was so dominant with Aguerro...

GP 2008 in which Cuba was silver (lost to Brazil) and Italy was bronze.