2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's Nations League

• I thought FIVB was shooting stuff for like a video? What happened to that? I thought it would be realesed already since the matches are starting next week.

• I'm assuming based on the fact that controlled streaming technologies are designed to prevent downloading of content. You can't legitimately download any recent FIVB content that has broadcast rights sold. I assume that won't change.

But I could be wrong.

The way it worked for last year's WGP, for example ... you had to VPN to a different country just to watch it live. Then you had to quickly get a download from some alternate youtube in ... Pakistan, I believe.

Just find a good screen recorder software.

• From the interview of Lauren Carlini, USA will be playing an even faster tempo compared to the past year. The speed of the ball from setter to pin hitters should be less than a second. I find this kind of play too limiting since their reception isn't really that good.

And it limits the hitters' angles.. recipe for disaster

• I just checked the Turkish roster and Tugba got cut? ...Guidetti already gave up on her?

I think its because he said he will only let players play that play almost full time in their clubs. Others he will punish he said. And it seems true, with exception of Hande everyone has been playing on this current roster. I just wish he added Fatma to the roster.

I think/hope Mislina Kilic and Karakurt will surprise us this tournament.l

• China 21 player roster

Outside Hitter: Zhu Ting, Liu Xiaotong, Liu Yanhan, Duan Fang, Zhang Yichan
    Opposite: Zeng Chunlei, Yang Fangxu, Gong Xiangyu, Li Yingying
    Middle Blocker: Yan Ni, Yuan Xinyue, Gao Yi, Wang Yuanyuan, Yang Hanyu, Hi Mingyuan
    Setter: Ding Xia, Yao Di, Diao Linyu
    Libero: Lin Li, Wang Mengjie, Meng Zixuan

New Faces: Duan Fang, Zhang Yichan, Li YingYing, Yang Hanyu, Hu Mingyuan, Meng Zixuan

• Zhang changning is not in the list. I think zhuting does not need to play in several matches~~ :win:

• I am all over this VNL tournament. If you can't win with some combination of players that isn't just your best six, you don't have a team. This is very exciting for me. To see who has a team.

• German 21 players roster:

OPP: Louisa Lippmann (Firenze=Florenz), Kimberly Drewniok (Wiesbaden)

OH: Lena Stigrot (Dresden; also OPP), Maren Fromm (-Brinker; Budowlani Lodz/POL?), Jennifer Geerties (Schwerin?), Jana-Franziska Poll (Olympiacos Piraeus/GRE), Vanessa Agbortabi (Vislbiburg, also OPP), Hanna Orthmann (Monza/ITA, also OPP), Ivana Vanjak (Münster)

MB: Lisa Gründing (Aachen), Leonie Schwertmann (Vislbiburg), Jennifer Pettke (Vilsbiburg), Marie Schölzel (Schwerin), Barbara Wezorke (at last Dresden)

S: Denise Hanke (Schwerin), Pia Kästner (Stuttgart), Denise Imoudou (Aachen), Magdalena Gryka (Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski/POL)

L: Lenka Dürr (at last Targoviste/RUM), Anna Pogany (Sm'Aesch Pfeffingen/SUI->Bundesliga), Elisa Lohmann (Schwerin?)

• Considering the actual roster for first week of Belgium Yellow Tigers, the main weakness seems to be the middles: young and unexperienced Asterix players only. Also the libero I don't know; the OHs are okay IMHO (van Gestel, Herbotts and excellent receiver Guilliams), Kaja Grobelna is OPP as expected. Anyway, this will get hard not to go down to challenger competition for them I think.

http://www.topvolleybelgium.be…or-china-en-japan-gekend/

• I wonder how Poland will play.... with Wolosz I would be really sure it will look ok- Wolosz, Witkowska, Kakolewska, Medrzyk and Efimienko are rather experienced and good players plus Smarzek is in good shape. But without Wolosz, I'm not so sure about it- hope we can get 5-7 wins at least.

• And it limits the hitters' angles.. recipe for disaster

In 2014 the fast setting system was highly criticized in this forum and people even wanted Karch out of the NT. Then they won the WCH and 2 years later they won bronze at the OG, which are two very impressive achievements. People then started to love Glass's fast sets...

• In 2014 the fast setting system was highly criticized in this forum and people even wanted Karch out of the NT. Then they won the WCH and 2 years later they won bronze at the OG, which are two very impressive achievements. People then started to love Glass's fast sets...

In the 2014 they played slower than 2016.. In 2015 Karch realized that that speed doesn't work well, so they slowed it down a but, especially on bad passes.. I criticized it then, I'm doing the same now. And no, I'm not satisfied with the bronze, because with that roster, depth and talent, it could've been gold

I will support them whatsoever

• In the 2014 they played slower than 2016.. In 2015 Karch realized that that speed doesn't work well, so they slowed it down a but, especially on bad passes.. I criticized it then, I'm doing the same now. And no, I'm not satisfied with the bronze, because with that roster, depth and talent, it could've been gold

The system was not the problem in that semifinal... USA lost because of individual errors in important moments

• In 2014 the fast setting system was highly criticized in this forum and people even wanted Karch out of the NT. Then they won the WCH and 2 years later they won bronze at the OG, which are two very impressive achievements. People then started to love Glass's fast sets...

I frequent some American-centred volleyball sites. Trust me, most American volleyball fans are unhappy with Karch and his coaching (though even more due to not inviting Hooker and Tom, and to a lesser extent, Megan Hodge and Nicole Fawcett).

And of course, vast majority of them view anything less than gold as failure, so...

• In the 2014 they played slower than 2016.. In 2015 Karch realized that that speed doesn't work well, so they slowed it down a but, especially on bad passes.. I criticized it then, I'm doing the same now. And no, I'm not satisfied with the bronze, because with that roster, depth and talent, it could've been gold

It is very hard to perform at the highest level when players are in great great pressure. I see too many errors in the semifinal of olympics 2016 from usa team! They need more experience! :teach:

• I don’t think Tom would have been too much help in the past few years, what I don’t like about that situation was not that she wasn’t picked but the story that Karch treated her with absolutely zero respect.

I think some of Karch’s coaching is stupid, e.g. bringing Thompson to the Olympics and his “deep breath” nonsense, but having delivered USA’s first WCH gold, I think he deserves some credit. They lost the OG semi, but would they if Foluke hadn’t got injured? And USA seem to be the best team at beating China in big tournaments (2014 WCH, 2015 WC, 2016 OG group stage), so maybe they could have done it again in the final.

We will see if this faster tempo works but I have my doubts.

• On talent alone the USA team is already top 5-6 range. This is due to the volume of players in college who continue to play professionally.

If people were complaining about last season's WGP finish then they have issues as USA Volleyball always looks at a four year cycle.

If Foluke doesn't get an injury in the semifinal in 2016, USA probably gets to the gold medal match against China.

Logan Tom had been on the national team for so long, to believe that she would have been a help in 2014 or 16 would be a cruel joke.

Coaches have to make the decisions in who they want on their team and how they want to play. Yes we can criticize them but when you have not won the World Championship before in the women's game, and he does that, you get some leeway from USA Volleyball.

I wrote this as Sisko95 wrote their comments, so I had not seen it.

• Many Americans idolise Hooker and Tom. To them, they are this paragon of invincibility, a universal solution to any and all problems. So it doesn't matter what exactly has been Tom's form in the past 5 years, in their eyes.

Even as late as last year, on volleytalk there wouldn't go by a week without someone saying: "If only Karch would invite Hooker and Tom" (or some variation thereof). Nevermind that Tom is in her mid-30s! :cheesy: