2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's Nations League

• Is Karch punishing Robinson for her poor performance yesterday? Or same as the OP situation where neither of the 2 liberos were good enough to go on?

Because the current 2 liberos are not ready for this level. They will need time.

Is it me or USA is not playing faster, rather slower than usual.. especially on the left

They are playing at a slower tempo but still fast quite fast compared to other teams.

• It's really unbelivable than a country as USA dont have better OPP than Drews and Murphy in spite of the huge number of players that play volleyball in USA and overseas either.

I second this. After Hooker, Lowe was a great potential but she opted to pursue her studies. Then they were stuck again. Murphy’s prime was not even close to Hooker’s. What’s up with Karch? The OP is a big mystery to fans as to the direction the USAV is thinking. Where are the NCAA alums? These non-NT are shining and racking up points elsewhere. EUR, hell even small Asian countries like Philippines and Indonesia...

• I think Kiraly would rather have someone like Zhu Ting or even Natalia and Kosheleva than another dominant opposite like Hooker.

In his system of strong receivers and great attacking middles, there's no need for a strong opposite unless she's a lefty like Lowe,Murphy and Drews. :lol:

Where are the NCAA alums? These non-NT are shining and racking up points elsewhere. EUR, hell even small Asian countries like Philippines and Indonesia...

Against 260cm blocks? Murphy would probably score 50 pts each game. :gone:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Obviously vs the Asians are not the main point. I heard they dig well to compensate for their height like JPN. Be less critical and give them some credits.

• Chiming in about the USA opposite situation...

To be fair, while the NCAA does produce excellent opposite hitters, they seldom play back court. Because of the college system's ridiculous 14 substitutions (or however many) per set rule, opposites are usually subbed out as soon as they rotate to serve. So, generally when these young, talented opposites hit the pro/national team market, they really don't have the skills to hop into the national team -- no defense, no serve, no major experience playing 6 rotations, etc. Furthermore, coaches on NCAA teams are less inclined to put their most talented players in the opposite position. Typically, the stars are 6 rotation outside hitters. I actually think this one of the most defining aspects of the US's game. With exception to Hooker, I can't remember a single tremendous opposite out of the US. Sure, Haneef-Park, Murphy, Lowe, Fawcett, and others all had their moments (IMO Fawcett more than the former names), but not the defining, exterminating threats you see arming Brazil, Serbia, China -- hell, even at points in the DR and Italy! The US just seems to use their opposite differently than these other top teams do.
    Enjoying these matches so far! I have been a delinquent fan this year and didn't follow the club season, so I feel extra pumped about seeing my favorite players again. It was especially thrilling to watch S. Korea against China. I haven't seen them play like that in years! They looked so well organized, competent, and happy! China is extraordinarily talented, but prone to bad days. I'm sure we'll see them back in top form in the coming weeks.

• NCAA is full of talented opposites. The real problem is their breathing waiting for good things to happen.

About the libero, this is the result of giving up on Hugglund, when she never had real chances both with club and NT. Wong-Orantes is good IMHO, but she has to improve very quickly.

• have not been able to follow all the matches but i finished DOM x KOR and watched DOM x BEL.

i wrote critical things about pena based on half of the match vs. KOR but to be fair to her, she really improved as the match went on. at first, she got blocked several times and couldn't play back row defense at all ... but she got much better, she was getting lots of kills and really scrambling in the back row. too bad they lost in the 5th to KOR.

BEL seems to be playing with a B team? i don't know any of them. it was a good match for both teams. herbots is the most impressive of the BEL players, she's very explosive and hits hard. she killed DOM in the 5th set (along with DOM errors).

but up to that set, DOM were very impressive and playing very well, with good cohesion and good defense leading to strong transition game and good counter-attacks. marte did well, she has good connection with valdez and jineiry. rodriguez started instead of gonzalez and she had some good kills and good defense as well. she has a strange arm swing to me but she can be effective.

eve as a sub OH in both matches is a good sub to stabilize passing but she cannot kill the ball. she got 0 kills in both matches. brayelin played well, it's amazing how such a big girl can move in the back row. fernandez is so good too.

peralta (her shirt says reyes?) apparently made her debut as a sub in the match against BEL, and got some good kills. DOM are good at attacking, it's all the other stuff they need to get better at...

• i guess fivb did away with numbered paddles for substitutions?

also they are allowing now 14 players on the floor, instead of 12?

and finally, thanks, fivb, for blocking all the matches ... i have to watch replays when i can find them, of poor quality and jerky video too...

is there a way to watch replays other than YT????

• That ball was in...it was a beautiful tip by Busa...and u could tell it was in by Amanda`s reaction... Because it was so close the computer guy was able to fix it by placing the ball out...and you could see by the shadow the ball was 100% in....