2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's Nations League

• I think he is just some random guy doing the video check... ...yuck He`s not even cute ....at least not my type.

yes, the ball touching the floor video review is new this time. but i don't think it's the hawk eye technology, that's only for ball in/out. the floor touch/pancake is a visual video replay, it seems.

btw who's that bearded hipster dude that does some of the video review? he's .... yummy.

• If Rasic is currently the best blocking MB, and Foluke currently the best attacking MB, was pre-injury Thaisa considered the best overall MB? Honorable mentions: Poljak, Eda, Furst and Fabiana if we count from London OG onwards..

i don't know poljak well enough or fürst at all...

i think juciely at her peak was a mighty blocker, she seems to have a high jump reach. and let's not forget pleumjit, only 180 cm, but a very good blocker.

i didn't know rasic is the top blocker in the world... adenizia might also be up there as well.

but yes, fabiana was certainly one of the top MBs of her generation. maybe one of the cubans as well, carrillo?

• what about your fav. players from Japanese league..are you happy with their perf. so far ?

I'm suicidal re: Japan's performance. :white:

Koga had one good game. Horikawa (OP) has had a couple good sets. Yuki Ishii has had some good digs and kills but overall is way sub-par. I'm confident Libero Kitoe Inoue has a hidden injury somewhere because she's playing at about 65% capacity, and she's backed up by two other Liberos who've never played at international level. I'm cool with MBs Iwasaka and Okumura.

Looking for someone or something to blame, I'm beginning to turn a little bit on Coach Nakada and her roster choices and her apparent disregard for defense, but I'm really coming down hard on Assistant Coach FurryHat whats-his-name. It so un-Japanese to mansplain at the girls every timeout, and it's got to be distracting to have someone yapping at you in a foreign language all the time. I used to love seeing the Japanese team at timeouts where Coach Manabe appeared as if he was intruding upon the girls. #respect

Japan is a mess. They have no focus, and their identity is MIA so far in this tournament. Their identity is defense, and defense is teamwork, bonding toward a common goal. Furryhat is interrupting that.

You asked! :rolll:

• agreed. and somehow I miss Kimura's presence on court. she has always been that calm queen that holds everyone together. missing those days where kimura, ebata, shinnabe were all on court. these 3 ladies played defense like no other trio i have ever seen in my life.

• I miss Kimura's presence on court. she has always been that calm queen that holds everyone together.

What's interesting to me ... if you pay close attention to MB Nana Iwasaka, she's got a lot of Saori's "big smile-this is fun-I love you all" group hug action going on. I can see why she's picked as captain. She's just not a wing spiker who gets camera time and big adrenaline jumping around. It's subtle.

I may have been mislead but I thought Koga was supposed to fill those old Saori shoes. I think she's capable but it sure ain't happening yet.

• What's interesting to me ... if you pay close attention to MB Nana Iwasaka, she's got a lot of Saori's "big smile-this is fun-I love you all" group hug action going on. I can see why she's picked as captain. She's just not a wing spiker who gets camera time and big adrenaline jumping around. It's subtle.

I may have been mislead but I thought Koga was supposed to fill those old Saori shoes. I think she's capable but it sure ain't happening yet.

i am still waiting that dominant player from Japan since Kimura left. Koga is on the right path. i hope she will get to develop more.

• I was gonna write that I don`t think Koga will get there as she`s 25 already.....but then I decided to check her age to make sure.....and she just turned 22 yesterday...Ok I guess there`s time still..

Hopefully Kurogo develops a bit quicker.....

• I was gonna write that I don`t think Koga will get there as she`s 25 already.....but then I decided to check her age to make sure.....and she just turned 22 yesterday...Ok I guess there`s time still..

this road to Tokyo will be her ultimate test. hopefully she can step up and be the new Kimura that Japan sorely missed.

Some players develop better at a later age. I'm sure most of us desperately cheer for players we like to develop at a younger age and be a beast and be winning titles and awards at early 20s, but sometimes it simply does not happen. Timing is not the same for everyone and it doesn't take away their talent and potential.

• about JPN: i remember in 2014 WCh sakoda was very impressive. not tall but she could hit well from back court. too bad she didn't last in the NT.

yes. saori sakoda. i remember her. her jump height is crazy for someone as petite as her. her back line attack was unstoppable. and when Japan play that weird rotation with her playing in the middle, she ruined a lot of the opponent's tempo.

• so far drussyla is a good sub in attacking but her passing is suffering a lot...

is monique such a good server? she came in for bia but i don't think her serve is particularly good. but i guess those subs are done also for defense.

so far drussyla is a good sub in attacking but her passing is suffering a lot...

is monique such a good server? she came in for bia but i don't think her serve is particularly good. but i guess those subs are done also for defense.

so far drussyla is a good sub in attacking but her passing is suffering a lot...

Drussyla is a good server/blocker/attacker

• Drussyla has so much help from her days playing beach volleyball. That is why her tips and attacking are so wonderful to watch at times. She knows how to send those balls to the hardest part of the court for the defender to reach.

I think drussyla’s 8 points is from 17-25!!!!

• It's weird though, I would most often see players who move from the sand to indoor to have better floor defense, considering the skillset demands of beach volleyball. But it's true, often not said but Drussyla has big potential.

Someone was asking earlier if Thaisa was the top MB at some point. Yes she was, and I think most of us here would agree that her best moments came in post London 2012 up until her injury before Rio. Such a shame, she was so dominant in both attack and block - her serves, actually her whole game was the best at that time. She even has a backrow attack for cripes sake.

Right now, I'm seeing Akinradewo or De Kruijf as the better attacking MBs, Yuan from China has potential to get there. Best blocking MB is still Rasic. Personally, I think the most balanced MB right now is Erdem from Turkey.