2018 FIVB Volleyball Women's Nations League

• i couldnt watch Serbia vs. Turkey match fluently due to the quality of stream
    i found a replay of it which i shared at multimedia thread of VNL
    Congrats to Tijana once again .i couldnt get a lot from her performance bcz the stream was freezing on and on.now i see she decided the result with her wonderful game

i wish Guidetti had added OH Tuğba Şenoğlu and setter Ezgi Dilik to the wide roster.Tuğba could have played instead of Meliha and Şeyma in some moments and matches
    i dont want to judge setter Aslıhan Kılıç perf. with that short time she stayed on the court but Ezgi Dilik was ready to play..her only disadv. is her height

• Yeah, Ezgi is very short, unfortunately. Too bad, since it does constitute a disadvantage and she has some talent. It would be a shame for that talent to go to waste.

Btw, I see I forgot to say how amazed I was (again) by Zehra's performance! She seems to progress every day this summer! Congrats Turkish posters, you have already found a worthy heir to Eda Erdem! :drink:

• There were some users last year, after Ebrar’s performance in U23, claiming Ebrar is the perfect OPP this team needs and Gui should invite her immedialtely to the team just 1 week before ECH. Hope they see that she needs time to develep a lot. I am not saying special she won’t be a good player, I am just saying don’t judge a player based on a young team performance or one match. Until now, she showed nothing and we see that she has to play more in a senior level. Hope she gets more time to play in the next weeks and prove herself. I really would love to see her performing in a high level.

• Germany - Belgium wil be nice. :D

this doesnt make sense to me. if the team coming from the Challenger round loses to the last of VNL this would mean all of its struggle,wins,fights go to trash can..
    this two shouldnt play a last match to determine which to compete in VNL next season.. the winner of Challenger round should directly be able to compete in VNL after it is done

I have not invented this mode, which contradicts "best" (?) practice from previous World Grand Prix indeed. But the way the FIVB acts can be criticed in many way...

• There were some users last year, after Ebrar’s performance in U23, claiming Ebrar is the perfect OPP this team needs and Gui should invite her immedialtely to the team just 1 week before ECH. Hope they see that she needs time to develep a lot. I am not saying special she won’t be a good player, I am just saying don’t judge a player based on a young team performance or one match. Until now, she showed nothing and we see that she has to play more in a senior level. Hope she gets more time to play in the next weeks and prove herself. I really would love to see her performing in a high level.

I agree completely

• Color me harsh but I don't have much sympathy for the whiners that think playing three games of Volleyball a week for six or seven weeks is abusive. If you don't think your team can handle it, pass on it. Or manage things accordingly, as some teams are doing. I know it impacts the all important Continental Euro leagues, and there are at least one or two other international tournaments each year, but it is what it is. It doesn't seem outrageous to me. Choose your priorities. Try telling a coal miner or an Amazon warehouse grunt how grueling it is flying around the world a couple times a week for a while. It's the job, the life, that some have chosen, knowing what it involves.

Maybe if enough top teams back out FIVB will re-evaluate.

The Serbia coach and the Turkish dude are just professional whiners. Brazil too, as far as I can tell. Just watch them some time. It's built into their personalities. It's what they do. They take it out on their players and the referees, and anybody else that shows up. I'm not impressed.

• They can't all be perfect like the Japanese.

That's silly and unfair, trying to make it about me. You've obviously not read much of what I write about the Japanese Team.

• The Serbia coach and the Turkish dude are just professional whiners. Brazil too, as far as I can tell. Just watch them some time. It's built into their personalities. It's what they do. They take it out on their players and the referees, and anybody else that shows up. I'm not impressed.

ZRG (Brazil's coach) is surprisingly quite chill this year. :lol: Did you ever watch Bernardinho? You'd be terrified.

• Did you ever watch Bernardinho? You'd be terrified.

I had to google him. I've seen him. I watched some Brazil League games this past season. To be honest, if he was one of those characters, I'd just turn it off.

To be clear, I'm not saying Whiplash style motivation isn't effective. I'm saying I don't want to watch it.

Topically speaking ... another thing I'm enjoying about this VNL (at least the streams I'm watching) is that they show very little, or at least a lot less, of the time-out huddles. More importantly, the cameras seem less prone to dramatic reaction shots of the coach after an unsuccessful play. I understand that the people in charge of these things assume/know that most viewers like the drama. Such that it is. Watching a Dutch game at Rio was a grueling chore for me. I'm happy they changed coaches because I like watching that team. If only Brazil and Serbia would follow suit. They are my next favored teams.

• I had to google him. I've seen him. I watched some Brazil League games this past season. To be honest, if he was one of those characters, I'd just turn it off.

To be clear, I'm not saying Whiplash style motivation isn't effective. I'm saying I don't want to watch it.

Topically speaking ... another thing I'm enjoying about this VNL (at least the streams I'm watching) is that they show very little, or at least a lot less, of the time-out huddles. More importantly, the cameras seem less prone to dramatic reaction shots of the coach after an unsuccessful play. I understand that the people in charge of these things assume/know that most viewers like the drama. Such that it is. Watching a Dutch game at Rio was a grueling chore for me. I'm happy they changed coaches because I like watching that team. If only Brazil and Serbia would follow suit. They are my next favored teams.

mostly not gonna happen tho. Coach Ze brought Brazilian women to their glory days up until today. he might be annoying at times, but he is one of the best coaches out there.

• Watching a Dutch game at Rio was a grueling chore for me. I'm happy they changed coaches because I like watching that team. If only Brazil and Serbia would follow suit. They are my next favored teams.

mostly not gonna happen tho. Coach Ze brought Brazilian women to their glory days up until today. he might be annoying at times, but he is one of the best coaches out there.

I get the connection between teams I like and their coaches I don't :D

Clearly, Brazil's coach, and Serbia's, and Gui, are successful coaches.

A couple of comments suggest Ze is mellowing. I recently mentioned that Japan's Assistant Coach seems to be blowing less hot air during timeouts. I wonder if it's that the cameras are simply showing them less.

I'm loving this VNL tournament. I wish the Thai matches from round 1 had English commentary. (At least the streams I found didn't. It was just crowd noise) This is one of the only things FIVB improved with the Tournament--English commentary ... and I know it's selfish because -- hey wait. Do Germans get German commentary for their broadcast? And other countries Serbia, Russia, etc. I know that Thailand are getting them with Thai commentary. Is the dearth of English commentary because USA never broadcasts Volleyball (beyond some USA games, maybe).

But now I'm spoiled. For the first two rounds the commentators were good--at least for the Japanese matches--this guy in Hong Kong is awful. He sounds like he's reading a spooky story to children.

• German commentaries can be expected for the final pool in Stuttgart aired on Sport1 - but they are underdogs against Olympic champions China, fourth best European team (and FIVB top ten team) Netherlands and the well doing young Turkish team of Guidetti at home (which is also in front of Germany in world ranking, despite only a bit).

• This Argentina team is cracking me up. Every time one of their players jumps into the air to attack a ball, there's an awkward moment where it looks like they pause to hope the ball is going to come close enough to swing at, and they ending up swinging like one of those swings-at-fake-balls middle-blockers have to do all the time.

• German commentaries can be expected for the final pool in Stuttgart aired on Sport1 - but they are underdogs against Olympic champions China, fourth best European team (and FIVB top ten team) Netherlands and the well doing young Turkish team of Guidetti at home (which is also in front of Germany in world ranking, despite only a bit).

So you're not getting German commentary on all the streams I'm watching from German sportdeutschland.tv? I guess about only half the games have English commentary and I've just been lucky it's covered all the Japanese matches. It's awfully nice of you folks to be broadcasting this tournament. And it's nice of FIVB to have hired a few English commentators. Not enough to cover all the matches.

I guess in the end, it's that if your national team is hosting and broadcasting on a local network, you'll have native language commentary. That makes sense. And it seems that a few countries are also broadcasting their team's matches for the whole tournament locally--China, Thailand, and I think Russia?--with native commentary. I'm a little slow on the uptake here, as an English only speaker without interest in Team USA and as a virgin to an international sport competition.

• Terzic's resistance to trying out Katarina Lazovic is really starting to get on my nerves! It's starting to look so ridiculous that I'm not even sure she will play if/when they send a B team to Week 5. :down: :wall:

• indeed!
    id like to watch Serbian young talents...we have watched only Milenkovic so far..i hope Terzic let Katarina Lazovic play at the 5th week
    even Buşa hasnt had much playing time so far..has she ?
    if he intends to give the younger players a chance then what about opposite Sara Lozo ?

how about the following lineup ?

Mirkovic - Lozo
    Milenkovic- Lazovic
    Popovic - Aleksic
    Popovic

btw..i know nothing about Lazovic and Lozo ...a little mention about them is appreciated

• sitenoise, if you knew the history of english commentating on fivb matches, you'd be glad to not understand what they are saying...

in years past, fivb hired the worst commentators, who knew nothing of what they were talking about. just watch the matches of the olympic qualifying tournament in JPN before rio... it's unlistenable.

and don't bring back the coverage of london olympics....

more recently clayton lucas wasn't bad though, he at least knew something about VB.

i catch whatever matches i can on YT and i'm getting used to all the commentators in russian, serbo-croatian, italian, turkish, thai or chinese... as long as there's sound from the arena, i don't care.