Mediterranean Games - Tarragona 2018

• well, it’s very unfortunate all the political issues, not to mention the war ... but also at least two bosnian players play for TUR, ismailoglu and matic (in the men’s team).

There's also Adis Lagumdžija on the men's team.

I guess those are Muslim? So they joined Turkey.

Well, at least judging by their names, Ismailoglu/Smajlović and Lagumdžija are, Matić probably not. But I believe it has much more to do with them being scouted and signed by Turkish clubs at a young age than with their religious beliefs.

• They have been playing in Turkish clubs since they were really young

Lagumdzija in GS, Matic in IBB and Smajloviç in Ilbank. They were not big names before naturalized as we did Natalia Hanikoğlu earlier

• Bosnia would have great NT if Boskovic, Smajlovic (Ismaioglu), Mihajlovic and Begic would play for them.

well, they would still be missing a good setter, 2 MBs, libero...

if i may be miss universe for a moment, i'd say it's my dream that BIH would have a unified olympic team in all sports of bosnyaks, croats and serbs. [but as we just saw in the FIFA WC (SRB x SWI), that's a dream 'cause of all the political/ethnic issues...]

does anyone know why the other boskovic sister decided to stay in BIH?

the same could be said of UKR -- they'd have a great team if rahimova (born in UZB but of ukrainian parents), natalya mammadova, samadova (she's from UKR, right?), not to mention rykhlyuk, would play for UKR team...

• [quote='Mimek','index.php?page=Thread&postID=371057#post371057']Bosnia would have great NT if Boskovic, Smajlovic (Ismaioglu), Mihajlovic and Begic would play for them.

if i may be miss universe for a moment, i'd say it's my dream that BIH would have a unified olympic team in all sports of bosnyaks, croats and serbs. [but as we just saw in the FIFA WC (SRB x SWI), that's a dream 'cause of all the political/ethnic issues...]
    Yeah, I just found out what Shaqiri and Xhaka's gestures meant after they'd scored the goal. I really don't like that. There's also Mario Gavranović and Haris Seferović who are both of Bosnian origin. Poor Serbia, they're defeated pratically by their own people. :cursing:

I know it's OFF-TOPIC, but I just felt like sharing my opinions about this.

• well, i wish it was easier to find results and rosters, and videos of this competition.

ALG losing easily to SLO? i remember ALG lost to GBR in the london 2012 olympics. i guess they haven't improved much all those years... either that or SLO is really good.

• Croatia beat France 3:1 (22:25, 25:19, 25:21, 25:19) Best scorer: Samanta Fabris 26 points (She played as OH)

In last match against Albania Samanta Fabris needed to scorer 23(66%attack) points in just 3sets to win. Croatia NT is very weak, next to Fabris We don't have no one. If you stop Fabris then We are over... :S

• So does Serbia/Bosnia/Croatia speaks the same language?? I assumed Serbia/Bosnia did but I had no idea about Croatia.

And I would assume Boskovic considers herself more a Bosnian than Serbian and she only picked to represent Serbia for obvious reasons as they have a much stronger NT? She probably lives in Bosnia? ...interesting that Dajana choose to represent Bosnia and not Serbia.

I guess Fabris could have been a "Serbian" if she wanted to???

Because Serbia/Bosnia/Croatia are all so small...they should just come together and become "1" country to represent when it comes down to sports. Same as Belgium/Netherlands.

I still find fascinating that how smaller countries can still compete against bigger countries such as China,USA,Brazil....even Russia/Japan are considered small if compared to them (based on population).

Yes, they are.
    The population of Bosnia and Herzegovina consists of Bosniaks (Bosnian Muslims), Serbs and Croats. Most Bosnian Serbs and Croats look up to Serbia and Croatia as their homeland rather than Bosnia. And the majority of Serbian and Croatian athletes from Bosnia would rather represent Serbia and Croatia if they have the opportunity to do so. It basically happens in every single sport.

• And I would assume Boskovic considers herself more a Bosnian than Serbian and she only picked to represent Serbia for obvious reasons as they have a much stronger NT? She probably lives in Bosnia? ...interesting that Dajana choose to represent Bosnia and not Serbia.

I'd say it's the other way around and her sister is playing for Bosnia because she's not being called up to Serbian NT.
    Tijana has stated many times before that representing Serbia has always been her dream and that getting Serbian passport was one of the happiest moments of her life.

I don't understand your question about Fabris. I guess in theory she could declare herself a Serbian and apply for Serbian citizenship, like basically every person in the world could, but she's not going to do that because she's not Serbian. Unlike Bošković, who is.

Serbian and Croatian are very similar languages, yes, almost 100% mutually intelligible. Before the break-up of former Yugoslavia, they used to be known as one language, Serbo-Croatian.

• Thanks for responding guys.... and yeah I did mention Fabris because if she had decided to play for Serbia she would have had much more success than playing for Croatia. She certainly would be Boskovic`s backup right now over Bjelica... and maybe even in Rio over Brakocevic.

• 4h Finals

Croatia 3-1 Portugal
    (26-24, 16-25, 28-26, 25-20)
    https://tarragona2018-reports.…-QFNL000400--_C73_v1..pdf

Turkey 3-1 Italy
    (22-25, 25-16, 25-16, 25-23)
    https://tarragona2018-reports.…-QFNL000300--_C73_v1..pdf

Slovenia 2-3 France
    (11-25, 25-18, 25-23, 16-25, 7-15)
    https://tarragona2018-reports.…-QFNL000200--_C73_v1..pdf

Greece 3-1 Spain
    (26-24, 18-25, 25-23, 28-26)
    https://tarragona2018-reports.…-QFNL000100--_C73_v1..pdf

Semifinals:
    GRE - FRA
    TUR - CRO

• Wow Croatia beat Turkey in semi finals 3:2. Even though it is Turkey C team ? Finally that this girls have done something.

• Final : Croatia - Greece 3:1 (25:16, 25:13, 17:25, 25:14)
    Best scorer of the match and MVP of competition: Samanta Fabris