CEV Champions League 2017

• New rule, this year, and no more "forced pairings". So yes, in principle a F4 with Conegliano and the 3 Turkish teams is possible.

It is possible but i don't think Cev will let that happen as having 3 Turkish teams and 1 Italian on F4 would be bad for TV rights, commercials etc. They wouldn't receive good money so i don't think they will let it happen.

I think/hope there will be exciting matches in play offs. Vakif, Vitra, Fener, Modena, Zurich and Moscow. All of them are powerfull and they all want to be go to F4.

Vitra might be better against Fener with their full roster but everything can happen.

Vakif is really good but Zurich is a good team, too.

Moscow would be favorite against Modena but Modena is not weak.

• it still can be worse, Iza on court

• And DABROWA GORNICZA disappoints like POLICE to no end: they were supposed to win both matches against Azerrail, but lost both. There seems to be indeed a CL illness by Polish teams... but Azerrail is correctly out of contention too, by the way.

• New rule, this year, and no more "forced pairings". So yes, in principle a F4 with Conegliano and the 3 Turkish teams is possible.

Yes, at least according to volleyball.it...

Quote from Umu11

It is possible but i don't think Cev will let that happen as having 3 Turkish teams and 1 Italian on F4 would be bad for TV rights, commercials etc. They wouldn't receive good money so i don't think they will let it happen.

How could they not let it happen? By "heating" some of the balls in the bowl just before the draw takes place? :whistle:

• lol at police chemik they were dismantled by modena if they wonna do anything in cl they have to get a new coach and change half the team and what is up with wolosz? is it me or does she really suck nowdays? modena didnt play anything special today they did have a very good blocking game

• CEV chooses who will plays against who? That is really not fair.
    It should be set before the competition begins, like Number 1 from Pool A vs 2nd from B. Number 1 from Pool B vs 2nd from C, and so on....

And I bet they will have the semi finals set for Conegliano to face the winner of Modena and (Moscow, If that is the case). Trying to make things easier for the Host to reach the final.

• I'm sure it is officially a "free draw." If there are no cameras or representatives from the clubs present then I guess no one would know if they rigged it

You can't just say A1 VS B2 etc from the start of the competition because at that time nobody knows who the F4 hosts will be or who will come through the groups. For example there is no A2 or C2 this year but the CEV couldn't have known that would happen from the start

• I'm sure it is officially a "free draw." If there are no cameras or representatives from the clubs present then I guess no one would know if they rigged it

You can't just say A1 VS B2 etc from the start of the competition because at that time nobody knows who the F4 hosts will be or who will come through the groups. For example there is no A2 or C2 this year but the CEV couldn't have known that would happen from the start

That is true, but still CEV could rank 6 teams reaching play-offs and match them based on serpentine system (1-6, 2-5 and 3rd one against 4th) I think that would have been the most logical one. The ranking of 6 teams are
    1-Fenerbahçe
    2-Vakıbank
    3-Dinamo
    4-Modena
    5-Volero
    6-Eczacıbaşı

Thus, the most fair draw would be: Fenerbahçe-Eczacıbaşı, Vakıfbank-Volero and Dinamo-Modena :whistle:

• My picks would be:

Fenerbehce vs Modena
    Vakifbank vs Volero
    Eczacibasi vs Dinamo

or any other Turkish vs non Turkish club teams lol.

• Your formula would be perfect. (CEV should really adopt it.)

Then for the semis I would do this...have the Host going against the highest ranked team coming into the semis. Let`s say Conegliano would face Femernahce if they win. But if Vitra (6) wins, Conegliano would face Vakfbank (2), and if Vakfibank looses to (5) Volero, Conegliano would face the winner of (3) Moscow or (4) Modena.

• i would like to see vakif,ecz and volero in final 4 so hopefully we get ecz-modena vakif-dinamo and volero-fener i would like to see a duel of 2 big opps brakocevic vs boskovic seeing how cev works i wouldnt be surprised to see modena getting the easiest opponent like it was done each year when it comes to italian teams and in this case it would be dinamo

• Moscow beat Volero twice, they are undefeated. This season Moscow is stronger than Volero.

So i think Modena vs Moscow would be fair because just like someone showed, Moscow is the 3rd best and Modena 4th best.

• getting the easiest opponent like it was done each year when it comes to italian teams

Stop bashing the Italian teams, please; it gets boring eventually :sleeping:
    I was the first to criticize the assignment of the F4 before the the pool-phases ended and I still think that it wasn't the right thing, but beside that I can't see why you have to blame other present and past Italians team.

I agree :)

Speaking of the sorting for the play offs – both male and female – I'm curious to understand if the 'random assignment' it's only for the play offs or also for the semis. Will the semi be decided by CEV, or the first sorting will also determine it?

• Your formula would be perfect. (CEV should really adopt it.)

Then for the semis I would do this...have the Host going against the highest ranked team coming into the semis. Let`s say Conegliano would face Femernahce if they win. But if Vitra (6) wins, Conegliano would face Vakfbank (2), and if Vakfibank looses to (5) Volero, Conegliano would face the winner of (3) Moscow or (4) Modena.

I agree that it looks like a great formula but it has a big handicap as well. Fenerbahce is ranked number 1 here and is supposed to play against the weakest of top 6 but that's not because Fenerbahce is actually the best among other 6, it is because they were lucky and they had very easy opponents in their group while Vakifbank had to play against 3 really strong teams. Same applies for Moscow and Zurich, it all makes the serpentine system questionnable unfortunately :white:

• I agree that it looks like a great formula but it has a big handicap as well

Yes it does, but it's probably still more faire than random sorting, especially considering that 2 teams first in their respective pool will have to face each other, since there are 4 teams 'first in the pool' and only 2 'best second' (in the male having more teams at least the firsts in the pools are sure to play vs a random second or third, if I got it right from 'Dal15al25').

Plus, the 'serpentina formula' would force the teams not only to be the first in their own pool, but also to have much points possible, which sometimes can avoid a insignificant last match (but I think this happen more in male CL, because all the firsts and seconds do pass for sure, so they often know their position in the pool quite early – or at least they know if they're qualified to the play off and that the only need 1/2 points to get the first place).

• i aint bashing italian teams u can check the facts for yourself last 8 years turkish team have been playing against each other allways every year and every year 1 italian team avoids all turkish teams and gets easiest opponents in final 8 i mean 1-2 times it can happen but every freaking year?and when they do play turkish teams they ussually have an italian team hosting the final 4 it is a joke it seems like there has to be 1 italian team in final 4 each year,moscow did beat volero both times but the games could of gotten other way imo volero is a better team

• Hello, Turkish team have been playing against each others because that was the previous rule ;)
    The same happened with the italian male teams, since we have 3 teams participating there.

Ps before last year it was since 2009 that an italian team didn't host the final 4, and that time the host only got the third spot ;)

• Speaking of the sorting for the play offs – both male and female – I'm curious to understand if the 'random assignment' it's only for the play offs or also for the semis. Will the semi be decided by CEV, or the first sorting will also determine it?

On this page, the CEV writes about the DoL for the playoff 6 phase, without mentioning any for the F4. So, my 2 cents: it will be a totally random series of pairings, and it will determine also those for the F4...

• both turkey and italy had 3 teams in cl to start with so what rule are u talking about? i just find it odd that each year italy teams get the weakest non turkish team to play against for final 4 and yes it was since 2009 first time italian teams get to host final 4 that doesnt explain how come every time there is a draw(no rules there) italian teams get the easiest no turkish team to fight against for final 4 like i said it can happen 1-2 times but every freaking year it is a joke i can tell u before 1 game is played in the start of a new cl season italian team is gonna be in final 4 it is all about money and sponsorship when it comes to cev so having 3 turkish team in final 4 is to much,so they pair it(draw )that 1 turkish team plays against each other if there was 4 turkish teams in cl u can bet your behind they gonna be drawn to play each other so only 2 goes forward,cev stinks like a rotten fish and it no longer matters who is really best but what gives most money or who has most influence,even if italian team finished third there were at least 2 or maybe more teams that were better then them but due to corrupt system they didnt get a chance to even be in final 4