CEV Champions League 2018

• Threat of boycotting the European Cups (i.e. the CL) by the Italian clubs: they attacked publicly both FIVB and CEV (and partly also the Italian federation) regarding playing schedules and slots in the CL. There are too many collisions of competitions regarding dates and too few berths for Italian teams - the last is as obvious as the first, considering their quality. Not explicitly mentioned were "leagues with better European cups ranking without being better" (meant are obviously Germany, but also Switzerland and the now giving up Azeri) and the fact, that no Italian team could get a free slot in CL (not even qualification), while the champions of Romania, Czech Republic and Serbia got fixed places in the groupphase.

Altogether, if negotiations with the mentioned federations doesn't result in acceptable changes for them, they would boycott next European Cups season 2018/2019.

Considering the importance of Italy in this sports, I'm sure, there will be negotiations, because this country is too important for both CEV and FIVB.

• An interesting press release by Asterix AVO BEVEREN (formerly KIELDRECHT) of Belgium: they have a new hall for this season, conforming to CL demands, want to give the many young players another set of demanding experiences and hope to make all of the team even more professional. So the hall may have been the main show stopper the last years, when they already qualified several times formerly to participate in CL, but didn't book it. Practically they should have no problem with Sliedrecht (NED) in the second (first pairing) qualification round, but have no chance in the third/final, when they will meet Imoco CONEGLIANO from Italian A1. But after that they will continue in CEV cup anyway, of course.

• According to head of Turkish Federation, Galatasaray already applied for hosting F4 in Istanbul!

Although I support GS, I don't like the idea. They did the same many years ago when they were in Champions League and it didnt work out well since they didnt play F6 round. However I guess both Vakifbank and GS will be in F4 anyway, so it won't be surprising if it is in Istanbul.

• According to head of Turkish Federation, Galatasaray already applied for hosting F4 in Istanbul!

Although I support GS, I don't like the idea. They did the same many years ago when they were in Champions League and it didnt work out well since they didnt play F6 round. However I guess both Vakifbank and GS will be in F4 anyway, so it won't be surprising if it is in Istanbul.

This seems indeed premature to me, but of course there will be enough (likely all three) Istanbul clubs in Playoff-6 to have good chances, that one gets the hosting right.

• This seems indeed premature to me, but of course there will be enough (likely all three) Istanbul clubs in Playoff-6 to have good chances, that one gets the hosting right.

That's what I thought too. It is too early to talk about it all but here is the interview with him: https://www.voleybolplus.com/2…inal-fouru-icin-basvurdu/ (unfortunately in Turkish).

However looking at squads, it will be a huge failure if GS doesnt make it to F6 this year.

• One of the three ridiculous feeble teams, which should not be accepted by CEV IMHO to play in this competition, has as first published its roster on CEV website: Sliedrecht (NED) to be found here http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…aspx?TeamID=10597&ID=1036 .

They have indeed 18 players entered like one of the big Istanbul clubs, but all of them have to be considered not to be up to this task and will likely not win any set in opening round against Asterix (BEL).

The other two extremely weak teams are Brcko from Bosnia-Herzegowina and Kfar Saba from Israel: even CEV cup would be too much for them IMHO.

• The other two extremely weak teams are Brcko from Bosnia-Herzegowina and Kfar Saba from Israel: even CEV cup would be too much for them IMHO.

Brcko is going to hire few foreigners. For example Henriette Koulla.

• O.o I'm shocked. I read somewhere that they signed with Henriette Koulla (setter from Cameroon) and some Belarusian players.

• laola1.tv is gone stream first matches of CL this season (17.10) Can't wait to watch Conegliano :D

• Kfar Saba might be better as expected, they collected some important foreign key players from Brazil and Russia and elsewhere alongside with her main OH Anna Veliky. Their friendly win against Bekescsabai (champion) from Hungary in three clear, straight sets was a surprise for me.

• Imoco easily beat Bekescsabai 3:0 and the best scorer was Kim Hill with 17 points (92% in attack 12/11 :super: )
    Samanta Fabris is still out and She was not with team in Hungary. Still no news about her. It is good that She injured left and not right arm but still She can't play.
    Thanks God Imoco still doesn't need her in the game...

• The game between Hapoel and Developres is quite interesting. A lot of drama :D

• Glad to see Sliedrecht win its home match :flower: (especially after what was written about them here in this thread).

Sorry about that, but I'm still convinced, that Asterix, obviously playing bad today, will easily win return match with three points and proceed to the next round.

By the way, our Dutch captain Deborah van Daelen confirmed my view, that the DELA league is rather feeble including Sliedrecht.

• Wow, Minsk wins tie-break in the end 13:15 in the hall of victories in Cannes, the home hall of the (formerly) famous RC Cannes. They have now a slight advantage for the return/home match in Belarus.

On the other hand, an easy away win of Maribor in Brcko in three.