You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Inside VolleyCountry. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male
  • "StefanS" started this thread

About me: Team Europa member of Allianz MTV Stuttgart

Favourite Team: Allianz MTV Stuttgart

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 6:58pm

CEV Cup 2018

See this official competition page: http://www.cev.lu/Competition-Area/compe…D=1037&PID=1550

The top four teams are:

1. Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL (TUR)
2. Uralochka NTMK EKATERINBURG (RUS)
3. Pomì CASALMAGGIORE (ITA)
4. Unet Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO (ITA)

No Polish team is listed so far - reminds on Italian approach, to omit the lower competitions and play just CL (Impel WROCLAW=Breslau were set for it, and this time even Tauron MKS DABROWA GORNICZA didn't want that berth it seems).

Under these circumstances both German teams Stuttgart and Dresden, eligible to take part in CL qualification but decided both against it, are the next best teams IMHO, the two teams of France and Romania should be also not too bad, I think. But I guess, the DOL will be carried out to guarantee the possibility of the favorites only semis with the Turkish, Russian and both Italian top teams alone. I think, no too strong team from CL will come down to disturb the four mentioned best teams either...

• "serdar" is male

Favourite Team: Cuban NT, Turkish NT, VAKIFBANK

Favourite Players: A. Orro/O. Malinov/H. Miyashita/X. Gong/T. Boskoviç/M. Vargas/P. Egonu/I. Haak/H. Klimets/Z. Ting/C. Zhang/Gabi/B. Busa/M. Sylla/C. Bosetti/I. Voronkova/K. Ilchenko/D. Santana/J. Geerties/C. Plak/M. Mlejnkova/A. Leyva/L. Scuka/C. van Gestel/B. Herbotts/N. Daalderop/C. Chirichella/I. Fetisova/K. Akman/M. Popoviç/A. Danesi/S. Bonifacio/Y. Xinyue/Z. Todorova/A. De Tant

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 7:48pm

This cup is becoming a joke like Challenge cup. CEV should see that It is useless to have two cups besides CL, they should fuse both CEV Cup and Challenge Cup and let more Turkish, Italian and Russian teams play

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "serdar" (Jun 13th 2017, 7:53pm)

• "Angel" is male

Favourite Team: Spain NT, Germany NT, Japan NT

Favourite Players: Logan Tom, Saori Kimura, Jaqueline Carvalho, Yukiko Ebata, Amaranta Fernández, Helena Havelkova, Berenika Okuniewska, Madelaynne Montaño, Bethania de la Cruz, Nataliya Obmochaeva, Jéssica Rivero

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 9:38pm

This cup is becoming a joke like Challenge cup. CEV should see that It is useless to have two cups besides CL, they should fuse both CEV Cup and Challenge Cup and let more Turkish, Italian and Russian teams play

I don't agree at all. Ok CEV and Challenge level is far lower than CL but I think there's more volleyball than TUR, RUS and ITA (even POL, GER, AZE) and minor leagues should have chance to compete against teams from other countries with similar level. If they want more ITA, RUS and TUR they should be in CL, because of their level (and economic posibilities) not in CEV/Challenge.

Phil

Professional

• "Phil" is male

Favourite Team: Atom Trefl - Azeryol - Vakıfbank - Modena - RC Cannes

Favourite Players: Chen Wan Ting, Nootsara Tomkom, Maja Ognjenović, Neslihan Demir, Samanta Fabris, Anna Werblińska, Erika Coimbra, Erika Araki, Piyanut Pannoy

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 10:14pm

Impel Wrocław and Tauron Dąbrowa Górnicza didn't want to play.
ŁKS Łódź (6th place last season), Aluprof Bielsko Biała (7th) and Budowlani Toruń (8th) got offer to play but they refused it.

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male

Wednesday, June 14th 2017, 6:11am

I don't agree at all. Ok CEV and Challenge level is far lower than CL but I think there's more volleyball than TUR, RUS and ITA (even POL, GER, AZE) and minor leagues should have chance to compete against teams from other countries with similar level. If they want more ITA, RUS and TUR they should be in CL, because of their level (and economic posibilities) not in CEV/Challenge.

Yes, for example for fifth best league, the German Bundesliga, the CEV cup is the only one that makes sense currently to take part in, which is agreed by Stuttgart, Dresden and Schwerin obviously. Bad luck for Schwerin (or the right fine, it is in the eye of the beholder) is, they have to play Challenge cup, despite they wanted CEV cup too, because there were enough applications for CEV cup to fill the 22 slots alongside with the 10 teams not making it to CL group phase.

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male

Wednesday, June 14th 2017, 6:29pm

DOL was completed today afternoon. You can see results already here now:

http://www.cev.lu/NewsImages/25613/Files/CEV%20CupW.pdf

Some general remarks:

Busto Arsizio and Schwerin came in with wildcards, not regularly qualified and are not set due to their leagues rankings therefore.

Busto Arsizio therefore faces clear cut competition favorites and seeding leaders Eczacibasi Istanbul already in second round: bad luck.

Schwerin is in the quarter of Casalamaggiore, the last are set at position 3 also in upper half with Eczacibasi (would collide in semis therefore), SSC Schwerin was in the last 24 hours unexpectedly upgraded from Challenge cup herein though.

The lower half is reigned by second seed Uralochka EKATERINBURG (RUS), but the third quarter sees the two seeded as fourth (formally third) German Bundesliga teams of Stuttgart and Dresden, they should play gainst each other in quarters therefore. The winner will get Bronze medal for this competition (Dresden has already one of this, Stuttgart not yet: motivation?), but has to play semis against Russian / Sibirian team mentioned...