You are not logged in.

world volleyball coaches show 2018 header

Dear visitor, welcome to Inside VolleyCountry. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male
  • "StefanS" started this thread

About me: Team Europa member of Allianz MTV Stuttgart

Favourite Team: Allianz MTV Stuttgart

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 8:24pm

CEV Champions League 2019

The 12 teams formally qualified for pool stage, with remarks about it in and below of it:

Turkey: VakifBank ISTANBUL, Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL
Russia: Dynamo MOSCOW, Dynamo KAZAN
Italy: Imoco CONEGLIANO, Igor Gorgonzola NOVARA
Germany: (SSC Palmberg SCHWERIN, Allianz MTV STUTTGART - both highly unlikely to participate, see below)

Switzerland: (Volero ZÜRICH - not eligible because of league change I expect)
Poland: Chemik POLICE
France: BÉZIERS VB (Angels)
Romania: CSM BUKAREST

Teams likely to inherit above open berths:

(Azerrail BAKU - out of money and strength, highly unlikely IMHO)
(Czech republic: Agel PROSTEJOV no more, seems, they have not anymore the money for it)
Serbia: Vizura RUMA (again)
Finland: HPK HÄMEENLINNA (I'm not sure, would be the first time, I think)
Greece: Olympiacos PIRAEUS (tbc if they want, but have a good opportunity)

Maybe even Slovenian Champions Maribor and/or Belgium Champions Asterix will have a chance to get directly to pool stage?

Remarks: it seems, that Schwerins Palmberg Hall is now too much criticised by CEV (and VBL!) to let them play at least CL anymore; financially Schwerin could afford the task (keep in mind they cashed from Firenze 150.000 Euro for premature change of Louisa Lippmann to the Italian club, enough to buy a video challenge system). Stuttgart has still not a sufficient budget to participate without automatically build up considerable debt by doing so. This is a tragedy for German volleyball of course, this time not really caused by the both finalist teams of VBL themselves...

Because Volero now plays with license of (Rocheville) LE CANNET in French league, they should inherit just their Challenge cup berth, nothing more. But of course, CEV has to decide...

Azerrail BAKU is supposed like last year to play at most Challenge cup due to financial shortcomings.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "StefanS" (May 6th 2018, 12:53pm)

Matthias

Setter & Coach

• "Matthias" is male

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 8:34pm

financially Schwerin could afford the task (keep in mind they cashed from Firenze 150.000 Euro for premature change of Louisa Lippmann to the Italian club
Sorry for off-topic, but: no they did not :!: That was Bild Zeitung fake news :wall:

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 8:38pm

Some more teams interesting or at least having a decent level, which are eligible respective might apply for qualification rounds:

Turkey: Fenerbahce ISTANBUL
Russia: Uralochka NTMK EKATERINBURG
Italy: Savino del Bene SCANDICCI
Germany: DRESDNER SC

Poland: LKS Commercecon LODZ
France: RC CANNES (will they truely return?)
Romania: Alba BLAJ

Greece: Olympiacos PIRAEUS (will they? they can even hope to inherit one free berth in pool stage it seems)
Belgium: Asterix Avo BEVEREN
Slovenia: Nova KBM Branik MARIBOR

Bulgaria: Maritza PLOVDIV
Belorus: Minchanka MINSK

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "StefanS" (May 6th 2018, 12:52pm)

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 8:40pm

financially Schwerin could afford the task (keep in mind they cashed from Firenze 150.000 Euro for premature change of Louisa Lippmann to the Italian club
Sorry for off-topic, but: no they did not :!: That was Bild Zeitung fake news :wall:

Thanks for clarification - it's not always easy to detect, when they are inventing something.

• "crovolley" is male

Favourite Team: Imoco Conegliano, Scandicci, Pomi NT Croatia

Favourite Players: Samanta Fabris, Joanne Wolosz, Monica De Gennaro, Raphaela Folie, Ema Strunjak, Nikolina Bozicevic

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 8:48pm

I think Scandicci already got their ticket because first of all didn't Italy got 3 spot for next CL ? And in interview Bosetti and Haak already said that they can't wait to perform in CL.

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 9:10pm

I think Scandicci already got their ticket because first of all didn't Italy got 3 spot for next CL ? And in interview Bosetti and Haak already said that they can't wait to perform in CL.

All top four ranked league have two berths in pool stage and one for qualifcation rounds, so this applies also for Italy. Qualification is already counted as CL competition part indeed, but with lesser demands as in pool stage (no video challenge nor laola1.tv high quality stream required).

Phil

Professional

• "Phil" is male

Favourite Team: Atom Trefl - Azeryol - Vakıfbank - Modena - RC Cannes

Favourite Players: Chen Wan Ting, Nootsara Tomkom, Maja Ognjenović, Neslihan Demir, Samanta Fabris, Anna Werblińska, Erika Coimbra, Erika Araki, Piyanut Pannoy

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 9:11pm

2+1
2 in pool stage, 1 team in qualification round.

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 9:29pm

Seems like Prostejov will not participate in the Champions League (rather in CEV or Challenge Cup), at least as i understand the translation of an interview with their coach on their website:
http://www.vkprostejov.cz/index.php?novinka=4157

That's a pity... was a nice team to root for in the CL.

How many teams will have to say "NO" until CEV EVENTUALLY starts to "rethink" all its regulations and requirements for participation :rolleyes:

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "FAME" (May 5th 2018, 9:55pm)

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 10:00pm

Seems like Prostejov will not participate in the Champions League (rather in CEV or Challenge Cup), at least as i understand the translation of an interview with their coach on their website:
http://www.vkprostejov.cz/index.php?novinka=4157

That's a pity... was a nice team to root for in the CL.

How many teams will have to say "NO" until CEV EVENTUALLY starts to "rethink" all its regulations and requirements for participation :rolleyes:

Yes, the head coach is rather clear, that they will no more participate in CL opposed to the last years, sounds like reduced budget as (core) issue. They will go down to CEV cup or Challenge cup, depending what the CEV decides.

IMHO the CEV respects only the top leagues Turkey, Russia, Italy and a little bit Poland too, and don't care for the others. If they proceed this way, they will effectively eliminate any other league in the mid-to-long run from this elite competition - maybe this is even, what they are aiming for?

• "Meatballs" is male

Favourite Team: Galatasaray, Turkish NT Women

Favourite Players: Kim Yeon-koung, Milena Rasic, Isabelle Haak

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 10:52pm

That's actually very sad that teams refuse to join due to financial reasons. That simply means CEV is offering no financial value for them or incentives. In football, teams get lots of money when they participate in european cups, for every match they win or have a draw and that makes the quality much better. Sorry but it is simply stupid to ask teams to invest so much money when you don't offer them anything back :wavy:

• "crovolley" is male

Favourite Team: Imoco Conegliano, Scandicci, Pomi NT Croatia

Favourite Players: Samanta Fabris, Joanne Wolosz, Monica De Gennaro, Raphaela Folie, Ema Strunjak, Nikolina Bozicevic

Saturday, May 5th 2018, 11:05pm

Yeah you are right. In Croatia football team Dinamo got a lot of muny from football federation after they quailfly for CL and for them it was so important to play CL, not only to play but also because they got huge money.
And still you need to pay 100.000€ to FIVB or CEV to play at WCCH or CL. So stupid.

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male

Sunday, May 6th 2018, 7:31am

The reality is, federations like DVV in Germany or the Czech pendant have no money to give to the qualifying clubs currently. And at least in Germany there is no other party helping financially too; this CL participation has to be financed only by the sponsors, in Stuttgart even solely by private money. - This would be one area, where a league sponsor would definitely help the teams.

Monday, May 7th 2018, 10:43am

I think Volero Le Cannet should get a spot in qualification. They have the money and a competitive team.

StefanS

Professional

• "StefanS" is male

Friday, May 18th 2018, 8:10pm

WorldOfVolley reports, that the technical timeouts are no more in all CEV competitions from now on - here in CL this is reasonable, I think, because of the video challenge system, but is this an improvement for the other competitions?