Italy - Serie A1 2016/17

• I'm happy after all Samanta Fabris finished this season with great performance. I think it is time for her to go from Seria A and go to play in Turkey.

• Novara - Modena in finals...

I think no one predicted this before the season....

Of course, Both Conegliano and Pomi have been affected by injuries of key-players...but, that's all in the game....

Novara and Modena play total different style of volleyball...will be very interesting.. offense against defense....

• Wow Modena :white:

Only 5th in regular season, then the epic 25-23 tie-break against Bergamo in QF, now twice coming back from 0-2 sets in semifinal. Looks like they have excellent nerves and improved a lot throughout the season, especially Neriman and Brakocevic play much better now. Plus Modena has a lot of important back-ups (Bianchini, Garzaro, Marcon) that can change a match.

• Well, congrats Modena!
    A deserved victory!
    As said before, Modena had the capability to beat Conegliano and also the luck to have all the roster available, not something to underestimate also considering that their bench helped A LOT to change both matches ;)
    I must admit that I'm sorry that Mazzanti and probably Ortolani ended their adventure with Conegliano with a double loss, though :(

Congrats also to Novara!

Curious that all the quarterfinals ended in 3 matches, while both the semi ended in 2 matches.
    Now the final is at the best of 5, with Novara with 3 matches at home.

Does that mean Novara and Modena are in the CL?

I think Conegliano has a spot as RS winner, in that case there is only a spot less that will go to the winner...

Only 5th in regular season, then the epic 25-23 tie-break against Bergamo in QF, now twice coming back from 0-2 sets in semifinal. Looks like they have excellent nerves and improved a lot throughout the season, especially Neriman and Brakocevic play much better now. Plus Modena has a lot of important back-ups (Bianchini, Garzaro, Marcon) that can change a match.

They also got the final in the Italian Cup and the first place of the pool in the CL.

• Congrats to Modena, it wasn't easy after being 2-0 down. To me the two teams in better shape are in final (considering that also Piccinini is back). I'm sorry for Conegliano but it was evident in both matches that their energies were finished. Also big congratulations to Gaspari, he shaped the team and gave cohesion and fighting spirit, bringing them to the final both in the league and in Coppa..

• Remember, there is currently only one fixed spot in the CL group phase, i.e. for the Italian champion only, second team has to play qualification tournament for CL, but of course this costs mainly a few (4?) additional matches, nothing more. So I guess, Conegliano may get qualification chance instead of inferior finalist?

• Remember, there is currently only one fixed spot in the CL group phase, i.e. for the Italian champion only, second team has to play qualification tournament for CL, but of course this costs mainly a few (4?) additional matches, nothing more. So I guess, Conegliano may get qualification chance instead of inferior finalist?

I forgot about the qualification matches. Yes, I guess Conegliano will start from there as winner of the RS, and the winner of the Scudetto will start from the pool.

• The winner of Modena Novara will make it directly through the group stage of CL and the loser will have to play the qualification process to the CL. Actually Conegliano is out, in case they wont get a wild card, right?

Honestly I don't remember the rules, I'm trying to check it. O is there someone that knows it for sure?
    The real possibilities are:
    - winner of the Championship directly in a pool + winner of the RS in the qualification
    - winner of the Championship directly in a pool + loser of the finals in the qualification

I thought it was like in the Superlega, where the winner of the RS got a spot too.
    Well, for the male we have 3 spot so it's difficult to compare, but the less important spot (the one that gets you to the qualification and not directly to the pool) is for the loser of the final, so I thought it was the spot missing in the female league...

• Is it even sure that Italy only has two places in CL? It's based on the CEV European Cups ranking list and the new edition should include results from last year when Pomi was the European champion, so maybe it means that Italy has got into the top 4 overtaking Azerbaijan, which should give them 3 spots.

• OMG, Laura Heyrman :white: I'm so happy for her current performance. She seems more confident whenever she's given chances to attack and her blocking has developed A LOT!
    Congrats to both Modena and Novara, I except a great final. I wanted Casalmaggiore to advance but they have been extraordinarily unlucky this year with injuries. I don't like their OHs aside from Tirozzi. Regarding the setters, alright, Peric has a great potential but she's not a Lloyd and her team desperately needed her back.

• Is it even sure that Italy only has two places in CL? It's based on the CEV European Cups ranking list and the new edition should include results from last year when Pomi was the European champion, so maybe it means that Italy has got into the top 4 overtaking Azerbaijan, which should give them 3 spots.

Well, then I wish for it!

• Well, how funny is it to go in 48 hours from the idea of a season ending in late May to the reality of it ending in late April? :gone: ;(

All jokes aside, kudos to Modena, the living proof of the theory that regular season and playoffs may be two completely different matters. While over the season we slowly worn out, they built a team, and tons of credit must be given to Marco Gaspari: this is the 2nd time he makes it to the final after finishing the RS in the 5th place. I'm just a bit sorry for this time he's on the other bench and not on ours... And I believe - and I wish him - that this will be the last season he begins as coach of a 3rd division team.

As for us, we were already out of fuel and I'm also afraid the girls (some of them) might have been a little distracted by the transfer rumours. Speaking of which, I agree once more with KK15 and I hope the club will try to extend Robinson's contract, before thinking about Egonu, Kosheleva, Hill, the Virgin Mary, etc.
    Meanwhile, we'll have to be content with the national cup and a spot in the next CL (yes, we'll be there, although most likely starting from the qualification phase).

• Oh, I remembered that list, but I didn't remembered the year... :(

Piervi: I also like Gaspari very much. I'm not able to judge him technically and tactically, but Imust say that in the time out he always says the things I would love to hear as a player!