Germany - VBL 1. Bundesliga 2017/2018

• setting can be the real weekest spot for RR next season

Les pieds dans le fumier, mais toujours le verbe haut et la tête droite ! Cocorico !

• Decision was made by VfB Suhl: the city Meiningen of sponsoring county Schmalkalden-Meiningen will host the first part of season the team in their "Multi-Halle". It is supposed to be near enough to avoid too big losses of time and logistics add-ons.

• Dresden completes their roster with 17 year old OPP Rica Maase who has been promoted from the talent team to the pro team. Which means that the Finnish girl will be starter :white:

S: Mareen Apitz (GER), Madison Bugg (USA)
    OH: Eva Hodanová (CZE), Marrit Jasper (NED), Katharina Schwabe (GER), Dominika Strumilo (BEL)
    OPP: Piia Korhonen (FIN), Rica Maase (GER)
    MB: Ivana Mrdak (SRB), Saša Planinšec (SLO), Barbara Wezorke (GER)
    L: Michelle Petter (GER), Myrthe Schoot (NED)

Looking at the roster Dresden seems to be BADLY out of money :| With this team I think they're far behind Schwerin and Stuttgart and will compete with Wiesbaden, Potsdam and Vilsbiburg for 3rd-6th place.

• I documented it on first page of this thread too. This seems to be a perspective team to develop to a championship contender (again) in 2 years or so... regarding current strength of teams I fully agree to this rating. By the way, after Wiesbaden, Münster and Stuttgart now Dresden is the fourth of the 10 professional teams in the league to complete their roster.

• Maybe I should write preliminary finished all the time? Remember, until 31.1. in every season new players can be hired by the teams, for different reasons, not always predictable...

Anyway, Vilsbiburg got back libera Michaela Bertalanitsch, who was last with lower Bavarian team Straubing (both in first and second league) and is searching for one more attacker to supposedly (preliminary!) finishing their roster of now 11 and afterwards 12 players

• After many more contracts made of the professional teams with players, I list the current state of the rosters regarding actual size, (guessed) planned size and number of German/domestic players in light of future rules (likely since season 2019/2020). Only Erfurt is still missing a considerable number of player contracts at now. First number is current contracts (so far known), second the (guessed) planned roster size an in braces the number of domestic players of the signed:

Schwerin: 12/13 (6) (updated 20. August 2017)
    Stuttgart: 12/12 (2)
    Dresden: 13/13 (5)
    Wiesbaden: 12/12 (8 )
    Potsdam: 10/11? (6)
    Vilsbiburg: 11/12 (5)
    Münster: 13/14? (9)
    Aachen: 11/11 (1) (updated 20. August 2017)
    Suhl: 11/11? (1) (updated 15. August 2017)
    Erfurt: 11/11? (5) (updated 4., 7. and 15. August 2017)

You can easily see, that Aachen and Suhl can't proceed with this kind of contract policy, as minimum numbers of domestic players will be given in future. Even Stuttgart is not capable of doing so, because if 2 were prescribed the 2 Germans would have to be on court all the time and couldn't be replaced. Rather comfortable would be only Wiesbaden and Münster, no reasonable change could bring number of them below 2 at any time. A good constellation could be seen also in Schwerin and Potsdam now. For all others it would be possible, but sometime tricky. But this is regularly done as limit in many leagues and is no black art.

A in-total consideration of this regulation can be done only in future of course (i.e. when all rosters completed and the rules are known).

• Is there no difference between EU-players and Not-EU-Players? Is it - according to the EU-rules - really possible to limit the number of players coming not from Germany, but from other EU-countries?

Is there no difference between EU-players and Not-EU-Players? Is it - according to the EU-rules - really possible to limit the number of players coming not from Germany, but from other EU-countries?

If you refer to the Bosman sentence: this applies also to Italy, so there is no limit for hiring foreigners (i.e. players from other EU countries), but a minimum of 3 domestic players agreed by A1 teams, who have to be on court per team all the time. This grey zone approach seems not to be illegal due to European rights.

• Erfurt hires US middle Evyn McCoy and needs now two further players, all other teams are complete or need at most one more.

One of them is Annalena Grätz (Köpenicker SC). She say it on her Instagram Account that she goes to Erfurt.

Nele Iwohn goes to Offenburg (Second League South)

• One of them is Annalena Grätz (Köpenicker SC). She say it on her Instagram Account that she goes to Erfurt.

Nele Iwohn goes to Offenburg (Second League South)

I expected some players of the dissolved Köpenick team to go to other first league teams, so that's no big surprise. Going down from 1st to 2nd league means for a player nearly giving up a professional career (at least in most cases), so I would not recommend this to most of them. Remember, the second league is pure amateur sports without truly professional training.

• any news about Pogany? Thougt she will go to Potsdam... but see the articel... :sos:

I expected her in Vilsbiburg or maybe even Erfurt, but now all teams have a libero. That's the problem with Köpenick closing, they were always a good address for young German players to grow. So Pogany either has to go abroad or has to hope some team has a bit of money left for another libero. Maybe Suhl doesn't want to rely on 39 year old Lauerova to play through the whole season as only libero?