Germany - VBL 1. Bundesliga 2017/2018

• I praised Oude Luttikhuis in another topic ;) But regarding today, she was simply terrible, and Sunjic too. But both have had better games too...

About the hall argument: I agree that it is a bigger disadvantage for the guest teams than for Aachen as host. They play 10 home games in the hall plus countless practices, so they are much better used to the low ceiling than all other teams that play in Aachen once per season.

• Stuttgart - VCO Berlin 3:0 (25:12 25:19 25:17)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2216.pdf
    MVP: Renata Sandor / Josepha Bock

Dresden - Aachen 3:0 (25:21 25:16 25:20)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2078.pdf
    MVP: Madi Bugg / McKenzie Adams
    Great match by Ivana Mrdak as well.

Suhl - Erfurt 3:0 (25:22 25:13 25:16)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2032.pdf
    MVP: Tereza Patockova / An Saita
    This seals Erfurt's fate to finish last (not counting VCO Berlin).

Wiesbaden - Vilsbiburg 3:2 (25:17 23:25 25:19 15:25 15:11)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2080.pdf
    MVP: Dora Grozer / Dayana Segovia
    A serve streak by Irina Kemmsies from 7:10 to 14:10 in 5th set gave Wiesbaden the win in the end.

Tomorrow Stuttgart-Potsdam, Münster-Schwerin, Wiesbaden-VCO.

• Now race for the best places for the playoff gets into the final phase, the top three teams have now 2 remaining matches each. Stuttgart was very impressive today, they exerted too much pressue on Potsdam, what lead to a quick three set victory. Schwerin was not at its best, but took also in three sets the victory from Münster.

Now Stuttgart leads with four points more and 16 wins before Schwerin with 15 wins as well as Dresden, but Dresden has even one point less.

Wiesbaden used the chance against VCO Berlin, took easily three points and is now fourth again. But that race is far from being over, despite Potsdam is now no real contender anymore (see above).

• which team do you think will be the champion ?
    could Stuttgart be succesful in getting the title again?

Oh, Allianz MTV Stuttgart was NEVER German champion and Schwerin is defending and record champion (11 times). But this time Stuttgart has pretty good chances because of the strong league round and roster. Stuttgart was the last three years vice champion, twice behind Dresden, and last time behind Schwerin.

Don't confuse with three times champions (before uniting both German leagues 1992) of Western Germany CJD Feuerbach, which was also from Stuttgart, but a totally different team, completely dissolved 1995 only a few years after their last championship 1991.

The current league leaders from Stuttgart were founded as team only 2006 and got into first league already (from regional over second league) two years later 2008, when they were 6th best team in their first 1 league season out of than 15 teams. This is the 10th first league season ever of them.

• Stuttgart - Potsdam 3:0 (25:16 25:20 25:14)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2076.pdf
    MVP: Deborah van Daelen / Marta Drpa

Münster - Schwerin 0:3 (24:26 22:25 19:25)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2079.pdf
    MVP: Lina Alsmeier / Louisa Lippmann
    17 year old Lina Alsmeier confirms her status as great prospect at OH position with a solid performance both in reception and attack and already her 3rd MVP medal this season.

Wiesbaden - VCO Berlin 3:0 (25:13 25:16 25:20)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2217.pdf
    MVP: Tanja Großer / Sindy Lenz

Ranking:
    1 Allianz MTV Stuttgart 18 16 50:13 49
    2 SSC Palmberg Schwerin 18 15 50:14 45
    3 Dresdner SC 18 15 47:17 44
    4 VC Wiesbaden 18 11 37:30 31
    5 Ladies in Black Aachen 17 10 35:28 28
    6 Rote Raben Vilsbiburg 18 9 34:31 27
    7 USC Münster 17 7 30:34 24
    8 SC Potsdam 17 6 25:37 19
    9 VfB Suhl LOTTO Thüringen 18 5 19:43 15
    10 Schwarz-Weiß Erfurt 18 3 13:49 9
    11 VCO Berlin 17 0 7:51 0

• oh..i remembed it wrong. thanx..i remember they had won against Schwerin but what match was it ?( cup match or championship ?
    the status of finals was best of 3 in German championship ?

Allianz MTV Stuttgart won in total three times the national DVV cup finals (2011, 2015 and 2017, that last time against Schwerin) and once the supercup so far (2016 against Dresden).

• Erfurt is now discussing, if they should retreat their team from first league (!). They are well aware, that there is likely no need for this due to the circumstances (there are currently just 10 professional teams and at most two seem to want a first league license additionally, so the desired number of 12 can be only afforded with Erfurt), despite they are for sure the team on the 10th and last, nominal relegation position. They talk to their sponsors, if they want to finance further this adventure, which was so far pretty unsuccessful indeed. And 600.000 Euro are enough, to do better, I think. The head coach Kronseder wants to continue his work there anyway, but IMHO he has to construct at first a working roster, he needs at least one decent OH more, I think.

• Alexander Waibl prematurely renewed his contract with Dresdner SC until 2021. He's their head coach since 2009, so by far the longest time on bench of all 1st league teams at the moment.

One might question this deal, especially regarding the too feeble choice of OHs currently, which will leave the championsship finals forseeable to the much better selected teams on this positions of Stuttgart and Schwerin - doesn't he recognize, that they lack quality on this position currently?

• I heared rumors, that the juniorteam of Schwerin in 2nd-League will retired after the season. Have anybody some informations about the future (full retirement or start in 3rd-league) of the federal base in Schwerin? thanks a lot.

By the way, the federal base here in münster has got a new coordinator, a new Person for represantitive Jobs (Lippmann, our female Volleyball Player 2017) :win: :cheesy: etc. Source [in german]

• I heared rumors, that the juniorteam of Schwerin in 2nd-League will retired after the season. Have anybody some informations about the future (full retirement or start in 3rd-league) of the federal base in Schwerin? thanks a lot.

By the way, the federal base here in münster has got a new coordinator, a new Person for represantitive Jobs (Lippmann, our female Volleyball Player 2017) :win: :cheesy: etc. Source [in german]

No way, that Schwerin will cease the federal base, and in which league they play is decided by DVV and VBL - due to poor results of them this season, downgrading to third league seems likely. Of course, this costs money, but other than Münster Schwerin, Dresden and Stuttgart can afford those costs.

• At the weekend there are two especially important matches:

on Saturday evening Stuttgart can seal the victory in the league round for the pole position for the playoffs in Vilsbiburg. The last release an underdog news, that they will fight against the "undoubtedly best German team at now" as they can, because they need every point or set possible for the Playoff ranking.

On Sunday Schwerin hosts Wiesbaden, which will be interesting in several regards: the first league match was won by Wiesbaden (as hosts), and Schwerin needs every point now to ensure second place for the playoffs (at least, depending of the above mentioned match eventually more).

In Erfurt there is optimism, that despite another season felt like wasted because of poor results not only the VBL (this was clearly to expect, they need every possible rule-conforming team with enough money in first league), but also sponsors seem to be willing, to let them continue. But a decision will be made lateley, unlikely before end of March (as always, all teams have to request first league license until 1. April, when the playoffs are still running).

• One might question this deal, especially regarding the too feeble choice of OHs currently, which will leave the championsship finals forseeable to the much better selected teams on this positions of Stuttgart and Schwerin - doesn't he recognize, that they lack quality on this position currently?

On the other side, i think, there are also some "bright spots", even in case they don't make the final this season. I kinda like, that they also took the "risk" to hire young NT players from european countries like Finland and Slovenia plus the priorly rather unknown Mrdak from Serbia. Seeing young Korhonen make her plays and handle the pressure and the higher level of play THAT good, who would have thought? I think it was a good decision for the longer term to count on such players instead of relying sooo much on the Americans. Don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of the NCAA, but i think to have a more MULTI-national team is better for the long term, it might give you an edge on the transfer front if the next top talent from such countries (SRB, SLO, BEL, NED, CZE, FIN....) emerge, to have players from there that already made good experiences with your club. P.S: I'm still rooting for Kemmsies, Stock and Co. to win the Cup, though. ;)

• On the other side, i think, there are also some "bright spots", even in case they don't make the final this season. I kinda like, that they also took the "risk" to hire young NT players from european countries like Finland and Slovenia plus the priorly rather unknown Mrdak from Serbia. Seeing young Korhonen make her plays and handle the pressure and the higher level of play THAT good, who would have thought? I think it was a good decision for the longer term to count on such players instead of relying sooo much on the Americans. Don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of the NCAA, but i think to have a more MULTI-national team is better for the long term, it might give you an edge on the transfer front if the next top talent from such countries (SRB, SLO, BEL, NED, CZE, FIN....) emerge, to have players from there that already made good experiences with your club. P.S: I'm still rooting for Kemmsies, Stock and Co. to win the Cup, though. ;)

Because of the remarkable performances of Wiesbaden in the last decade (at least, but longer I can't remember honestly), I wish them also luck in DVV cup.
    And yes, Waibl seems to have more a mid-term plan, which is now problematically, because Schwerin and Stuttgart are strengthening with championship-ready players their rosters, so his official goal to win the championship is not realistic this season at least IMHO.