Germany - VBL 1. Bundesliga 2017/2018

• And Stuttgart is the second team after Aachen in the semis, also in the fourth match of the season they didn't lose a single set to Vilsbiburg.

Now we have the strange issue, that regardless how the playoffs proceed, as league round winner and semi final participant we have already a ticket for the CL qualification rounds... but we can't afford participation financially, it seems. This is so sad... why the CEV makes this venue that expensive for the clubs?

• The second league team VC Printus Offenburg won not only already yesterday the southern half of it and is eligible to go to first Bundesliga now, but is seriously preparing the order of the first league license. As far too often, they are not sure, if they can present until end of the week their goal to sum up a budget of 450.000 Euro (which is definitely the lower end of the teams in the first league), so they might not do it at the end, despite they want. The end of the week coming is the last chance, to order this license, the week after we will definitely know, which teams want to play in the first league in season 2018/2019.

• Münster - Schwerin 0:3 (15, 27, 17)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2507.pdf
    MVP: Linda Dörendahl / Greta Szakmary

Lisa Thomsen couldn't play today but Dörendahl replaced her well. Münster put up a great fight, especially in 2nd set, but Schwerin simply was too strong.

So we know 3 semifinalists now. Potsdam-Dresden starts in one hour, if Potsdam can achieve another surprise the semifinals would be complete, otherwise we'd have to wait until Wednesday.

• Despite Dresden won the first two sets, this match isn't over yet: the second was very close and Potsdam won the third. We will see, if Potsdam is capable of enforcing a tie-break, to maximize pressure for Dresden.

• Potsdam is putting up a really good fight :super: They could have won 2nd set but made too many mistakes in the end, but now in 3rd set they pulled through. Dresden is too busy complaining to the referee so they have no concentration left for the actual match :whistle:

I'm far from being a fan of either team, but I can't stand Dresden's behavior :aww: So I guess I kind of want Potsdam to win this match. Even though Dresden technically is better...

• Potsdam is putting up a really good fight :super: They could have won 2nd set but made too many mistakes in the end, but now in 3rd set they pulled through. Dresden is too busy complaining to the referee so they have no concentration left for the actual match :whistle:

I'm far from being a fan of either team, but I can't stand Dresden's behavior :aww: So I guess I kind of want Potsdam to win this match. Even though Dresden technically is better...

The major faults in Dresden were made before the season: the feeble selection of the roster. This one is not living up to the always high expectations in Dresden to the team. They played overall a rock-solid season so far, but if things get hard against strong opponents, the limits of this team become more visible - I remember to the several clear defeats of Dresden especially against Stuttgart and Schwerin in the second part of the season, which should have been taken as warning sign by them.

• Dresden survived this match on the road and I guess, they will complete their run to the semis at home now. But I'm pretty sure, that they will have a bad experience against Schwerin there and will have a hard time to win even a set.

• Potsdam - Dresden 1:3 (19:25 24:26 25:20 15:25)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2504.pdf
    MVP: Marta Drpa / Mareen Apitz

After playing two sets at their limit, Potsdam collapsed in 4th set, especially in reception. It also didn't help that nobody apart from Drpa could score, she scored 27 points in attack and the rest of the team combined 15 :!: :white:
    Dresden with much better distribution, playing with Jasper instead of Hodanova turned out to be a good move today.

3rd and decisive match on Wednesday in Dresden. I expect a rather clear win for Dresden...

• Because it is the last running quarter series, TV stations Sport1 wlll air on free TV on Wednesday, 28. March, at 19 CEST the final match of Dresden vs. Potsdam. As already mentioned before, now Dresden is again the clear-cut favourite.

• Ivana Vanjak renewed her contract with USC Münster and the article says that she has also been invited to NT trainings for this summer (as I expected...).
    Besides her, Münster has contracts with Mareike Hindriksen, Lisa Thomsen, Liza Kastrup, Luisa Keller, Lena Vedder, Chiara Hoenhorst, Lina Alsmeier and Juliet Lohuis for next season. Ivana Bulajic and Nadja Schaus are leaving, Ines Bathen considers to retire because she has finished her studies and might start working as teacher, the future of Juliane Langgemach, Katja Kylmäaho and Roosa Laakkonen is still open.

• An article from yesterday revelead, that of the 1.3 million Euro yearly budget of Stuttgart (this and the season coming) about 2/3 are player salaries, i.e. a little more than 800.000 Euro, the roster has 14 players currently. Remember, that the Berufsgenossenschaft (kind of sports injury assurance) costs in access of 200.000 Euro per year and every home match at least 7.500 Euro, for so far 18 home matches for sure this makes also roundabout 130.000 Euro and than add costs for traveling, TV airing, internet streaming of matches and coach salaries, you see the reality... no chance to get the additionally required 200.000 Euro for CL it seems.

• 2nd league champion VC Offenburg has announced not to promote to 1st league yet, they need another year to improve their professional organisation, but their goal is to become champion again next season and then play 1st league in 2019/20.

• So Dresden is the expected fourth team in semis: no chance today for a tired team Potsdam, therefore the semis are:

Stuttgart vs. Aachen (on this Saturday)
    Dresden vs. Schwerin (on Sport1 TV on Tuesday)

Despite Dresden earned the home advantage in the league round, Schwerin has to be considered as stronger. So the expected final series of the two best league teams Stuttgart and Schwerin is still the most likely one (as last season, by the way).

• Dresden - Potsdam 3:0 (25:16 25:17 25:12)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2505.pdf
    MVP: Mareen Apitz / Sophie Dreblow

@Stefan: Never count out Dresden, never...I want Schwerin to be in final and I hope they can do it, but Dresden has the home advantage and has once again shown that they can always drag themselves out of difficult moments. I won't be surprised at all to see them in the final...

• Dresden - Potsdam 3:0 (25:16 25:17 25:12)
    http://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2017-18/Women/2505.pdf
    MVP: Mareen Apitz / Sophie Dreblow

@Stefan: Never count out Dresden, never...I want Schwerin to be in final and I hope they can do it, but Dresden has the home advantage and has once again shown that they can always drag themselves out of difficult moments. I won't be surprised at all to see them in the final...

Honestly: we from Stuttgart would beat Dresden easily in the finals, but from a truely competition and sportsmanship behaviour we want to play the strongest team in the finals, because this feels right, so Stuttgart vs. Schwerin would be the right final series for this German championship. Indeed, Schwerin led slip away some chances to stay ahead of Dresden in the table, but in this situation they should be capable to manage it despite Dresdens home advantage.

Of course Dresden hopes to stun Schwerin twice in their Margon "hell", because they will currently never win in Schwerins Palmberg hall, but I think, quality of Schwerin is too much higher to make this happen.

• <SPANtn":"C"}'"><SPANtn":"k"}'">Ladies in Black AachenJ’aime la Page</BUTTON>

2 h</ABBR> · https://www.facebook.com/#
    <DIVtn":"K"}'">

KIRSTEN KNIP VERLÄNGERT IN AACHEN

"Das ist ein Signal für die kommende Saison"

Les pieds dans le fumier, mais toujours le verbe haut et la tête droite ! Cocorico !

• As expected Erfurt will continue to play in first league - so we will likely have the same 10 professional teams next season as the last two seasons.

A press article from Erfurt says that NawaRo Straubing will also apply for a license for 1st league but I haven't found any official news from them about it. I remember reading a while ago that they consider another shot at 1st league but this time only if the financial circumstances are 100% safe.

Probably all foreign players will leave Erfurt, they only made new contract offers to Erika Mercado, An Saita and Emily Thater but it looks like they're leaving as well. Michaela Wessely has to end her career for health reasons but will be physiotherapist for the team. They are in negotiations with several German players, I assume some VCO Berlin players...