Germany - VBL 1. Bundesliga 2018/2019

• Surprise, surprise: for sure driven by money (Schwerin has about twice the budget of Wiesbaden) Schwerin hired Kimberly Drewniok away from Wiesbaden from a valid contract. She was the only "available" German opposite Schwerin could get now, I think (Hippe stays two more years with Olympiacos Piraeus in Greece, for example).

While overall I'm not a fan of breaking contracts, I find it very good that Schwerin takes Drewniok instead of buying a foreign player as replacement for Lippmann, and they surely could have afforded someone of Drewniok's quality. It shows that they really intent to develop German talents because it is totally obvious that right now Pogany and Drewniok are not on the same level as Carocci and Lippmann, so Schwerin risks getting worse results than last year next season but they think long-term.

• While overall I'm not a fan of breaking contracts, I find it very good that Schwerin takes Drewniok instead of buying a foreign player as replacement for Lippmann, and they surely could have afforded someone of Drewniok's quality. It shows that they really intent to develop German talents because it is totally obvious that right now Pogany and Drewniok are not on the same level as Carocci and Lippmann, so Schwerin risks getting worse results than last year next season but they think long-term.

Since limitations for foreigners will come into power for season 2019/2020 it seems all teams should now try to hire enough German players - and as always, the clubs with higher budgets have an advantage also in this regard. So this is already helping German players, which is a good thing without any doubt.

• Talking about Schwerin, I'm a bit surprised that Jennifer Geerties hasn't renewed her contract yet (at least it hasn't been announced, and all other renewals have been published by Schwerin). I wonder what's the problem there, it sounded like it was sure that she'd stay. On the other hand it might be good for her development to change climate, maybe go someplace where she can improve her attacking. With Adams and Szakmary in Schwerin, Geerties could be in danger of ending up as Szakmary's backrow substitute because the other two are much better than her in attack, and without Lippmann's firepower they'll need more contribution from pos.4...

• Talking about Schwerin, I'm a bit surprised that Jennifer Geerties hasn't renewed her contract yet (at least it hasn't been announced, and all other renewals have been published by Schwerin). I wonder what's the problem there, it sounded like it was sure that she'd stay. On the other hand it might be good for her development to change climate, maybe go someplace where she can improve her attacking. With Adams and Szakmary in Schwerin, Geerties could be in danger of ending up as Szakmary's backrow substitute because the other two are much better than her in attack, and without Lippmann's firepower they'll need more contribution from pos.4...

Yes, the long time is suspicous, and Geerties might change therefore.

• VC Wiesbaden already found a replacement for Drewniok: USA OPP Holly Toliver. From the sound of the article they used the transfer bonus that they surely got from Schwerin for releasing Drewniok early well.

USC Münster signs Junior NT L Linda Bock. She'll be backup for Lisa Thomsen this season and is supposed to learn from her and potentially become her successor next season already.

• I entered all players we are aware of on first page of this thread.

It might be a good idea to educate a successor for Lisa Thomsen in Münster indeed - Linda Bock should try hard now.

• According to a newspaper article from Dresden, Katharina Schwabe and Camilla Weitzel haven't signed new contracts yet, but are supposed to do so soon. The club is very surprised about Schoot signing in Vilsbiburg because they seem to consider it a step down in her career :roll:
    Alex Waibl is going to find "international solutions" for libero position and 4th OH.

• That's a major surprise, because we assumed all here in Stuttgart, that she was confidently negotiating with some Italian teams. But of course she is still welcome and it is IMHO even better for her, after playing another season in Stuttgart she has likely the right moment to go to Italy.

Stuttgart is the first team to complete the planned 13 player roster - that's also unusual (for example Wiesbaden is usually quicker), and I can't remember for many years, that the team managed to keep as many as 8 players from one to another season.

All last known changes are now reflected on the first page again - I wish Claudia Steger a successful comeback in Suhl, she is not only the captain, but kind of the heart of the team - for many years now.

• That's a major surprise, because we assumed all here in Stuttgart, that she was confidently negotiating with some Italian teams. But of course she is still welcome and it is IMHO even better for her, after playing another season in Stuttgart she has likely the right moment to go to Italy.

Stuttgart is the first team to complete the planned 13 player roster - that's also unusual (for example Wiesbaden is usually quicker), and I can't remember for many years, that the team managed to keep as many as 8 players from one to another season.

All last known changes are now reflected on the first page again - I wish Claudia Steger a successful comeback in Suhl, she is not only the captain, but kind of the heart of the team - for many years now.

I'am agreed with you. For Paige is it better that she played one more year in Stuttgart. It's nice to see 2 Gophers Girls in one Team :cheesy:

At the Paper Stuttgart have a very good Team. :thumbsup:

• Tessa Polder und Britt Bongaerts signs in Schwerin

https://www.facebook.com/SSCPa…/1813370605389191/?type=3

Both signed 2 year contracts, which in addition to Schwerin's other transfers shows that they think about long-term success rather than about defending their title next season only.

IMO Bongaerts will be in an open race with Hanke about starting setter spot and it's the same for Polder vs Schölzel. I like it when players have to work hard to earn themselves a place on court, it makes them do better in every training.

• Schwerin needs now mainly two more OHs to complete the roster - at least I guess, they will not hire another classical opposite, but let occassionally play some OH or universal on opposite position.

• Newspaper Thuringia reports, that Erfurt hired two young German players, Sabrina Krause (from Schwerin) and Sindy Lenz; as Paula Reinisch, which stays there, all born in 1998. They also pronounce, that Erfurt keeps first league the second time in a row only, because there were too few first league licenses requested overall to make them leave - and Erfurt still has a suitable, rule-conforming hall (Riethsporthalle) as enough money, to play seriously in first league - they have to construct a more reasonable roster - they think, than they should be not as before the by far worst professional team in the league anymore.

• It was just a matter of time, now Katharina Schwabe has officially renewed her contract with Dresden for 2 more years.

Dominika Strumilo is leaving though, the contract was mutually resolved. Probably better for both sides...