Germany - VBL 1. Bundesliga 2018/2019

• Today was the draw for DVV Cup 2018/2019 and there is a clash of two top teams:

Stuttgart (three times winner) hosts Dresden (five times winner and title defenders) in first round

The other first league duels should be also respective even more in favour of the hosts:

Schwerin vs. Vilsbiburg
    Wiesbaden vs. Erfurt

All other 5 first league professional teams will play abroad on not yet determined amateur team host sites (at most second league).

• The board of DVV around Thomas Krone, the German national volleyball federation, has retired. There was too much tension regarding a project of the board, declined by most, if not all state federations after consulting their clubs. Since I expect, that the state federations will now install a board of their own, it will be interesting, if they will than dismiss Koslowski as federal coach due to the discussion about him because of being head coach of Schwerin too?

• The board of DVV around Thomas Krone, the German national volleyball federation, has retired. There was too much tension regarding a project of the board, declined by most, if not all state federations after consulting their clubs. Since I expect, that the state federations will now install a board of their own, it will be interesting, if they will than dismiss Koslowski as federal coach due to the discussion about him because of being head coach of Schwerin too?

There already is a new leadership under René Hecht (former NT player). Nobody in his right mind will dismiss Koslowski :roll: Sorry but only a die-hard Stuttgart (or Dresden) fan can have such fantasies.

• Aachen signs Belgian OH Jodie Guilliams. She currently plays as L in NT but they sign her as OH. IMO their OH position looks rather weak with Oude Luttikhuis, Jasper and now Guilliams :S None of them is a powerful attacker like Adams/Daalderop were for them in the last two years.

• Aachen signs Belgian OH Jodie Guilliams. She currently plays as L in NT but they sign her as OH. IMO their OH position looks rather weak with Oude Luttikhuis, Jasper and now Guilliams :S None of them is a powerful attacker like Adams/Daalderop were for them in the last two years.

At least against strong teams like Stuttgart she will have a hard time to make points at the net - we saw her in CEV cup last season against Asterix as OH, she was far away from the attack efficiency of captain Celine van Gestel. She is pretty good in reception and defense on the other hand.

Maybe Aachen will rely mainly on their new US Opposite?

• Slighty off-topic: German (at times NT) player Laura Emonts (Weihenmaier) goes from Prostejov (Czech republic) to Olympiacos Piraeus in Greece. While the last club pays well for sure, this is one of the issues of the league: some German players go abroad and (never?) come back, despite the level of the league and some clubs would be adequate for them.

• Amanda Benson to Dresdner SC.
    DSC

The US libero players are currently lacking in quality compared to a few years ago - I hope, that Benson can keep the promises for Dresden though.

Meanwhile Slowakian (really not the strongest country in Europe in this sports) middle Sandra Szabóova joined Potsdam - also I hope, that she can keep up with our leagues level.

• Bulgarian NT player Silvana Chaushéva from Busto Arsizio (like Sarah Wilhyte for Stuttgart too short times on court there) comes as OH to Potsdam. Since in Bulgarian NT she is labeled OPP, she might also occasionally replace Marta Drpa?

• Slovakian NT player Nikola Radosová to Dresden. I'm not convinced, that she is such a great enforcement, to be honest.

She never came back to the level she had before her ACL injury in Potsdam. If she can play as she recently did in European League (at least according to the stats), she can do ok, but I suppose she won't be any better than Hodanova/Jasper have been last season.

• well, in Bielsko-Biała Radosova was just horrible :wacko:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• When I now consider Dresdens more or less completed roster (I guess, only some second league players will have dual license option additionally), I think, that the only progress they made is hiring Lena Stigrot. Compared to Stuttgart I think the comparison is still the same, Stuttgart should be still stronger than Dresden, especially the opposite Krystal Rivers of Stuttgart should be at least as strong as Dresdens Piia Korhonen.