2014 USA NCAA Division 1 Championship for Women

• Third Rounds highlights

Stanford had a four-set blowout of Oregon State. The Beavers played tough, but the Cardinal probably should have won in 3.
    Florida and Illinois in a long-five set match
    Texas was too strong for Colorado State.
    North Carolina dominated the fourth set against the Ducks. It was a match of long point runs in each set. North Carolina reached the Quarterfinals for the first time.
    Nebraska and Washington did not disappoint last night. Nebraska dominated in the 2nd and 3rd sets, but let the Huskies get back in each of those sets Huskies fought of 7 or 8 set points in the second set. The fourth set was similar, but the Huskies came back to tie at 22. Each team split points through 27, then 2 in a row for the Huskers to win. 2.5 hours, and barely fit on my video recorder. If it went 5 I was screwed. The linesman had a horrible game, 3 clearly missed calls with balls at least 6 inches in in the fourth set. Huskies overcame those calls, but still could not send it to 5.
    BYU taking down Florida State by what they do best, which is blocking. 16 of them in 4 sets. The West Coast Conference has not had a team in the Final Four since 2005, and BYU with their ability to block could get it done.
    Wisconsin was on the edge last night against conference rival Ohio State. A close match throughout, but Wisconsin survived.
    Penn State after the first set was in the drivers seat against UCLA. Karsta Lowe has been the offense for the Bruins all year, but against Penn State, that does not work and the Nittany Lions advanced.

Quarterfinals, what to watch for:
    Stanford has not really been challenged in the tournament so far, but Florida will be a challenge. They are better than their seed ranking with a win over Texas late in the season. It will be a battle of the middles with Inky Ajanaku (Stanford) and Rhamat Alhassan (Florida).
    Texas is looking to go back to the Final 4, which seems to be their destination every year. North Carolina has never gotten this far in the tournament, but I doubt they can get by Texas.
    Nebraska against BYU will be an interesting matchup. Can BYU's blocking over come the balanced lineup for the Huskers?
    Wisconsin and Penn State is a rematch of last year's final, which Penn State won. Penn State also defeated Wisconsin earlier this season. Penn State will also want to prove that they should have been the champions of the Big Ten regular season and not Wisconsin.

• Nebraska always makes surprises! :white:

On the other side this means Vansant ended her college career without winning the title. ;( Do you remeber her last year, right after Washinton lost the final to Penn State crying? ;(

HERE I wonder how does she feel falling before F4! ;(

• Results of Matches from Quarterfinals

Quarterfinals December 13
    Ames Regional
    1 Stanford (33-1) def. 8 Florida (28-4) 3-0 (25-17, 25-22, 25-21), Alex Holston (Florida) 17 points & Morgan Boukather (Stanford) 13 points
    Both teams executed at a high level Stanford was at .410 while Florida was at .343 for hitting percentage.
    Stanford would get a long points run early in the set, and Florida would have to try to come back. In the third set they were able to tie the score at 21, but Stanford took the next four points to win the match.
    Stanford has not won the NCAA title since 2004

Minneapolis Regional
    2 Texas (27-2) def. 7 North Carolina (29-3) 3-1 (25-21, 18-25, 25-20, 31-29), Lauren McAdoo (North Carolina) 15 points & Haley Eckerman (Texas) 17 points
    Long exciting rallys in this match, the fourth set was impressive
    Texas was very good at using all of the offensive players, 4 with 10+ kills
    Texas is looking for their first NCAA title since 2012.

Seattle Regional
    BYU (29-4) def. 14 Nebraska (23-10) 3-0 (25-21, 25-20, 25-21), Jennifer Hamson (BYU) 13 points & Amber Rolfzen (Nebraska) 13 points
    This was a match of blocking with 20 between the 2 teams (BYU with 12)
    BYU used a different setter in this match and it looks like it did not matter
    BYU spread the ball well with 4 hitters with 8+ kills
    Second time for BYU to the women's Final Four, first since 1993
    Nebraska had been ranked in the AVCA polls above BYU, so this was a bit of an upset

Louisville Regional
    5 Penn State (34-3) def. 4 Wisconsin (31-3) 3-1 (22-25, 25-16, 25-22, 25-19) Aiyana Whitney (Penn State) 17 points & Courtney Thomas (Wisconsin) 17 points
    Lauren Carlini (Wisconsin), setter, twisted her ankle on a block in the first set. She came out, but went back into the match later in the set. She was slower and favoring her ankle the rest of the match.
    Penn State was better and injury did help a bit, but not enough to affect the result. Penn State had defeated Wisconsin earlier in the year.
    Both teams had a lot of errors and hit under .200

Semifinals December 18
    1 Stanford (33-1) vs. 5 Penn State (34-3)
    BYU (29-4) vs. 2 Texas (27-2)

Final December 20
    Semifinal winners

• Results of Matches from Semifinals

Semifinals December 18
    1 Stanford (33-1) vs. 5 Penn State (34-3)

BYU (30-4) def. 2 Texas (27-3) 3-1 (25-23, 25-16, 17-25, 26-24), Jennifer Hamson (BYU) 25, Alexa Gray (BYU) 20 & Chiaka Ogkobu (Texas) 20
    The first set was close, but BYU took it. In the second BYU's block gave them a big lead, which Texas could not overcome. In the third, Texas scored the final 8 points to take it.
    Fourth sets was very tight. A controversial touch call by the down ref at 24 all gave BYU a one point lead and the serve. Hamson hits of the Texas block for the 2 point lead.
    17 blocks for BYU to 14 for Texas
    Texas did not pass well the entire match and BYU becomes the first unseeded team to reach the Final.

Final December 20
    vs. BYU (30-4)

• Results of Matches from Semifinals

Semifinals December 18
    5 Penn State (35-3) def. 1 Stanford (33-2) 3-1 (25-16, 23-25, 25-22, 25-21), Megan Courtney (Penn State) 26, Ali Frantti (Penn State) 19 & Brittany Howard (Stanford) 14
    Penn State went big run in the first set and Stanford could not get back in the set.
    In the second Stanford was up 21-14, then Penn State ran of 6 points, but Stanford kept ahead to take the set.
    In the fourth Penn State went on a 6 point run in the middle of the set to get the lead and held it to win.
    Megan Courtney was just great for Penn State with 23 kills, 2 block and 1 ace.
    Stanford has been a great blocking team all year, but they were out blocked 10 to 6.
    Penn State is going for the 7th national championship

BYU (30-4) def. 2 Texas (27-3) 3-1 (25-23, 25-16, 17-25, 26-24), Jennifer Hamson (BYU) 25, Alexa Gray (BYU) 20 & Chiaka Ogkobu (Texas) 20
    The first set was close, but BYU took it. In the second BYU's block gave them a big lead, which Texas could not overcome. In the third, Texas scored the final 8 points to take it.
    Fourth sets was very tight. A controversial touch call by the down ref at 24 all gave BYU a one point lead and the serve. Hamson hits of the Texas block for the 2 point lead.
    17 blocks for BYU to 14 for Texas
    Texas did not pass well the entire match and BYU becomes the first unseeded team to reach the Final.

Final December 20
    5 Penn State (35-3) vs. BYU (30-4)

• Completely unexpected! :white:

Stanford vs Penn State for the history: who wins has the chace to be the most titled volleyball programs. Both have 6 titles (Stanford used to be most titled University for years, but lately Penn State won 5 times DI with its gold generation (Fawcett, Harmotto, Hodge, Glass, Wilson, Brown, McClendon, Carpenter, D'Errico...)

• The final is less than half an hour away. I think Penn State will win.
    Saw the semis and I have to say they just have the wider range of possibilities. That and Micha Hancock....

....so could someone explain to me the rules they use. I got confused seeing liberos serving and players being substituted mutliple times.

• ....so could someone explain to me the rules they use. I got confused seeing liberos serving and players being substituted mutliple times.

For the most complete answer, you can download the official rule book (free) from this link: http://www.ncaapublications.co…015-volleyball-rules.aspx :)
    As you said, liberos can serve, and each team gets 15 substitutes per set.

• congratulations to 5 Penn State to win their 6th title in 8 years.

Micha Hancock could be a great setter in the future, she definately deserves the MVP of this year....
    and also Megan Courtney is still impressing and convincing for the 3-0 win over BYU.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Really an impressive win by Penn State!
    Second set could have gone both ways and had BYU claimed it... who knows, but from then on it was all Penn State.