Brazilian League 2016/2017

• Suelen refused to be on the NT last time she was called by Zé Roberto. Actually, she and Bia refused it together. Many people confirm they are/were a couple. I don't know what led to this attitude by both of them but maybe they knew they had only small chances to play back then. Let's see what happens this year.

• Sady news for Rio!!! It's getting harder and harder to stand a volleyball team... :sos:

Superliga will experience a new ranking system next season. Teams can sign with two foreign players and two 7-point players. No limit for the others.
    7-point players: Thaísa, Sheilla, Dani Lins, Fernanda Garay, Natália, Fabiana, Gabi, Tandara and Jaqueline.

I don't think experience is such a problem to a team. Talent is. Players with no experience will get on this quad. China is a good example. Tell me how much experience they had before the olympic cycle? And they managed to win the Olympic Games. It really doesn't matter. They are good and that's enough.

In my opinion, last olympic cycle showed some new issues that makes me wonder if we'll be able to solve them. First and most important, teams had improved their float serve. Teams tecnically better like Japan, Brazil and USA that depends on passing to play their fast and overall game are having problems to come to grips with their passing. It makes the game more physical and teams with strong pin hitters like Serbia and China can take advantage of it. Until our passing line aren't able to control the opponent's float serve it will be hard to us because we won't be able to play with our middles like we used to and also the setter won't play so fast. The main problem is that our best wing-spikers right now (Gabi and Natália) aren't that good at passing. Besides, we don't have a libero like Fabi anymore. I guess Camila would be the best choice if she wanted to but Fabi is just out of her league. Last quad showed to us that no matter whether Camila or Leia we won't be that consistent like we used to when Fabi was there. While Fabi played Brazil went through the final in every competition for 8 years. Without her we lost our first semi-final in so many years at the World Championship. Camila was playing a good championship individually but we couldn't count on her to put our passing on safe. Jaque was in trouble and she didnd't cover her. Fabi was always throwing herself in front of the wing-spikers on these situations, leading our passing line and so on. Camila is very good but she isn't that kind of a player. Leia did her best at the Olympics and maybe deserved the spot but it's also not the same.
    We must understand that our new players are good but we cannot expect from them the same performance of Fofão, Sheilla, Fabi, Fabiana, Thaísa, Jaqueline, Paula Pequeno, Mari, Walewska, etc. ;) It has nothing to do with experience. Zé could have given all the experience for them, what we would have taken from it aside not winning many tournaments as we did, being eliminated sooner from big competitions and so on?

• I agree with u, if you are good you don`t need experience, and China is the perfect example. But at the same time, which player is different, and not every player will be like Zhu, Zhang Channing,Yuan, Boskovic or Egonu that will be on the top of their game at such a young age, and Lang Ping did her own "thing" in building this young, tall and talented Chinese team. Whatever she did worked, but she had to work very hard to make it happen and not every coach can do what she did.

And just like someone mentioned, when Sheila joined the NT she was not very consistent, as far as I can remember she played at the 2002 WCH and she was a back=up for Luciana. But 3 years later she became one of the best OP in the world and the rest is history. As you can see, she did not make to the OG at age of 19 like Boskovic, but she made it later when she was (I`m not sure how old she was in 2008, maybe 25?), took a while for here to get there, and that it is how it is for mostly players.

They do need a few years of playing to gain "experience" to reach their full potential, not everyone can be like Zhu/Zhanning/Yuan etc.

• QUARTER FINALS 2nd ROUND

FLUMINENSE F.C. 0x3 VÔLEI NESTLÉ* stats video
    Fluminense: Renatinha (OPP) 9, Letícia Hage (MB) 7, Ju Costa (OH) 6;
    Vôlei Nestlé: Tandara (OH) & Bia (MB) 14, Nati Martins (MB) 13;
    MVP: Nati Martins (MB)
    *Vôlei Nestlé in semifinal!

REXONA-SESC* 3x0 PINHEIROS E.C. stats video
    Rexona: Gabi (OH) 15, Monique (OPP) & Anne Buijs (OH) 13;
    Pinheiros: Lana (OH) 10, Lays (MB) 8, Vanessa (OH) 7;
    MVP: Gabi (OH)
    *Rexona in semifinal!

• Mari has been useless so far in the match of Bauru VS Minas. Kinda sad to see this because she is one of my favorite players of all time. I don't know what had happened to her. If you see the women from her days post-Athens, most of them are still performing well. Jaque, Paula, even Sassa. I know she suffered a lot of injuries but it seems like most of the time she doesn't give her best -- giving chance ball to the opponent. I think she should just retire.

• I really don`t know what happened to her, and the problem is not even that she is not playing good, the problem is that she is not having fun, she looks uncomfortable, like is she does not belong on the court, she has no confidence at all. Is sad to watch her, I do hope she retires or just go back play in the Philippines.

Bauru, what I can say? They had 2-0, and then 20-17(not sure if was in the 3rd or 4th set) in the first game and they just blew it, really bad, really ugly, Today they had a hot start and once again blew it. But I can`t understand Marcos, Thaisinha can`t block of course, but at least she scored 20 points in the first game, and today he decides to start with Mari? :down: .

I`m glad Brasilia won and i hope to get at least one upset in these playoffs. Let`s see in Minas can play better this time against Rexona and pull a upset.

• I really don`t know what happened to her, and the problem is not even that she is not playing good, the problem is that she is not having fun, she looks uncomfortable, like is she does not belong on the court, she has no confidence at all. Is sad to watch her, I do hope she retires or just go back play in the Philippines.

Bauru, what I can say? They had 2-0, and then 20-17(not sure if was in the 3rd or 4th set) in the first game and they just blew it, really bad, really ugly, Today they had a hot start and once again blew it. But I can`t understand Marcos, Thaisinha can`t block of course, but at least she scored 20 points in the first game, and today he decides to start with Mari? :down: .

I`m glad Brasilia won and i hope to get at least one upset in these playoffs. Let`s see in Minas can play better this time against Rexona and pull a upset.

I know, right? I know she is always an ice queen on court but back then her performance speaks for itself. She is one of the most formidable players, can play both outside and opposite position very well. But after she get cut from London, she is no longer the same. Sometimes she just hit the ball over or roll the ball over to give the opponent an easy counter attack opportunity. She actually went to Indonesia last season. But playing in Asian league will give her height advantage, so playing in the Philippines will do good for her. I don't think playing in America or Europe is suitable for her anymore.

I still think Rexona will win it again this year. Destinee Hooker is one amazing player, but the difference between Rexona and all the other team is that while all these other teams has 1 or 2 scoring amchine, Rexona has 5 players that can score. Juciely and Carol are good in blocking and attacking. Gabi is one of the best outside hitters right now. Anne is lethal if she can get it right. And Monique has been consistently good through out the entire game. And not to mention they have Fabi.

It will be a battle between Minas, Osasco, and Rexona for the final spot imo.

• Just hope Rosamaria's injury isn't serious :white:

Did she get injured? Oh nooooo.... Minas will need her against Rexona, I guess that happened in the end of the 3rd set?, I did not see that because I stopped watching mid-way the 3rd set ( I knew Bauru was gonna loose).

• Rexona is the favorite, but I do think Minas can win. Hooker is amazing, but sometimes she can be very flat and predictable just like she was the 3 times they played Rexona this season, But if she overcomes that, you can`t stop her. And Rosamaria was having a GREAT season, her level dropped towards the end of regular season. I think she was or still is the 2nd or 3rd Best score, if she plays her best, is hard to stop her also and she can make smart plays, plus Mara and Gataz are great blockers. Naine has some ups and downs, but it is understandable once she is only 21. And of course you have JAQUE to lead them with her experience and take care of the load on the back.

We will see what happens... :box:

• QUARTER FINAL 2nd ROUND

TERRACAP/BRASÍLIA VÔLEI 3x0 DENTIL/PRAIA CLUBE stats video
    Brasília: Amanda (OH) 13, Vivian (MB) 12 -5 blocks-, Paula Pequeno (OH) 10;
    Praia Clube: Walewska (MB) 14, Michelle (OH) 11, Alix Klineman (OH) 8;
    MVP: Amanda (OH)
    1-1, third game on saturday!

GENTER VÔLEI BAURU 0x3 CAMPONESA/MINAS* stats video
    Bauru: Bruna (OPP) 13, Prisilla Rivera (OH) 10, Valquíria (MB) 7;
    Minas: Destinee Hooker (OPP) 20, Rosamaria (OH) 12, Carol Gattaz (MB) 11;
    MVP: Destinee Hooker (OPP)
    *Minas in semifinal!

SEMIFINALS

REXONA-SESC x CAMPONESA/MINAS
    VÔLEI NESTLÉ x DENTIL/PRAIA CLUBE or TERRACAP/BRASÍLIA VÔLEI

• I notice Hooker is trying to learn Portuguese. Is there any rumors of her to Brazilian NT?

• 9 players that are part of the Ranking System are threatening taking it to the Justice Department. (Dani Lins, Fabiana,Jaqueline,Sheila,Thaisa,Gabi,Natalia.Tandara,Fe Garay.

http://espn.uol.com.br/noticia…ing-da-superliga-de-volei

Rexona,Osasco,Minas and Praia Clube could sign 2 of these players, that would leave only 1 player out. So what`s their problem?

Is the problem that Minas and Praia Clube has no money to sign 2 of them? or basically they just wants to play for Osasco and Rio? Basically they should just have 2 teams in the League, Osasco and Rio, because without the ranking, only Osasco and Rio can compete.

• So what`s their problem?

Their problem is that most of them want to play in Nestlé/Osasco (Fe Garay, Sheilla, Thaisa, Tandara, probably Jaqueline...). Just like what happened after London olympics, when the team had 4 starters from the Olympics and other 3 possible starters.
    They don't care that the team hasn't won anything important in the past 5 years, they only care about the money.
    Rexona can't afford two of these players (maybe Thaísa, now that she is injuried and underplaying). Praia might be able to pay two of them as their budget has increased a lot in the past few years, but I'm not sure if most of them would want to play there.

• Vow, so they only care about money. I understand that, but it sucks. And by not even wanting to play in Praia Clube it shows how much they look down on the other teams :wacko: .

And they said, the ranking never worked, but it has, Sesi and Praia Clube finally made to the final and finally it was not Rexona vs Osasco as usual.
    This Superliga was the most competitive ever, Bauru, Pinheiros, Fluminense played well, now Brasilia has a change to make to the semis. Minas could end upsetting Rexona. And it should just keep getting better.

But if we go back to all the NT players playing for either Rexona or Osasco, we will go back to the Superliga being about only 2 teams ;(

• Dammit Ellen, :aww: ...I wanted Brasilia to win to cause a upset and not to have the same 4 finalist from last season. Brasilia was playing well ....but then Ellen comes in and she really changed the direction of the game :wacko: . I like Ellen, I just wish she had not played well tonight. :kiss: .

Macris is fantastic, she can set so many balls with only one hand, so impressive. And that is what a setter is supposed to do, trying everything she can to make a set instead of trying to attack the ball. Her and Skorupa are the best setters right now when it comes to setting in the middle. She should for sure be in the NT, I think she`s playing better than Dani Lins.

For next season I hope Brasilia and Bauru don`t loose any sponsor and they can keep getting stronger.

• QUARTER FINAL 3rd ROUND

DENTIL/PRAIA CLUBE 3x1 TERRACAP/BRASÍLIA VÔLEI stats video
    Praia Clube: Alix Klineman (OH) 19, Ellen Braga (OH) 17, Walewska (MB) 12;
    Brasília: Roberta (MB) 11, Vivian (MB) & Paula Pequeno (OH) 10;
    MVP: Ellen (OH)

SEMIFINALS

(best of 5)

REXONA-SESC x CAMPONESA/MINAS - 1st game on Friday 31
    VÔLEI NESTLÉ x DENTIL/PRAIA CLUBE

• Ellen Braga was the protagonist of the third match between Praia Clube and Brasilia. I was cheering for the Brasilia team but the Beach showed why it is a great team and could not stay out of the Semi-finals