Japan - V.Premier League 2016-2017

• Often Japan will send a lower finishing team to the Asian Club Championships.

Do you mean a B Type Team or a team that didn't actually win the V.League?

I get that there are reasons for the B team decisions but it seems like software code written over a very old subsystem that grew faster than the hardware could support. I'll get used to this new form of sport competition, like, for example, it's okay to think NEC has a 2nd string that ought to be worth supporting.

• I was googling around trying to find the difference between a 'perfect' reception and an 'excellent' one, as I see these mentioned in stats sometimes. I still don't know. Nor do I understand the Libero rules about front and back, over vs under handed setting, and how they relate to whether the ball is above the top of the net. I've got a long way to go.

Somewhere in that journey I came across an Australian Coach blogger blogging about some U19 tournament a few years ago. Japan was playing Thailand and Sarina Koga came down from a block and landed on an opponent attackers foot. She was carried off the court, I believe. Then the Japanese setter did the same thing and hobbled off the court. The Japanese spiker extraordinaire and Captain Mighty Mouse Mizuki Yanagita took over setting duties and they played on. I think they eventually lost in the Gold Medal match to gigantic China, but no matter. I also read that during the warmup phase before the game Yanagita and the Libero walked back and forth across the court on their hands! I am therefore moving the diminutive Mizuki to the top of my favorite players list. I know that at 5'5" she's a gamble but gawd I hope she makes NT. :super:

• I think each League might have their own rules. For example if you look at the stats in Italy, almost everyone has high "perfect" or "positive" reception. But if you watch a game you can see that is not always the case, but they still consider that positive or excellent.

I was googling around trying to find the difference between a 'perfect' reception and an 'excellent' one,

• I think each League might have their own rules. For example if you look at the stats in Italy, almost everyone has high "perfect" or "positive" reception.

Is the gist of it, in layman's terms, that if you receive it and pass it successfully to the setter in front of the front line thing, that would be "perfect". But if you receive it and it goes gosh knows where but your team doesn't lose a point until someone else touches it, that's 'positive'? (And, of course, if you flub it and lose a point, that's a 'receiving error'?)

• I'm not good with numbers. Please correct me if I'm wrong so I don't miss it. The Women's All Star games are Friday March 24, PST

7:00pm ~ V · Challenge League Ⅰ · Ⅱ All-Star Game
    10:00pm ~ V · Premier League All-Star Game

• Sarina Koga were named for MVP of the season

Koga is growing on me. Congratulations Sarina!

I think she has more VB IQ than she shows. And I think she can hit the ball a lot harder than she usually does. She was smackin' it in the Final Hisamitsu match. She's got one of the better mid-speed sinkers I've seen, and receives pretty well. She reacts quickly, but doesn't then move that quickly, so if the ball is in range of a reaction, she's got it, but if she has to move or dive for it all bets are off. Lots of potential with her. I hope she learns to be more sneaky.

Is there a place where stats are available for things like Kill percentage, blocks, etc., across the team?

I think I saw that Nikolova was named MVB of the Finals, but that web site is so clunky I can't find it again.

• I don`t know the or one website where you can find that.

Oh, I did not know Nikolova was named MVP of the finals. That`s nice and fair, Nikolova was the best in the finals, but if remember she did not even play in all games, some games in the regular season, she was just sub in some of them. And Koga played more during the whole season. Yeah, Koga just needs to learn how to be more consistent, let`s see how she does against the big girls in the WCH.

• All Star games are Friday March 24, PST

7:00pm ~ V · Challenge League Ⅰ · Ⅱ All-Star Game
    10:00pm ~ V · Premier League All-Star Game

What was I thinking :aww:
    :wall:

For the 2018-2019 season, the V-League will try to become one of the top leagues in the world by creating a Superleague.

Some of the reasoning for the change is as follows:
    1. Make the league in which it carves out a future for volleyball
    2. Show that Japan is the country that loves volleyball most in the world

Sigh

• Guys, I haven't been on the site that last week because I have been flying across the country twice for an interview and getting ready to move because of it.

List of Award winners
    Championship Manager Award: Akinori Yamada (NEC)
    MVP Award: Sarina Koga (NEC)
    Fighting Spirit Award : Yuki Ishii (Hisamitsu)
    Best 6: Polina Rahimova (Toyota Auto Body), Sarina Koga (NEC), Miyu Nagaoka (Hisamitsu), Erika Araki (Toyota Auto Body), Kana Ono (NEC), Kaname Yamaguchi (NEC)
    Best Libero: Arisa Sato (Hitachi)
    Best Newcomer: Momoka Oda (Toyota Auto Body)
    V-League Honor Awards: Saori Sakoda (Toray, 230 matches), Saori Kimura (Toray, 230 matches), Chizuru Kotoh (Hisamitsu, 230 matches), Mizuho Ishida (Denso, 230 matches), Risa Shinnabe (Hisamitsu, personal record (I can't find which one))
    Achievement Award: Saori Kimura (Toray)

• Guys, I haven't been on the site that last week because I have been flying across the country twice for an interview and getting ready to move because of it.

Sounds like congratulations are in order! :drink: And thank you for all that you contribute to the forum. :thumbup:

• The last set or so of the All Star Game in typical crud stream. No carnival atmosphere. A regular game, except points are funny instead of joyful. Kind of weirdly sad. :rolll: And boring ;(

• In case anybody cares, that Poohsan1053 YouTuber posted the Japanese All-Star game in HD with his whimsical editing style.

Set 1
    Set 2
    Set 3
    Set 4

It's worth watching if you like the players (unlike my previously posted bit in crappy stream). It's still serious, not fun except for a moment where a couple coaches come on for a couple plays; there's a back and forth between Saori and Sarina that's touching and cute (in which you can't help but see a torch passing); and the setters keep setting to the Liberos until they get a kill.

It's also interesting to see why/that these girls are the All-Stars. Even in a game that doesn't matter, they can't help but toss off some great digs and such. The crowd gasps at some Rahimova whacks.

It's unclear to me how this was scored or how they chose sides. And I think one team won three straight sets but they played a fourth just for the heck of it.

• The team selection was listed earlier in the thread, fan voting choose one team and the other was selected by the league. If anyone thinks that at all-star game is serious, except in baseball, you are wrong.

• The team selection was listed earlier in the thread, fan voting choose one team and the other was selected by the league. If anyone thinks that at all-star game is serious, except in baseball, you are wrong.

That team selection scenario was not used. At least not completely. Yanagita played against Oumi. The two Euros played with Saori. The two Saori's played against one another; Watanabe was with Sakoda, to name a few.

You should check it out. There's no lollypoppin' the ball over. Many great digs. Very different in tone from the Chinese and Korean games I watched. It's at least 'serious' in comparison, except for the few instances I pointed out.