Japan - V.Premier League 2016-2017

• So 2nd and 3rd (at the end of tomorrow) will play a match to see who plays the #1 for a Final. You don't mean a single "set" do you. I think brahmin explained this but I can't find it right now, and I seem to recall there was something surprising to me.

Watanabe is the closest I've seen to Saori's mother hen style. And she seems quite skilled, too. I can't believe this is the Internet and I don't have a place to go that will tell me how old Watanabe is and how long she's been playing. grr . Well, if I could read Japanese ....

• 2nd and 3rd will play a whole game ( not a set).

Yeah is hard to find info on the Japanese players if you dont know Japanese...

But the league should have a official website. I don`t know it, maybe Brahmin knows it.

and the Rockets are leading 1-0 and 10-7 in the 2nd set. 8o

• damn, I never got the stream

• I was wondering why there was such a big points gap in the 3rd set between NEC & Hisamitsu. I hope Nagaoka injury is not too bad and that she come back quickly.

Yeah is hard to find info on the Japanese players if you dont know Japanese...

But the league should have a official website. I don`t know it, maybe Brahmin knows it.

The Japanese V-League does have an official website, here the link www.vleague.or.jp/

I use Chrome and it translate most foreign website for me, the translation is definitely nowhere near perfect but it give you an idea on how to navigate around the website. This is how I get my info for both the Japanese and Korean V-League when I don't even know either languages.

Watanabe is the closest I've seen to Saori's mother hen style. And she seems quite skilled, too. I can't believe this is the Internet and I don't have a place to go that will tell me how old Watanabe is and how long she's been playing. grr . Well, if I could read Japanese ....

Hisae Watanabe (渡邊 久惠) profile from Hitachi website and V-League website, Japanese wikipaedia. Sorry the websites are not in English. If you don't use Chrome, you can just paste these links into Google Translate

• March 4, 2017, Final 6 Match 4 (Day 3) & Match 5 (Day 1) of 5

NEC Red Rockets 3-0 Hisamitsu Springs (25-22, 25-23, 25-13)
    Emiliya Nikolova (NEC) 32 (2b, 1a), Akari Oumi (NEC) 10 (2b), Sarina Koga (NEC) 8, Kana Ohno (NEC) 8 (2b), Kaori Ueno (NEC) 4 (2b), Kaname Yamaguchi (NEC) 1, Miku Torigoe (NEC) L, Haruyo Shimamura (NEC) sub 4 (1b), Misaki Yamauchi (NEC) sub 1 (1a), Mizuki Yanagita (NEC) sub 0
    Miyu Nagaoka (Hisamitsu) 10, Maja Tokarska (Hisamitsu) 9 (3b), Yuki Ishii (Hisamitsu) 9, Risa Shinnabe (Hisamitsu) 8, Nana Iwasaka (Hisamitsu) 6, Ayano Nakaoji (Hisamitsu) 2 (1b), Sayaka Tsutsui (Hisamitsu) L, Rika Nomoto (Hisamitsu) sub 4, Chizuru Kotoh (Hisamitsu) sub 0, Erika Sakae (Hisamitsu) sub 0, Risa Ishibashi (Hisamitsu) sub 0, Mana Toe (Hisamitsu) sub L

Toyota Auto Body Queenseis 1-3 Toray Arrows (21-25, 25-23, 17-25, 17-25)
    Polina Rahimova (Toyota) 24 (1b, 5a), Momoka Oda (Toyota) 11 (1b, 1a), Saori Takahashi (Toyota) 8 (2b), Erika Araki (Toyota) 8 (1b, 2a), Miyuki Hiramatsu (Toyota) 5 (1b), Misato Sakakibara (Toyota) L, Momoko Higane (Toyota) 0, Nao Muranaga (Toyota) sub 2, Saki Takeda (Toyota) sub 0, Ayano Tsuji (Toyota) sub 0, Akari Takeuchi (Toyota) sub 0
    Saori Kimura (Toray) 22 (2b), Carly Wopat (Toray) 15 (1b), Saori Sakoda (Toray) 14 (1a), Mari Horikawa (Toray) 11 (1a), Kaho Ohno (Toray) 7 (3b, 1a), Kanami Tashiro (Toray) 3 (1b, 1a), Misato Kimura (Toray) L, Saki Minemura (Toray) sub 0, Asuka Nomura (Toray) sub 0, Nozomi Itoh (Toray) sub 0, Shino Nakata (Toray) sub 0, Miku Nakashima (Toray) sub L

Final 6 Standings
    Rank, Team, Match Points, Match Wins, Sets Won-Sets Lost
    1. NEC Red Rockets 14, 3, 9-4 (4 played) *
    ----- Advance Directly to Final Matches -----
    2. Hisamitsu Springs 10, 3, 10-12
    3. Hitachi Rivale 9, 2, 8-9 (4 played)
    ----- Advance to Final 3 (Semifinal) -----
    4. Toyota Auto Body Queenseis 8, 2, 10-9
    5. Toray Arrows 7, 2, 10-9 (4 played)
    6. JT Marvelous 6, 1, 6-10 (4 played)
    If tied on points, higher regular season position is tiebreaker
    * Clinched Final Matches berth

With the win over Hisamitsu, NEC advances directly to the Final. Nagaoka according to World of Volley had an ankle sprain, watching their replay, you can't see it because a player is in the way, but if not an ankle, then possibly knee. If knee, forget the national team this year. If ankle, then Hisamitsu might not have her for the Final 3 if they make it. NEC basically got no help from Koga today with only 8 points, but Nikolova had her best game of the year with 32 points in 3 sets (29 kills on 56 hits). Considering NEC is very balanced, this was a little weird when I saw the stats.

With the win by Toray today, they are only remaining team outside of the Top 3 with a chance of making the Final 3. Saori Kimura led Toray in scoring today to give them a chance on the Final Day of the Final 6 tomorrow.

Here is the quick breakdown for tomorrow's matches
    Toray vs. NEC
    Toray must win in less than 5 sets, this would give them 10 points. Hisamitsu would clinch a Final 6 berth with Toray win as teams would tie on points and first tiebreaker is regular season position, which Hisamitsu was 2nd and Toray was 6th.
    The win would put Toray above Hitachi before the last match of the Final 6.

Hitachi vs. JT
    If Toray goes 5 sets, even with a win, Hitachi would already be at 9 points, and Toray would match. Hitachi would win regular season tiebreaker before the match would be played.
    If Toray wins in less than five, Hitachi must win to advance to Final 3.

With you guys asking about the Final 3 and Finals. The VLeague changed from single match to 2 matches in each round, similar to that of the CEV Playoffs.
    Tiebreakers are as follows:
    1. Wins
    If tied at 1 match each, a 25 point golden set (slightly different than that of CEV of 15 points)

Sato is a very common name, but Arisa and Miya are not related.

• Toyota blew their changes last night, if they had won and if Hitache wins tonight, Hisamitsu would be out. But depending on Rahimova to score all the time does not work. I hope Rahimova does not stays in Japan, I want to see her in Europe next season.

Nikolova did set up last night and took control.
    I will be surprised if Toray wins, but once Rockets are in the final, they may not play 100%, and if Toray wins, and Hitache looses...I think would not be a bad idea for them leaving Hitache out once Hitache is stronger than Toray.

And I don`t know how Hisamitsu will play without Nagaoka, and Tokarsha is still not getting enough balls.

• I was monitoring 3 different channels last night and the NEC game never came on. Where did you guys watch it? I finally found it this morning at Sport Volleyball. It didn't have the Betting thing, and had announcers. Nikalova pwned it. Koga was nearly invisible but Oumi did well.

I hope Nagaoka isn't serious. I watched the video and couldn't tell what happened. It didn't look like she came down on someone's foot. You couldn't really see, but there didn't look like there was a moment of impact-trauma. She just came down and then went down. And then three men couldn't figure out how to carry her off. The girls had to come help. Geez.

This is how I get my info for both the Japanese and Korean V-League when I don't even know either languages.

I grabbed Chrome and checked that out. It works well enough. Thanks for the tip.

• You folks know I'm new and having fun, but seeing where Hisamitsu is now, and depending on how things play out to the end, I'd replace Nagaoka (sorry), Shinnabe, and Ishii on the NT with Watanabe, Horikawa, and Oumi in a heartbeat. :teach:

• This website is the betting one, the games will only show up on the sidebar when the game is live. Tonight at 8pm and 10pm Pacific time.
    http://videostream.dn.ua/video…WR1cA%E2%84%96f%E2%84%96f

also on youtube ( you can always go on the "Live" and "Sports" channel, and you should find it.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2nTb2BPvAsPOjVBnGF8HRQ

Well, Nagaoka has not been playing her best lately, but she is still very useful for the National Team. And some players will play great in club but won`t do well with the NT, but I do think Watanabe deserves a change in the NT.

The Grand Prix following the Olympics is always interesting because we will see a lot of new faces...

• Ohmi (can be read Oumi, technically spelled correctly in romanized Japanese but still has a long O sound in Japanese Oh) has not be named to the 25 player roster for the national team in any of the last 3 years. Nagaoka and Sakoda basically replace each other, plus you've got Ebata at the same position too.

Watanabe has also not been on the roster either. Horikawa was on junior national teams, but not the top team yet.

also on youtube ( you can always go on the "Live" and "Sports" channel, and you should find it.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2nTb2BPvAsPOjVBnGF8HRQ

That's my go to place. I believe you pointed me there earlier. But that's where it didn't come on for me. It's not there now as a "Past Live Stream". If you watched it there I'm gonna call for an investigation. ?(

The Grand Prix following the Olympics is always interesting because we will see a lot of new faces...

I'm just having fun and a little :obey: towards these three new faces to me (Horikawa, Watanabe, Oumi).

• Hmm ... can't get the VideoStream site to work with Chrome, which supposedly has Flash built in.

{update} Got it

• Saori!

Like a weird spasm at the top of her calf. That first step looked awkward.

• March 5, 2017, Final 6 Match 5 (Day 2) of 5

NEC Red Rockets 3-1 Toray Arrows (20-25, 28-26, 25-22, 25-15)
    Sarina Koga (NEC) 17 (1a), Emiliya Nikolova (NEC) 15, Kana Ohno (NEC) 14 (1b, 1a), Akari Oumi (NEC) 13 (1b), Kaname Yamaguchi (NEC) 4 (4a), Kaori Ueno (NEC) 2 (1b), Miku Torigoe (NEC) L, Haruyo Shimamura (NEC) sub 8 (1a), Mizuki Yanagita (NEC) sub 4, Rina Sho (NEC) sub 0, Misaki Yamauchi (NEC) sub 0
    Saori Kimura (Toray) 18 (2b), Mari Horikawa (Toray) 18 (1b, 2a), Carly Wopat (Toray) 9 (2b), Kaho Ohno (Toray) 9 (1a), Saori Sakoda (Toray) 6 (1b), Kanami Tashiro (Toray) 2 (1b), Misato Kimura (Toray) L, Asuka Nomura (Toray) sub 4, Nozomi Itoh (Toray) sub 0, Misaki Shirai (Toray) sub 0, Shino Nakata (Toray) sub 0, Miku Nakashima (Toray) sub L

Hitachi Rivale 2-3 JT Marvelous (18-25, 18-25, 28-26, 25-16, 17-19)
    Cursty Jackson (Hitachi) 18 (3b), Mami Uchiseto (Hitachi) 16 (2b), Moemi Tohi (Hitachi) 11 (2b), Hisae Watanabe (Hitachi) 10, Maiha Haga (Hitachi) 4 (1b), Miya Satoh (Hitachi) 1 (1a), Arisa Satoh (Hitachi) L, Nanami Inoue (Hitachi) sub 12 (1a), Megumi Kurihara (Hitachi) sub 8, Kaori Mabashi (Hitachi) sub 0, Kana Shimohira (Hitachi) sub 0, Anna Koike (Hitachi) sub 0
    Mizuki Tanaka (JT) 21, Ayumi Nakamura (JT) 20 (2b, 2a), Yuka Kitsui (JT) 13 (1b, 1a), Mai Okumura (JT) 11 (3b), Yumi Terai (JT) 8 (3b), Misaki Tanaka (JT) 2 (1b), Mako Kobata (JT) L, Onuma Sittirak (JT) sub 7 (1b), Yuka Kanasugi (JT) sub 1, Kotoe Inoue (JT) sub 0, Mika Shibata (JT) sub 0

Final 6 Standings
    Rank, Team, Match Points, Match Wins, Sets Won-Sets Lost
    1. NEC Red Rockets 17, 4, 12-5
    ----- Advance Directly to Final Matches -----
    2. Hisamitsu Springs 10, 3, 10-12
    3. Hitachi Rivale 10, 2, 10-12
    ----- Advance to Final 3 (Semifinal) -----
    4. JT Marvelous 8, 2, 9-12
    5. Toyota Auto Body Queenseis 8, 2, 10-9
    6. Toray Arrows 7, 2, 11-12
    If tied on points, higher regular season position is tiebreaker

Final 3 Matches held at the Shimadzu Arena Kyoto March 11th and 12th, both matches with 13:08 JST (4:08 GMT) start time
    Hisamitsu Springs vs. Hitachi Rivale

Hisamitsu were 2-1 against Hitachi in the Regular Season, and Hitachi won the match in the Final 6.
    Biggest question is the health of Nagaoka for Hisamitsu. If she is not healthy, Hitachi will have a big advantage in the two matches.

• In my efforts to understand this competition (and get the score of last night's JT game) I stumbled on this App called FlashScore. In its "Standings" section they seem to have ranked the teams according to "Sets Won-Sets Lost" exclusively, and state that The Body Queens and Toray Arrows are promoted to the Playoff Semi-finals (NEC promoted to the Finals).

I fell asleep last night after JT took the first two sets, was surprised to see it went five sets.

Saori didn't return to the court after whatever it was that happened to her leg in the Toray game, but she did join her teammates standing in the corner for the last few points. I guess it was just a muscle spasm and not something serious.

It was again kind of funny watching a couple men trying to carry her off the court. You'd think they would have practiced this kind of thing.

• So, it was the last match for Saori... ;( Wish her all the best in personal life! It's a pity that she won't play for a medal in her last season...but she has been incredible for 15 years! :obey:

I still hope she will return for Tokyo 2020... maybe? :super:

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!