Japan - V.Premier League 2017-2018

• so Toyota and Denso will fight for the last spot in the final 3 supposing Hisamitsu and JT will be there, right??

Yes. But it's silly for V.League to call it a Final 3. JT is #1 and they don't have to play any more. Whoever wins Toyota/Denso must then get through Hisamitsu to get a chance at JT. JT is done, just waiting for who emerges.

I think there MIGHT be some mathematical way that Toyota could lose the match tonight against Denso in 5 sets and still go to the "final 3". But don't quote me on that. I got the regular round final standings wrong by not understanding the sequence of tie breaks. Wait and see if brahmin weighs in.

• Yes. But it's silly for V.League to call it a Final 3. JT is #1 and they don't have to play any more. Whoever wins Toyota/Denso must then get through Hisamitsu to get a chance at JT. JT is done, just waiting for who emerges.

I think there MIGHT be some mathematical way that Toyota could lose the match tonight against Denso in 5 sets and still go to the "final 3". But don't quote me on that. I got the regular round final standings wrong by not understanding the sequence of tie breaks. Wait and see if brahmin weighs in.

hımm...interesting...JT is alread at the final and waiting for its opponent Hisamistsu vs. Toyota/Denso ..

• 13:00 NEC Red Rockets v Toray Arrows ... 3–0 ... [25-19 , 25-16 , 25-21]
    15:00 Toyota Body Queens v Denso Airybees ... 3–1 ... [25-20 , 25-22 , 16-25 , 25-13]

I can't remember these matches much except that the NEC match felt like watching someone bully a disabled person (because I'm mad and disappointed with NEC so even a win looks ugly).

So Toyota plays Hisamitsu tonight and tomorrow night (8:00 & 7:00 PST respectively) to see who gets a shot at the Marvelous JT.

• i know you are new to the japanese league but...Hisamitsu vs.Toyota is going to be played over best of 3 ?
    what about the format of the finals ? single match like Brazilian league or ?
    had i asked this before ? 8|

is this already a succes for Toyota to play final 3 ? how far did they go last year ?

• i know you are new to the japanese league but...Hisamitsu vs.Toyota is going to be played over best of 3 ?

No, and this why I think the notion of "Final 3" is silly and confusing--at least for this american who's never experienced a Round Robin sports tournament before trying to understand volleyball, but I digress.

Hisamitsu will play TWO matches against Toyota this weekend. Only MATCH wins count. So WTF if Hisamitsu wins one and Toyota wins one? Well, they will play a GOLDEN SET after the second game. It's played to 25 (I think some Euros play these golden set things to 15). Whomever wins that golden set, should it be needed, will play TWO matches against JT next weekend for the FINAL--with a golden set if needed.

I don't even know how to look up or understand what Toyota did last year. It's like they finished 5th for the regular round and/but 2nd after the winners stage. I dunno. But, what's important is, I don't think they had our heroine Neriman or Erika Araki last year. So not very important.

• in turkish league
    current format/status: best of 3 for quarters ,semis and 3rd-4th place matches...and NO GOLDEN SET is played if the number of wins is tied at 1-1
    japanese format for the final 3 is different

• Wooo forum is back :obey:

I'm going to try and wake up early or sleep very late for the Toyota/Hisamitsu match today. I believe it will be a close and exciting one :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what time it is in Istanbul, but the match starts in 4 1/2 hours from now. This is a pretty for sure link which should have your local time listed. The link will probably remain online even if you can't catch it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDK_14pQg8U

I'm feeling pretty good about Toyota going into this. JT humiliated Hisamitsu last week and I think they are vulnerable. Toyota is riding high!

• I'm not sure what time it is in Istanbul, but the match starts in 4 1/2 hours from now. This is a pretty for sure link which should have your local time listed. The link will probably remain online even if you can't catch it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDK_14pQg8U

I'm feeling pretty good about Toyota going into this. JT humiliated Hisamitsu last week and I think they are vulnerable. Toyota is riding high!

Thanks for the link! :thumbsup: I'm not really a morning person but feel like this match will be worth waking up early for. :drink:
    4 hours will have to do.

• No, and this why I think the notion of "Final 3" is silly and confusing--at least for this american who's never experienced a Round Robin sports tournament before trying to understand volleyball, but I digress.

Hisamitsu will play TWO matches against Toyota this weekend. Only MATCH wins count. So WTF if Hisamitsu wins one and Toyota wins one? Well, they will play a GOLDEN SET after the second game. It's played to 25 (I think some Euros play these golden set things to 15). Whomever wins that golden set, should it be needed, will play TWO matches against JT next weekend for the FINAL--with a golden set if needed.

I don't even know how to look up or understand what Toyota did last year. It's like they finished 5th for the regular round and/but 2nd after the winners stage. I dunno. But, what's important is, I don't think they had our heroine Neriman or Erika Araki last year. So not very important.

Going back in V.League history, they used to have the top 4 teams have a round robin as the Final Round and the winner of that would be champion. In other years, 1st/3rd place matches as only one match, and that was even after a round robin. Once they shifted to 8 teams only in the top level, with 6 teams making the playoffs, they still wanted a semifinal. So the best team advances direct to the Final and a semifinal of the 2nd and 3rd place teams was decided. The reasoning for two matches is to make it similar to CEV's Champions League. Also because the league is played on weekends as players are employees of the businesses and need to get back to work on Monday (unless a holiday), hence no best of three. The reasoning for the 25-point golden set is probably to make the flow of the match a little similar to a normal match. The 15-point golden set may not allow a team to get back into the set if it gets behind.

• the league is played on weekends as players are employees of the businesses and need to get back to work on Monday

That is so weird :what:

• This was a Perfect Storm for me. A great match with the two-girl team commentating--they react with such joy and delight to the goings on. This was beautiful Japanese Volleyball. Long rallies, funny, amazing plays. Joy.

I haven't lost an ounce of hope for Toyota but you have to respect Hisamitsu. You can get 3 or 4 or 5 points ahead of them, but only up to 20. They don't give it to you after that. Then they beat you. That's what good players and teams do: they raise their game when it matters.

Somebody needs to explain to me what the ref move of raising the arm up and then folding it down from the elbow means or I'm going to believe Neriman got called, more than a few times, for reaching over the net when she was delivering from the backcourt. Carrying the ball?

Consider Hisamitsu: Risa Shinnabe, Nana Iwasaka, Yuki Ishii, Rika Nomoto. Those aren't just players with NT experience. That was the NT starting lineup for last year's WGCC. Add Chizuru Kotoh setting; a serviceable libero. Then add freakin Foluke Akinradewo to that mix. It would be stupid if they didn't beat everybody.

Hisamitsu Springs
    v Toyota Body Queens ... 3-0 ... [25-22 , 25-23 , 25-22]

Still haven't lost hope for Toyota. They played well, really well. Momoko Higane is their setter. I'm going to mention her because nobody else ever has or ever will, and she's worth being mentioned. Kind of a goofyfuck, great court energy, short enough to get under balls.

Nobody else really stood out. Maybe the stats will say differently. Don't care. This was wonderful Japanese Team Volleyball. From both teams. Of course, Foluke made the last kill.

• Neriman was called for back row attack violations three times. Feet have to be completely behind the line on takeoff and she wasn’t.

Ah, thanks.

• Not everybody will enjoy this as much as I did--it's just a silly, get out of the way of the ball move--but this is the kind of entertainment I'm talking about:

Oh crap, it seems it won't embed with a "time" stamp
    https://youtu.be/MDK_14pQg8U?t=4433

• Neriman gives Yuki a facial, ouch!

• Hisamitsu's got their mojo back. Doesn't look good for Toyota after 2 sets

• Akinradewo killed 'em in both directions. Toyota had a few moments of inspired block coverage, but they needed it. Hisamitsu was having a block party.

I wish it wasn't such a blowout after a wonderful game #1

Hisamitsu Springs v Toyota Body Queens ... 3-0 ... [25-17 , 25-20 , 25-12]

• What a drag. No commentary for the Final game 1.

Hisamitsu 9-3 JT in set 1. The faces of the girls on JT already look beaten. Not good.

Akinradewo has already aced JT's libero Kobata three times.